RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010

Wool socks in the heat

Just a quick plug for wool socks in hot weather. Rode yesterday in 85 degrees and humidity with a pair of DeFeet Blaze wool socks (blend of wool and stretchy stuff) , and my feet were cool and dry. I had been using some other kind of synthetic blend socks in hot weather, but I found the wool ones to be much more comfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    I wouldn't have guessed that. Have to look into it as I ride in some nasty hot conditions. Thanks for the tip!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    agreed. it rarely gets that hot where i am but i have no problem riding in my woolie boolies all year round.

Bike Wing Conspiracy

Does it matter if the socks are black or white?

in the sun and all that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wool socks in the heat-stuckintraffic.jpeg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Chiming in with a "me too", here.

I switched to wool socks for all types of activities, years ago (heck, decades ago, now). Cotton, of course, is totally unusable - get wet and stay wet, poor insulative value, bunch up and cause horrendous blisters. Synthetic socks are too slippery for me, and lead to friction blisters, at least while running, or hiking/backpacking. Sythetics are OK for skiing in warmer weather, but don't insulate like wool when it is cold. I got into cycling later, so I've always worn wool for that.

Heat is not an issue - the wool/synthetic blends need not be thick, and to me they seem to combine the best of both worlds - wicking, cushioning, durability, protection from friction, insulation (if needed).

----------------------------

RoadBikeReview Member
    *all* my cycling socks are wool. Wool = Win.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep. Wool is the original, all natural, "technical fabric". Thin wool jerseys work just as well as the synthetic stuff.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    The best wool sock out there is the Swiftwick Merino Pursuit. It has all the awesome benefits of wool with a compressive cuff and great fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I used to hike a lot in the summer with thick (for the padding) wool socks and my feet were never "cool and dry" but they were a lot closer to being so than they would be with any other type of sock.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripper4life View Post
    The best wool sock out there is the Swiftwick Merino Pursuit. It has all the awesome benefits of wool with a compressive cuff and great fit.

Their synthetic socks are great too. Best I've used, by far. I'll have to give their wool a try.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I also wear DeFeet Blaze wool socks, and find they work fine in hot weather. When starting with wool socks on a cold morning, I found they were just fine in afternoon heat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Despite their uber-Fred status, I find the Rapha socks really good. They have a summer and a winter sock, and getting the 3-sock bundle for $50 makes them very reasonable.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi View Post
    Yep. Wool is the original, all natural, "technical fabric". Thin wool jerseys work MUCH BETTER THAN the synthetic stuff.
    fixed it for you
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Endura baba socks ... thin and the softest wool I have found

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thor-Lo blend.

Old, slow, and fat.
    Wore some today actually.

Good stuff

M
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Until I saw this post I thought I was the only one that "got it" concerning wool socks. I use Smartwool and I my feet are always comfortable. The last 2 years of the Trek Across Maine 3 day charity ride were in the 90's, no problem with my feet :-)
    I am probably the last person to have received an email from Sheldon Brown! A very nice gentleman.

2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple
    105 Shifter/derailleurs
    FSA Gossamer Triple MegaExo
    BWW Blackset Race 11 wheels
    Continental Gators 25c
    Kool Stop Salmon brake pads
    Cateye Strada Double Wireless CC-RD400DW
    Sigma PC-9 HRM
    RADBOT-1000 rear strobe flasher
    Blaze 1/2w LED headlight

RoadBikeReview Member

Smartwool Lite Cycling Socks

I've been using Smartwool's Lite Cycling Socks all season and they have been performing great in all conditions. Today was 96 degrees w/ 50% humidity during my 40 mile ride and my feet were dry and comfy throughout. Maybe I'll try their Ultralite socks when it gets truly hot here...
    HERKWO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I wear wool socks whenever I can--slowly adding them as the synthetic ones wear out. SmartWool Phd Ultra Lite work and are easy to find.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Another big plus for Smartwool Ultra Lite socks. I switched to wool for running and then got into cycling and it seemed obvious to ride in wool as well. Comfortable and cool year round.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Wool is great, insulates and keeps you warm even when wet.

If it's super hot though, I may reach for a cotton pair!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clicker7 View Post
    Wool is great, insulates and keeps you warm even when wet.

If it's super hot though, I may reach for a cotton pair!
    Negatory there good buddy. Bad idea. Wool and good synthetic technical fabrics are better than cotton in any circumstances.
    ... 'cuz that's how I roll.

tjc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

great topic

I was wondering about wool in the hot weather (Arizona 90+, anything over a hundred is too hot to ride out). Will give the wool a try.

Looking at the SmartWool ultra lights on-line, noticed they have cycling specific vs running specific (look identical but cycling are always a few dollars more). Anyone know if they are identical? My shoes are already on the snug side and been using some very thin coolmax that are way past replacing.

Crazy how much for a pair of socks. Also, does wool shrink when washed? 10.5 to 11 shoe thinking about ordering XL size for 12-14.5, but don't want them loose either.

Thanks,

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Rode my first 'Summer' ride with wool socks. Not bad and I think I will continue riding with them.

Dave