RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012

Why, now, am I chafing?

Since May 1 I've put 1800 miles on the clock and up until the last couple weeks, no monkey butt. I've never needed chamois cream. Now I can't ride 5 miles without lubing up - I don't get it. What brings on the monkey butt? And why now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe you changed your posture or you need new shorts or your saddle moved or you increased your cadence or you are mashing less or your saddle is spent?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Got the same issue, went for 35 with a higher cadence and noticed dry blood on my chammy. Checked below and have an open wound. Currently treating it but it is keeping me off the bike. 2600 miles last year and only 1600 this year. Ordered new bibs. I did loose some weight this year so I am hoping that is the answer.

Team Tom's
    Body shape has changed due to a loss of weight which contributes to slight differences in mobility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MaddSkillz View Post
    Body shape has changed due to a loss of weight which contributes to slight differences in mobility.
    ^^This^^

Lose weight and nothing is the same. I now wear a size smaller bottom than top. All is good again.

- I -
    Also, make sure you don't have jock itch. I had some chafing that would not go away, turned out it was jock itch. Treated it and the problem went away.

35mph Average
    buy a bottle of crotchguard spray its the only thing thats ever worked for me
    undefeated winner of the lantern rouge

RoadBikeReview Member
    What everyone has said makes a lot of sense. I'll add another possibility; pimples. If a pimple was continually irritated it could turn into a wound-care type of thing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Check for ingrown hairs... That had me using chamois cream for a couple weeks. Never had issues before.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodi Crescent View Post
    Also, make sure you don't have jock itch. I had some chafing that would not go away, turned out it was jock itch. Treated it and the problem went away.
    Yep same thing happened to me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tee tree oil products are very good for treatment of ingrown hairs, with minimal sting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Petroleum jelly

I changed saddles and got "saddle rash" near the "sit bones."

Petroleum jelly at night lets you ride in the day.

Mad-one...
    I use Savlon cream for the odd saddle sore. It is an antiseptic and kills bacteria.
    There is NO rehearsal - this is the real thing.

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Oasisbill View Post
    I use Savlon cream for the odd saddle sore. It is an antiseptic and kills bacteria.

Um; That statement is redundant.
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Heat and humidity could also be a factor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Avoid chamois creams that contain the preservatives methylisothiazolinone (Assos) or diazolidinyl urea. These are very strong allergens which will cause contact sensitization after prolonged use. Methylisothiazolinone (Kathon) is responsible for an epidemic of contact sensitization. Diazolidinyl urea and other similar preservatives such as quaternium-15, DMDM hydantoin and 1,4 dioxane work by releasing formaldehyde - a toxic carcinogenic allergen. Most patients that are hypersensitive to methylisothiazolinone are also cross-sensitive to formaldehyde releasing preservatives. Johnson and Johnson is working to remove all formaldehyde releasers from its products in the next few years. Hopefully they won't replace them with the much worse methylisothiazolinone which is in many of their sunscreens including "sensitive skin" products. If your skin isn't sensitive now it will be if after you use a product with methylisothiazolinone.

Some of you that think that you have jock itch or other irritation are probably suffering from methylisothiazolinone contact sensitivity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2012

x2

Quote Originally Posted by Kodi Crescent View Post
    yep...same thing here...almost all summer. didnt know wth it was...tried the dry spray, Lotrimin...better in a couple of days! never HAD THAT B4