RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012

Would Shimano Ultegra flightdeck shifters be compatible with a Sora rear-derailleur

Just thinking. Can you upgrade Sora shifters to Shimano ultegra flightdecks without changing the rear-derailleur?

.je
    Success find: 0 items!
    They go together like lego. I have 9-speed Tiagra shifters operating 9 speeds just fine on a formerly "8-speed" 2300 derailleur, which I am guessing is the same item as Sora. I am not sure how different the derailleurs are to precision or feel, but they should operate the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Yes. Keep in mind that the current generation Ultegra shifters are 10-spd and the Sora RD is 9-spd. So you will have an extra shift in the right shifter lever but the RD wont respond because it will hit its "limit".

Burnum Upus Quadricepus
    You'll need a cassette with the same number of "speeds" as the lever you're using. As for the RD itself, it doesn't care.

For completeness, the same is *not* true on the front, because double FDs are a different shape than triple FDs. Although you can use triple levers on a double crankset and FD since the limit screws on the FD will restrict travel.

Quote Originally Posted by lynx1600 View Post
    So you will have an extra shift in the right shifter lever but the RD wont respond because it will hit its "limit".
    Close, but no cigar.

Ten-speed cassettes pack 10 cogs into the same space as 9 and 8 speed cassettes. The gears themselves are a little thinner, and spacing between them is a little closer. But the overall travel end-to-end is the same.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by brucew View Post
    Close, but no cigar.

Ten-speed cassettes pack 10 cogs into the same space as 9 and 8 speed cassettes. The gears themselves are a little thinner, and spacing between them is a little closer. But the overall travel end-to-end is the same.
    Agreed. You're right. I was forgetting that the shifter controls the indexing and if he upgrades to 10-spd shifter then the gear spacing becomes closer. I should have remembered this from when I upgraded my old 8-spd Sora shifters to 9-spd a few years back. Rule of thumb, rear shifter and cassette need to match.