Pooped a refrigerator.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    Specifically: what did they miss? Which signs before the starts were there that would have shown them it would snap?
    Blows your hair back.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    Carbon bar.

No advance warning of failure, no early cracks, etc...

They just fail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    chinese carbon.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve B. View Post
    Carbon bar.

No advance warning of failure, no early cracks, etc...

They just fail.
    I know it's being reported as a bar crack, but it really looks to me like the stem gave way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SauronHimself View Post
    In the video there is a window after the bars snap off where the rider is holding them and looking at them with a "WTF just happened?" look. That can't be a good feeling

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    I know it's being reported as a bar crack, but it really looks to me like the stem gave way.
    Doesn't matter whether it was the bar, stem, or steerer. It was carbon, and that risk is the price you pay for lusting after light parts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Doesn't matter whether it was the bar, stem, or steerer. It was carbon, and that risk is the price you pay for lusting after light parts.
    Right but lusting for light parts and using carbon are not the same thing. Any weight weenie or cheaply made part is more subject to fail regardless of what it's made with. Unlike alloy carbon isn't prone to corrosion from sweat and road salt so all else equal when new carbon would be the safer choice for bars and stems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I understand the point you're making, and tbh I wasn't seeking to refute the reported part failure for the purposes of X is less prone than Y. But since you raised the point (and I'm no physics expert) wouldn't the stem typically be more prone to failure as a part due to the concentration of force/weight? Asking for a friend.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Small bump he went over shifting his weight forward may have contributed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Another reason to do safety checks.....

https://fyxo.co/blogs/fyxo/a-bump-in-the-road-of-life
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Banned forever.....or not
    I had an old aluminum Cinelli bar break on me once. I was with a group and had just finished a sprint and was waiting for traffic to clear at a "T" intersection. I was stopped there with my elbows on the bars when (snap) the right half of the bar gave way. I guess I was lucky.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Carbon bars can break. Aluminum bars can break too:

Customer's sweat build up was so corrosive that his aluminum handlebars snapp... | Rebrn.com

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why You Do Safety Checks-carbon-handlebar-failure.jpg   Why You Do Safety Checks-handlebar-corrosion2.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

"Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
    -- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Carbon bars can break. Aluminum bars can break too.
    This speaks to a serious lack of maintenance. Any "regular" re-wrapping of the bars would have picked this up LONG before it got to this state. It's all part of taking care of your bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    This speaks to a serious lack of maintenance. Any "regular" re-wrapping of the bars would have picked this up LONG before it got to this state. It's all part of taking care of your bike.
    Agreed. But many people don't do regular maintenance on their bikes. I have seen people with bikes where I wondered how the rider is still alive.
    “Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

-- Warren Buffett

"Education is what you get when you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't. -- Pete Seeger

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Have yet to see a good explanation of what happened. One site says "clip-on" aero bars "unclipped" due to pulling in a certain direction..RBR says mech used wrong bolts to attach. I don't buy the "carbon bars fail" as I can't see both sides going simultaneously. If it was a carbon stem failure then OK. But no one is saying that.

scott s.

Road & Trail Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Another reason to do safety checks.....

https://fyxo.co/blogs/fyxo/a-bump-in-the-road-of-life
    "On my way out he mentioned that my front wheel looked a little loose. I didn’t pay it much attention, and rode home."
    WTF???? It's not like a spoke was "a little loose". Why would you not stop for this?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool discussion on carbon breaking... But, I didn't see any carbon breaking in the clip. It really looks like the upper section of his bars simply fell off. If you look at the video around the 22 sec mark, the steer tube is visible. So, at a minimum, it wasn't the bar that broke. Stem maybe... still thinking the upper section just wasn't tight.

Road & Trail Warrior
    Know what I hate about these threads? They always creep into my mind when I'm flying downhill on my full-carbon Scalpel.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlandry View Post
    Know what I hate about these threads? They always creep into my mind when I'm flying downhill on my full-carbon Scalpel.
    Look at the bright side: free vasectomy.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Irons View Post
    That reminds me of a friend who rarely swapped out his bar tape. He called it like wearing an old pair of Levi's. One day, he complained that his right brake lever shifter was very loose. Upon closer inspection, his aluminum handlebar cracked just beneath the shifter clamp. Evidently, his corrosive sweat eventually ate thru the aluminum. Everything was held together by the bar tape and a prayer!

RoadBikeReview Member
    love how the rider 'supermanned' it in. keeps all the road rash on the front of the body so it's easier to attend your own wounds, I guess

not like the judo roll they tried to teach us in racing school

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Two possible takeaways: A.) cycling is ridiculously dangerous with critical parts failures happening without warning at any time,

or B.) with hundreds of millions of riders in the world and billions of cell phones, one-in-a-million failures sometimes get caught on video and we should feel lucky.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
    Two possible takeaways: A.) cycling is ridiculously dangerous with critical parts failures happening without warning at any time,

or B.) with hundreds of millions of riders in the world and billions of cell phones, one-in-a-million failures sometimes get caught on video and we should feel lucky.
    Or possibly C.) Pro racers put far more stresses on all the components of a bike than just about any of us ever will.

-- Warren Buffett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    Or possibly C.) Pro racers put far more stresses on all the components of a bike than just about any of us ever will.
    probably not so, given that most pro racers are under 160lbs and average american MAMILS are over 200 lbs, LOL. further those pros get a new bike every year, or maybe every few weeks given backup bikes and such; while I see riders on 20 year old bike still.

hey I broke 3 freehubs in the last 2 years. bet the pros never break em. not uncommon for me to see 1100W on my power meter some rides, momentarily
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 09-17-2017 at 12:15 PM.