RoadBikeReview Member

Worst chamois cream imaginable!

QM Sports Care Antifriction Cream Plus

I don't use chamois cream every day, usually just on very long rides or on hot or humid days when I know that I am going to be sweating a lot.

I was a big fan of Assos chamois cream until they changed the formula sometime last season. It used to be a pale-green color, now it is pale-yellow. It worked exceptionally well for me during my nearly 4000 mile 2011 season (including 8 Centuries). Then I tried the new pale-yellow formula and developed a mild, itchy rash each time I used it. I think that they switched to a plant based formula, and since I have a few mild food allergies I assumed that it was a reaction to the new formula so I had to stop using it. The rash and itching would always disappear shortly after a shower.

Since then I have been trying out other chamois creams and ordered a tub of the QM4A+.
    It is also vegetable based so I was concerned about possibly having a reaction to it. I tried it for the first time yesterday.

I was impressed with how thick it was.
    After I applied it I attempted to wash the extra off of my hands; bathroom hand soap could not dissolve it even after three hand washings. I had to go out to the kitchen and use Dawn dish washing soap to get this stuff off of my hands. When I put on my expensive bibs (Assos T FI.Mille Long Cycling Bib) it felt as though the chamois was being bonded to my ass with industrial strength glue. There was no feeling of anti-friction or lubrication; it felt as though my chamois had just been permanently adhered to my butt cheeks. I then left on my 60 mile, 3000+ feet of climbing training ride (in 90 degree weather) hoping it would get better.

Instead of allowing my chamois to slide around a bit like every other chamois cream I have ever used, the QM4A+ kept my chamois stuck to my butt so that any friction from the saddle would pull on my skin through the bibs. Near the end of the ride this was producing a significant amount of discomfort, nothing I have ever experienced before even when breaking in a new saddle. Still the QM4A+ would not release it's vise-like grip on my skin.

When I got into the shower I used my regular bar soap and had to wash my crotch area multiple times to remove this product. Usually chamois cream rinses off pretty easily, not this stuff. Apparently non-water soluble, it took appreciable effort to remove it. I also noticed that I now had two sore spots (there are actually discolored 'bruised' spots) on the skin over my 'sit bones' from the chamois pulling so much. Even this morning more than 18 hours after my ride the skin is still quite sore and discolored (bruised) from this chamois cream. I am going to have to skip my ride today most likely. I have logged many miles in these bibs and on my saddle (both with and without chamois cream), so I am certain that they were not the problem.

This stuff actually caused the exact type of saddle-sore injury that it is supposed to prevent!

Then I tried to wash my bibs last night.

Thinking this stuff would not wash out easily I pre-treated the chamois with "Shout" laundry pre-treater, but after washing it was apparent that there was still plenty of the QM4A+ in the chamois. You could see it and smell it. My sister recommended "Resolve" maximum strength to me so I made a special run the grocery store and then literally saturated the chamois with it, even scrubbing it a bit with a plastic scrub brush. I then let it sit for over an hour prior to laundering. After the second wash cycle you can still see and smell the QM4A+ in the chamois.

In my opinion this stuff has actually damaged my $250 Assos bibs. How else am I supposed to wash it out if the strongest (rated #1 by Consumer Reports) laundry pre-treatment doesn't? What's next, soak my bibs in my parts cleaner out in the garage?

I have now tried Chamois Buttr, DZ Nuts, Assos, Udder Cream, and have never experienced anything like QM4A+, it should really come with a warning label. I actually like the DZ Nuts, but I'm not a big fan of the 'warming sensation' when I am headed out for a ride on a 90 degree day. Would love to find some 'old formula' Assos. From now on it is probably DZ for cold days and Buttr for hot ones.

I will post a photo of the chamois, but using my camera phone the discoloration in the chamois is not very apparent. You can even feel a bit of 'grease' on your fingers after touching the chamois.

