RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018

Will there be a Cervelo Gravel Bike ?

Any word on the street as to whether Cervelo will be releasing a true gravel bike anytime soon? I am a loyal Cervelo customer looking to purchase a gravel bike. I am close to purchasing the Trek Checkpoint but would hold off if Cervelo had plans to release a gravel bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    how would a cervelo gravel bike be different than what's out there now?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveFM View Post
    Any word on the street as to whether Cervelo will be releasing a true gravel bike anytime soon? I am a loyal Cervelo customer looking to purchase a gravel bike. I am close to purchasing the Trek Checkpoint but would hold off if Cervelo had plans to release a gravel bike.
    Why not ask your Cervelo dealer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Like this?

Let’s say you like to ride pavement a fair amount, but you also want a bike that is confidence inspiring and stable on harder packed dirt. Let’s also say that you like a bike that doesn’t give up much compared to an ultralight pavement only road bike in the climbs. Meet the Cervelo C3 and C5.

The Cervelo C series bikes are performance oriented endurance road bikes at heart. With clearance for tires in the 32-34mm range, the Cervelo C-Series are gravel capable bikes. Being made by Cervelo, they are also bikes with a deep race oriented heritage. This makes them a great option for the rider who is not looking to explore unmaintained Class 4 roads, but is still interested in riding good condition dirt roads without compromising when they are on the pavement.

Cervelo uses the same 73 degree seat tube angle across all sizes of their bikes. From a fit perspective, this means some folks seat position may not align well with the seat tube angle Cervelo uses (73°) on their road bikes. However, it also means that Cervelo’s reach and stack on their sizes is linear and progressive (each size gets taller and longer in an even manner). One would think that this would be true of all bikes, but it is not. There are bike models where the size small actually has a shorter stack/or reach than the XS. We like how Cervelo’s sizes don’t get distorted; it makes more sense and is a lot more logical and clear.

If they fit you well, the Cervelo C-Series are very versatile bikes that can serve as “one bike to rule them all” for many riders.

Pluses – A lightweight endurance road bike that is very capable on the pavement and not at all afraid of good quality dirt. Consistent sizing. Race inspired responsiveness and climbing. Cervelo’s most supple and compliant bike model
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    "Not capable of taking a tire much over 33mm (depending on rim); not designed for riding loose dirt or sand"

"Remember, this is a road bike making no claim of gravel prowess"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    That Trek looks pretty sweet!

PS. Not sure if I like the sliding drop out though??
    Oh my, a troll who doesn't know the difference between your and you're. What will they think of next?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018
    Agreed! It is a great looking bike and the reviews have been very positive (except Road.cc which was negative).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Agreed! It is a great looking bike and the reviews have been very positive (except Road.cc which was negative).
    what didn't they like?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2018

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    I read the review.

I also run the 45mm riddlers and like them a lot.

They should have put a clutch derailleur on the bike.

Still don't like the sliding drop outs.

PS. I agree with them on the funky cabling, I also don't like little oddball things like that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    If the same bike designer as Cervelo would be close enough for you look into Open U.P.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    wow, that is a pretty harsh review. As a Trek hater it made me smile a bit though

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by factory feel View Post
    I read the review.

I also run the 45mm riddlers and like them a lot.

They should have put a clutch derailleur on the bike.

Still don't like the sliding drop outs.

PS. I agree with them on the funky cabling, I also don't like little oddball things like that.

Trek has been using that adjustable dropout for some time now. In this case it allows you to adjust the handling - from a short wheelbase with cyclocross feel to a solid touring geometry.

What is it that you don't like about that feature?

Many people have been asking for a "quiver killer" bike - one bike that can do everything well. Well, this is the closest I have seen yet.

Yes, I own a Checkpoint SL5. It is not my main bike, but it is for adventurous rides and vacations. I have found nothing I dislike about it yet.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    While I'm not a big Trek fan, I have to say this review seems a bit unfair. Harshness is largely from tires, less so from the bike. And criticizing a bike for its tires doesn't seem fair as tires are the easiest thing to swap out for something wider or more supple.
    "With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."-- DCGriz, RBR.

“Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    wow, that is a pretty harsh review. As a Trek hater it made me smile a bit though
    I only scanned it but too small tires, and gearing isn't really a valid reason to slam a bike. That's personal preference and what the trek has for each is definitely reasonable for what most people want for gravel riding. The reviewer seems to expect a monster cross bike.

As for the stiff front end. I wonder if this is his first disc brake bike ride. Not sure about this but I think the front end needs to be beefed up for disc brakes.

It look pretty good to me except I'm not sure about the rear drop out and if I'd care that that.