Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlieRN View Post
    I'm a little ashamed to a) admit that I read through this whole thread and; b) resurrect it from it's fairly shallow grave. For the record, as a relatively impartial observer, the arguments in the thread have convinced me that there is a slight advantage to TA, mostly due to the potential for obsolesce associated with QR skewers.

My purpose is not to add to the debate (which was certainly amusing, if at times more than a bit snarky), but to pose a question related to the great QR-TA argument.

I'm in the process of doing a bike build around an endurance/gravel disc frameset that has an "interchangeable dropout system for 9mm QR or 12x142 TA" and a fork that can only handle 9mm QR. I'll be having a wheelset built, so the question is: Better to have both hubs as 9mm QR or have a front QR hub and and a rear TA?

Since your fork is QR only, you should probably just go QR all around. The benefits to TA don't apply as much to the rear as the do in the front (TA can really stiffen up an otherwise floppy fork).

If you haven't chosen your wheel components already, I might suggest that you have the wheels built using hubs that can be converted between any modern system (QR/TA-12mm/TA-15mm). This will future proof them and make them adaptable between different bikes.

I know DT Swiss hubs have interchangeable end caps that allow conversion without the need for any tools. Some other hubs can be converted but are a a bit more involved (Chris King for example). I think White hubs can be converted fairly easily as well (only requires a small allen key if I recall correctly). These are hubs I have personal experience with, and they are all excellent. There are probably many others out now that offer this feature - I'm sure others will chime in with details.
    Last edited by Migen21; 3 Days Ago at 09:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post

. .
    . Some other hubs can be converted but are a a bit more involved (Chris King for example). I think White hubs can be converted fairly easily as well (only requires a small allen key if I recall correctly). These are hubs I have personal experience with, and they are all excellent. There are probably many others out now that offer this feature - I'm sure others will chime in with details.
    I'm using T11 hubs with Achetype rims on my current bike and am very pleased. My preference is to stick with White; I'm going to contact them on the question of convertibility.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    I'm using T11 hubs with Achetype rims on my current bike and am very pleased. My preference is to stick with White; I'm going to contact them on the question of convertibility.
    They sell the conversion kits on their website.

CONVERSION KITS — White Industries

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    Shirley you can't be serious.
    I thought the saying went, You can't be serious Shirley. ;)

OP, many alternative designs occupy bicycles. Many are frustrated by press fit BB's for example. Or proprietary seatposts.

Simply purchase the bicycle which has the design features you prefer. Coming from the world of design, ever single design ever conceived has both benefit and drawback.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345