Witty custom user title

Wind jacket/shell...recommendations?

This is the one piece that I just cannot seem to lock down. I have winter jackets, medium weight, etc but I just need a well constructed, packable wind jacket that doesn't fit like a parachute, and isn't going to overheat me or break my wallet. I see no reason at all to spend more than maybe $75 for a piece like this. I recently picked up a Craft wind jacket from PBK, but the fit was ridiculous - it was like an oversized pullover, certainly not a good road cycling jacket. I'd prefer more of a club fit, I suppose.

What are you guys using that you just simply couldn't do without?

RoadBikeReview Member

Briko

I have two Briko jackets which have windstopper on the front of the body and arms, breathable stretch non-fleece fabric on the rest. Two pockets in the back and a full zipper in the front with a wind flap. Light in weight and fit nicely over a long sleeve or short sleeve jersey, same type cut. I seem them come up now and then for sale at right in your price range. Highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by E 12
    This is the one piece that I just cannot seem to lock down. I have winter jackets, medium weight, etc but I just need a well constructed, packable wind jacket that doesn't fit like a parachute, and isn't going to overheat me or break my wallet. I see no reason at all to spend more than maybe $75 for a piece like this. I recently picked up a Craft wind jacket from PBK, but the fit was ridiculous - it was like an oversized pullover, certainly not a good road cycling jacket. I'd prefer more of a club fit, I suppose.

i've got limited minutes left in life, don't waste my time

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    The Hammer, made by Voler, wind jacket is about $65. They had some on clearance, so you might find one cheaper. It fits well, not like a parachute, and will wad up really small if you want to take it off.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    My vote is for Castelli Teseo jacket. It's made from rip-stop nylon and packs up small enough to easily fit into a jersey pocket. I have had one since 2005. I use it over a winter jersey on cold days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Picked up a Biemme jacket with windstopper mat'l. Beautifully made and does not flap around like most wind jackets I've owned. Picked it up at STP for a bit more than you're looking to spend.

Fit is good, a little short in the sleeves for me, but I have long arms - still keeping it.

It only hurts if you think.

Squirrel Hunter
    Feb 2003

Vest

Quote Originally Posted by E 12
    Vest and arm warmers. Easy on/off while riding, stuff in pockets easily, wide temperature range with easy adjustment for varying conditions/effort levels. If you don't need a winter jacket this is the way to go.

Lightweight shells at your price level usually lack adequate ventilation and are useless for keeping water out.
    Luck is the intersection of preparation and opportunity.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The below is the best wind jacket I've ever had. I usually don't like Pearl Izumi products -- they're usually kind of cheaply made. This is an exception.

It's made of a fabric that is the most wind-resistant lightweight fabric I've ever seen (and I do winter sports), and is also the most packable. You can pack this jacket so small that it can easily fit into a jersey pocket (I use a size "L"). It's also cut in a nice way (very trim). The sleeves also remove to form a vest.

You can get this jacket for around your price.

Pearl Izumi Vagabond Jacket

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I have a Louis Garneau Max Clime Jacket (2007) and it is great. Fits snuggly and repells wind & water very well. It will heat up, but I have yet to hear of a nearly waterproof jacket that will not.

Oops, I would say the Max Clime is a good rain jacket, but it is not the most packable jacket out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a craft rain jacket and it fit nice a snug, but I still rarely wear it.

the truth is if it that cold an rainy I just won't ride. My most used rain gear is my clear Assos vest. It packs away nicely in a jersey pocket when not needed and does a great job of battling both wind and rain.

MTT
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Another vote for Windstopper jackets. Very warm and comfy this time of year- I am on my second one............MTT