Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008

Why Are My Tires So Incredibly Difficult To Install???

I just got my campagnolo vento reactions and Conti GP4000S's in the mail. I'm trying to install the tires but they just won't go on. I got one side of the rear wheel on, but even that is such a tight fit it tries to stay in the middle of the rim because the bead is actually tighter than the inside of the rim so goes to the part with the smallest circumfrance.

What do I do?

kytyree
    Are you using tire levers? Some tire/rim combos are harder than others, Conti clinchers are a little bit of work on most of my wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    A friend of mine puts new tires in his clothes dryer and after getting them warmed up, they go right on. Seriously.

There are definitely combos that are difficult.

A lot of people where I live have been buying XERO road wheels and having lots of trouble getting tires on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    yeah im using levers.

how long in the dryer do you think would be sufficient?

haole from the mainland
    As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew they were Contis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    haha, yeah during the installation i actually checked to make sure they weren't 650c

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I got the same problem with my last set of 4000s. The rear will just not go in no matter how hard I tried. All was needed is the last push to get the tire into the rim. I even tried taking the tire out of the rim and stretching the tire by pulling with my hands while holding it with my foot. Still wouldn't go in after more than an hour of fighting and my fingers hurting. Finally took it to the LBS and the mechanic "rolled" in the last piece of tire into the rim with his hands. Took him a little bit more than 5 mins and even he said that was tough. I don't know why conti makes them so tight. My front slipped on pretty easily. Maybe it's quality production control problem at the plant.

kytyree
    Some of it is the tires, but the rims can also be a culprit. Neuvation wheels for example can be very hard to mount tires on they have even gone as far in the past as suggesting certain brands of tires to use with them because of it.

Radical
    I had problems with the Grand Prix 4000 S as well on my older Mavic E2 rims. They were a beast. I finally used my BIG Park levers (TL5) to 'pop' on that last few. Now I have Open Pro ceramic rims for them. They go right on with little fighting. Go figure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Combine that with Campy wheels being on the large side 700c. I just swapped a pair of Conti 4 Seasons from my Sciroccos to a new pair of Neutrons and after being mounted for a year, they were still tough...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Coat the tire (inside and out), rim and tube in liquid soap and then give it a go with levers or one of those special tools. Thats how I get my impossible to mount trainer tire on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Use a blow dryer.

Just Plain Bitter
    If your in SoCal just leave them in the car in the sun for an hour of so. They pop right on.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I leave mine in a hot bath for about an hour. I have a few sets of Neuvations that I have been able to mount conti's on by doing this .

RoadBikeReview Member

Wink

[QUOTE=bemmis]I just got my campagnolo vento reactions and Conti GP4000S's in the mail. I'm trying to install the tires but they just won't go on. I got one side of the rear wheel on, but even that is such a tight fit it tries to stay in the middle of the rim because the bead is actually tighter than the inside of the rim so goes to the part with the smallest circumfrance.

This is really a problem with Campy wheels. I used to use Michelins but changed over to Vredesteins due to this. I have found that folding bead tires really don't stretch much after being on the rim. There is nothing worse than getting a puncture and not being able to get the tire off. The snapping point for me was when I had broken two of Pedro's heavy duty tire levers on the Michelins and just said fu** this crap and gave all my remaining tires away to friends. I have found that Vittoria tires are a good match to the Campy wheels too.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    I agree here...I'd switch tires...

Every time I try to mount an extremely difficult tire on a rim, I imagine myself on the side of the road, out in the middle of nowhere, trying to change a flat..... It's usually enough motivation to put different tire on the rim.

I sold a pair of Dura Ace 7700 wheels because tires were so hard to mount
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

Call me a Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hickey
    I agree here...I'd switch tires...

Every time I try to mount an extremely difficult tire on a rim, I imagine myself on the side of the road, out in the middle of nowhere, trying to change a flat..... It's usually enough motivation to put different tire on the rim.

I sold a pair of Dura Ace 7700 wheels because tires were so hard to mount
    I've got a set of tires in the basement that have been there for 4 years for that reason. I can, eventually, get them mounted on my rims, but if I flatted, I'd have to get a ride home.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Off the back.

As soon as I saw the thread title, I knew they were Contis.

Ditto.

Also knew they were Campy rims. I go with Vittoria with no problem at all.
    Looking for a certain ratio...
    Oh-oh, nothing there this time

banned
    Apr 2008

Campy Neutrons. . .

I've had the same issue with Pro Race 2/3 on my Neutrons. Absolutely brutal to install, but on a set of Mavic Open Pros I have, no problem.

kytyree
    Vittoria's are nice, and its handy to be able to take the tire on and off with only your thumbs, less stuff to carry and less work.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Buy some 5/16" diameter braided nylon rope about 6' long from the spool at your local hardware store. Once you get at least 2/3's of the 2nd tire bead over the rim pack the rope between that portion of the rim and the tire; this helps hold the bead near the deeper section of the rim. It will aid in getting the remaining 1/3 of the bead over the rim's edge. The rope trick works great for removal too; used to struggle with tires before the rope trick dawned on me.

Sleep Expert
    My GP4000's were a major pain to install on my Neuvation rear wheel... Good tires, awful to install though.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    i finally got them on after heating them in the dryer. I could push on the bead up until about a foot was left. I put one side of the gap under my knee, while i jammed a tire tool between the bead and the rim then slid it and worked it on another two inches or so. With a second tool i stuck it behind the bead and caught in on the rim inside and used it like a crowbar while i pushed with my thumb to snap on the bead about 2" down from the first tool. I did the crowbar motion like five times per bead. The last few times were the worst, It was awful and painful.

Radical
    Great news! Another trick to add to the arsenal is using talcum-powder. Dust the area and tire with it. It can help it slide over the edge without getting soap on your hands - complicating matters - and elsewhere. I have a few new callouses on my thumbs from engaging in a similar war the other day: Mavic A719's and Rivendell Roll-y Pol-y tires. Ouch!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Some good tips here, wish I'd read them before trying to wrestle my Conti's onto a khamsin weelset.

I also managed to pinch a tube during installation for the first time.... So I got to go ahead and take the tire off and remount it. I snapped the plastic on two tire levers through this entire process.

I have Vittoria on my other bike, and I just got the Contis because they were cheaper and looked fairly nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast