RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2006

wind trainer "vintage" Avenir

My daughter just bought a Cannondale 500 hybrid with a carbon fork. I have given her my "vintage" avenir wind trainer where the fork clamps on the front support and the rear wheel rolls on the wind cage. I am hoping this will get her by until she can afford to buy a fluid trainer like I use.
    My question is...is there a chance that any damage can be done to the frame or the fork with this unit?
    Big Red
    Last edited by Big Red; 03-19-2006 at 07:21 AM. Reason: title format

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

had 1 20years ago

I had the same kind of trainer 20 years ago. with the squirrel cage fans on the back. what a racket that thing made. But I rode the heck out of that thing, had to reaplce the bearing assembly 2x. never had a problem with the bike frame. but remember good bike handling. Just because you can't fall over, doesn't mean you shouldn't ride smoothly. She needs to focus on keeping the bike still, or it may put too much stress on the fork

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red
    My daughter just bought a Cannondale 500 hybrid with a carbon fork. I have given her my "vintage" avenir wind trainer where the fork clamps on the front support and the rear wheel rolls on the wind cage. I am hoping this will get her by until she can afford to buy a fluid trainer like I use.
    My question is...is there a chance that any damage can be done to the frame or the fork with this unit?
    Big Red