banned

Winter Bike Storage

Howdy folks,

I purchased a 2010 Trek 4.5 Road Bike back in mid June (pic attached) and could not be happier. I was able to ride it through the month of November here in New York, almost every day since June, but it finally got to cold to ride so have to retire it until Spring.

I was wondering what is the best way to store my bike until I can ride it again?

In other words:

1. Should I keep the tires inflated at the max pressure, 125 psi, deflate them partially or totally?

2. I can store it inside, room temp or in my garage (preferable), around 45F degree, not sure if colder weather storage is good or not? The bike frame is all Carbon.

3. Also, any suggestion I did not touch upon is welcome.

Not sure if bike storage matters much but this website gave me excellent feedback from cyclists before I purchased my bike, things I never thought about thus I chose to post this thread.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter Bike Storage-2010-trek-4.5-pic1.jpg  

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Store in the garage..no worries....the tires will take care of themselves over time( they will lose air on their own)...

nice bike.....
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Keep it anywhere you want, hang it upside down by the wheels even, tire inflation does not matter they will leak down in a few weeks. in other words, dont worry and dont make it complicated. Nice bike

Just Plain Bitter
    I would clean it real well and make sure everything was lubed up real good and then retire it to the garage. If you think it is lonely during the winter you can always bring it inside and wax it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous
    things I never thought about thus I chose to post this thread.
    Perhaps not on the Madone, but have you thought of riding in the winter?

My Trek Portland would be very angry with me if I didn't take it out to play in the snow. It's like a puppy when the snow tires come up from the basement.

BTW, I live in Rochester NY, on the cloudy shore of Lake Ontario. Since I started cycling, I've never missed a day of bike commuting. This is my fifth winter.

As for storage, mine hang out in the living room all year...

so I don't do anything special with them for winter. If I had a garage, the metal bits I'd keep dry, and maybe a light coating of oil on them to keep corrosion at bay. The temperature isn't the issue, it's the dampness.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew
    The temperature isn't the issue
    As a matter of fact, to keep corrosion at bay, the colder the better. Chemical reactions have a way of speeding up when temperatures rise. On the other hand, if the bike is cleaned up before storage, there will be no corrosion, regardless.

Inspiring pictures, Bruce! It only got to + 45 deg. F. here today, so I bagged my ride. I hang my head in shame....

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    I ride all year in northern Ohio, and I have a foul weather bike. My other bike is completely detailed, lubed, adjusted, and all maintenance performed. I hang it in the garage by hooks & cover it with a tarp. When spring comes I can take it down, air up the tires & I'm ready to go.

One small caution; if you're planning to store your bike inside be aware that the humidity levels in an average home during the winter are drier that desert air. Also all electric motors produce ozone which dries out, causes premature aging & cracking of tires. I think bikes are best left outside in a safe, secure, unheated shelter. Temp. doesn't matter.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

banned
    Thanks to all of you for your helpful feedback, I really appreciate it and am glad I posted this thread.

rward,

I did wax my bike months ago and it paid off. I got a cheap “Spray” Turtle Wax and it was super easy to wax the bike. It not only brought out a shine that has lasted, it is much easier to clean with the wax applied.

bruceW,

Your pics are insane, thanks for sharing. I reside just outside of NYC and have family in Pittsford (Rochester). I know your Winters are brutal, and I found that I can ride this road bike and enjoy it until the temperatures drop below 50F. My road bike is not suitable to wet roads, I have to ride it very cautiously whenever the roads are not dry and even a pothole I miss and hit can be a big problem. Even if I changed the tires, I can’t see having fun with the combination of cold and wind. I just returned to jogging today which I dropped after getting this bike last June. It is not nearly as much fun but what the hell, got to work out to keep in shape.

From reading your suggestions, I will store my bike in the garage where I have it now but will just wipe it down. The cooler temperature and preventing cracking from the dry air, which I do have upstairs in my home sounds like good advice.

banned
    Dec 2009
    are there any ill effects of hanging a bike by the top tube for months at a time indoors?

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUISSSSS
    are there any ill effects of hanging a bike by the top tube for months at a time indoors?
    None, zero, zip. The thing about indoor storage is that a significant temperature change creates condensation, which can turn to water inside the frame tubes. These temperature changes occur when bringing a bike from an air conditioned environment into the summer heat, and when bringing a bike from a cold outside environment into a warm room. However, the amount of water created is so small that it hardly matters.

The heated winter storage turned out to be a bad thing in Germany when they were still salting the roads in winter (no longer done). Body panel folds with salt in them would rust dramatically quicker in a heated garage than they would in a cold garage or with outdoor parking.

Slippery Old Devil
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    As a matter of fact, to keep corrosion at bay, the colder the better. Chemical reactions have a way of speeding up when temperatures rise. On the other hand, if the bike is cleaned up before storage, there will be no corrosion, regardless.
    Avoid high humidity and fluctuating temps especially with steel or uncoated alloy. My nephew left a bike I built for him in a southern Wisconsin garage for one winter and it aged ten years. Three cars coming and going daily with snow. Cold garage and bike. Then three cars come in at the end of the day, warmth and moisture versus cold bike. You get the idea.

Baltic Scum
    Quote Originally Posted by LOUISSSSS
    To the bike? No.

To the owner? He'll find out ten minutes into the first spring hammerfest...
    Was juckt es die stolze Eiche, wenn sich ein Schwein an ihr kratzt?

TWD
    you might want to pull the battery from the blinky

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Wax, use Pledge. Great for motorcycles too

ReviewBikeRoad Member

Are steel bikes OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    One small caution; if you're planning to store your bike inside be aware that the humidity levels in an average home during the winter are drier that desert air. Also all electric motors produce ozone which dries out, causes premature aging & cracking of tires. I think bikes are best left outside in a safe, secure, unheated shelter. Temp. doesn't matter.
    I was actually just about to ask this exact question, so maybe I'll thread jack a little rather than starting a whole new thread. Sorry if that gets under anyone's skin.

Does being outside harm steel? I have a 3rd floor, covered porch that I'm using as overflow storage right now, and I put one of my bikes out there. It's steel, but I assume that if it doesn't get rained on, it won't be harmed. Is that a correct assumption?

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Sure, I can't see how that would harm it in any way as long as it stays protected from rain, snow, etc.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.