RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Why is my Fuji Del Rey more stable than...

my new Giant Defy Advanced 0? Don't get me wrong - I love my new ultralight, Ultegra Di2 electric shift, 20 speed Ferrari.

However, since I've been cycling a lot more after a long hiatus, I noticed my 30 year old Fuji Del Rey is a more stable bike. I mean, she still whips down decents as stable as can be. I can take both hands off the bars, and straight she goes.

On the other hand, the race pedigree Giant is prone to being a bit twitchy, and I hardly dare remove a hand from the controls. Is it the shorter wheelbase? The carbon frame? The Giant is WAY lighter in the front. Maybe the relaxed geometry?

PS: I bought my gun metal grey Fuji new at Bike Rack in Ithaca, NY in 1983 for $300.00, which was a lot of money for a poor grad student.......I found it in my barn in the BlueRidge Mountains of VA and started riding it after I bought the Defy. In the rugged hills here, electric shift is almost a must.
    Last edited by wthensler; 09-25-2012 at 05:23 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Since I am too lazy to look up the specs of both bikes, my guess would be some combination of longer wheelbase, slacker head tube angle, and more trail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have the same thing to say as I compare my old Fuji Team to my new Focus Cayo.
    The Fuji is just rock solid on 45 mph down hill desents but the Focus is so twitchy on some downhills that I hit the brakes and let the group go. It's my only gripe about the new bike. The electric shifting is so perfect.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wthensler View Post
    In the rugged hills here, electric shift is almost a must.
    Good god, how did people even manage to ride a bike before electric shift? At least now that it's available, we can finally dare to tackle those them "rugged hills" there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirx View Post
    Good god, how did people even manage to ride a bike before electric shift? At least now that it's available, we can finally dare to tackle those them "rugged hills" there.
    I don't have a good answer for that, but I once went camping over a weekend with a friend that brought his new FAX machine........

RoadBikeReview Member
    ... I gots nuthin... but just had to peek at this thread since you mentioned a Del Rey. One of my good buds still has his and uses it often... If I get a chance, I'll ask him the Q.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Akirasho View Post
    ... I gots nuthin... but just had to peek at this thread since you mentioned a Del Rey. One of my good buds still has his and uses it often... If I get a chance, I'll ask him the Q.
    My Del Rey still rocks In the shop for a new chain, brakes and a general tune-up. It has served me well over the years and is my daily rider in Boston, and perfect for the *!&@ 'roads' up here........

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I'm also peeking due to the Del Rey reference.

My Del Rey died a warrior's death in 1994 when I buried its front wheel into the side of a left-hooking car at 25+ mph (I was descending a hill). It had served as a commuter for a couple of years as well as for long weekend rides, and it was on this bike that I really got into "serious" cycling.

I don't remember it being any more stable on descents than my current bikes (Cannondale T700 and Mondonico Futura Leggaro), though neither of these have aggressive geometry.

---------------------------

Enthusiast/Touring bike vs. Modern "Everyone Races!" bike.... gee, I can't imagine why the older one is more stable....
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    Enthusiast/Touring bike vs. Modern "Everyone Races!" bike.... gee, I can't imagine why the older one is more stable....
    Hahaha! Right you are!

banned
    Jul 2012
    I think more so than the geometry differences......a heavier bike is going to be more stable- just as a 600 lb. Kawasaki motorcicle is more stable than my 200 lb. scooter.

Lighter isn't always better- You don't want unnecessary weight of course....but you don't necessarily want the absolute lightest thing that just barely supports your weight, either.....

This sport (like many other sports/hobbies) is over-run with marketing propaganda.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I agree about the over-salesmanship in the cycling business. Is my Giant worth 15x more than my Fuji?? No way. Am I sold into believing I need it?? Hmmm.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    In the rugged hills here, electric shift is almost a must.
    Gosh, how did I ever survive riding up and down the Sierra Nevada's all those years? What a minute, I'm surviving perfectly fine without it today. Techno geeks, seesh

Unlabeled
    if being a minute slower per hour of riding does not matter to you, the Fuji is a better designed bike
    Lugged Steel Treks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CycoBob View Post
    I think more so than the geometry differences......a heavier bike is going to be more stable- just as a 600 lb. Kawasaki motorcicle is more stable than my 200 lb. scooter.

Lighter isn't always better- You don't want unnecessary weight of course....but you don't necessarily want the absolute lightest thing that just barely supports your weight, either.....

This sport (like many other sports/hobbies) is over-run with marketing propaganda.
    This has absolutely ZERO to do with weight. This shows you still don't have an education in bicycles, and will continue to lack understanding.

It's entirely frame geometry. The old Fuji likely has a longer wheelbase and more trail, and possibly a lower BB, resulting in a much more stable ride. It doesn't take much more trail to be noticeable in handling.

Some folks like a slow handling, stable bike. Others like a very fast handling, twitchy bike.
    Last edited by JoelS; 09-29-2012 at 06:43 AM.