Disclaimer: I do not work in the cycling industry, and have no conflicts of interest with any cycling or cycling related products.

Last edited by Lu-Max; 06-13-2012 at 02:20 PM.

Hai.
    I can see how, by adhering the chamois to you, the cream would reduce friction between the chamois and yourself. If they aren't moving relative to each other, there's no friction. But that doesn't help if it stains everything in sight and still leaves you in bad shape.

I really like OA Smooth Ride Anti-Chafe Cream. I also only use it for longer rides (2+ hours), and it leaves a nice tingling sensation for the first few minutes. Thank you, peppermint oil. FWIW, it looks like it's pretty much plant-based. Water, BTMS, dimethicone, vegetable glycerine, olive oil, tea tree oil, peppermint oil, and germaben.
    Man up, dumb down, and do one gear.

/AYHSMB

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu-Max View Post
    I also noticed that I now had two sore spots (there are actually discolored 'bruised' spots) on the skin over my 'sit bones' from the chamois pulling so much. Even this morning more than 18 hours after my ride the skin is still quite sore and discolored (bruised) from this chamois cream.
    1) thank you for not posting pix.
    2) ever try olive oil? yes I am serious.
    3) aloe vera gel?
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

Master debator.
    Threads like this make me appreciate that I never have to use that nasty stuff in the first place!
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    I like Chomperbody Ballocks. Its not waterbased so it last longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Handwash in the sink with the dishwashing liquid soap and hot water.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2002
    Worst chamois cream ever;

Ben Gay

RoadBikeReview Member

You may want to try this.

Donn, who I think still owns this business only sells stuff that works.

http://centocycling.com/shop/body-ca...ois-cream.html
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Can't chrome carbon.
    Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retrogrouch.

"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the bars"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've never tried chamois creme or got a sore. I must be lucky, although my longest rides are usually 1.5-2 hours so I may not ride long enough to need it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    Your description makes me think QM4A+ is just repackaged Crisco.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Can't chrome carbon.
    Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retrogrouch.

"Keep your eyes on the road and your hands upon the bars"

Fix Altitude in My Tracks
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    ...2) ever try olive oil? yes I am serious...
    +1
    Olive oil takes "chain ring tatoos" off of legs with amazing speed and gentleness. And it's not toxic and easy to wash off. I'd say it's worth a try.
    Altitude Retriever corrects the altitude in your My Tracks tracks and GPX files. Bummed out by how far off the GPS altitude is on your device? Let the Altitude Retriever fetch for out.
    Get it on Google Play!

RoadBikeReview Member
    @bike981 - more like this:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2011
    I use Chamois Buttr. Don't usually put it on my chamois, though. It mainly goes where skin is going to rub on skin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    And I thought Cool Whip was the worst. Feels really good going on, but no staying power....

....Oh....Wait....That's another sport. Never mind.
    It ain't rocket surgery. Buy everything on sale, pedal when you have too, coast when you can, and get home in one piece. Keep going forward - there is no reverse.

OGWB

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't use chamois cream often, but when I do I prefer Queen Helene. Stay slippery my friends...

Ride lots!
    Eddy Merckx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clipped_in View Post
    I don't use chamois cream often, but when I do I prefer Queen Helene. Stay slippery my friends...

Genius!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I disagree. This is the worst chamois cream imaginable:

Icy Hot® Products

Won't make that mistake again!

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Somebody's gotta come up with a chamois cream home brew.
    Don't believe everything you think.

chamois creme addict
    I too was not liking the latest Assos cream. I had been using Chamois Butt'r, flirted with DZ (too much $$). I'm currently testing out Enzo's Buttonhole. So far so good but we are in early days here.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I believe that QM Sports Care is a subsidiary of Elmer's Glue. They must have gotten the production lines mixed up again. I've got a bottle of Elmer's & everything that I try to glue just slides off not sticking at all. OTOH it gives off a very pleasant scent