Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I wouldn't literally buy any of my bikes again because none of them are current models, but I'd buy 2 out of 3 again if I had to go back and time and re-do the choice.

My road bike is a Bikes Direct special (Motobecane) I bought over 10 years ago. I bought it because I was still in school and had a limited budget. It's worked out well enough that I haven't felt a strong need to replace it with something fancier even though I can afford it now. It does make me look like a Fred (I suppose I may be one), but it really does ride quite nicely and has withstood the test of time.

My mountain bike is a 2012 Trek Top Fuel. Overall, it's been a great bike but now dated being a 26-inch. As built, it is very, very light weight for a full suspension bike (~22 lbs I believe). Great bike, but I sometimes wish for bigger wheels on my local trails (which tend to have a lot of giant root sections where a big wheel would help a lot). Problem is, I get on some very expensive nice bikes but miss how light on its feet the Trek feels.

My commuter bike is a Shwinn "slicker" - I bought it because it was very cheap and I don't like locking an expensive bike up in public. If I could do it again, I would have bought a Bikes Direct single-speed like I did for my wife - same price and much less of a boat anchor in the weight department. It's done over 5,000 miles though which I suppose isn't bad for a $300 bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WRM4865 View Post
    Why wouldn't I?

Seriously I'm not trolling here, however until someone makes a better MTB, CX or Road bike than Specialized I'll keep the ones I have.

2018 S-Works Venge Vias Di2 Disc
    2018 S-Works Epic
    2017 S-Works Stumpjumper FSR 29"
    2015 Specialized Crux Expert

I am not gonna hate on other brands, I just feel that Specialized makes a better bike than the others out there. When someone steps up their game perhaps I'll look at other brands.

yeah, I can tell from the age of your bikes that you're not apt to just run out and buy something new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazzchip View Post
    Yep, just like with cars. However, hearing similar stories from a large number of people can give you a sense of the product. Consumer Reports does a "frequency of repair" chart on cars, but there is nothing comparable for bikes. Often, the experience of people who own the product is all you have to use as a guide.
    The problem with this question is that there are hundreds of bike manufacturers and millions of bike owners. In order to gather any meaningful data, you would have to be very specific with your question. Asking for comments on one, maybe two, manufacturer(s) and one or two models would be the best way to get to the useful endpoint you describe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    thank you. Great comments.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2016
    Yes I would buy all the bikes I bought again!
    Road bikes and Mountain bikes.

But I only buy bikes that I love 200%.

Neophyte
    Both of the road bikes I've bought I would buy again if it were when I bought them, but times change and either the bikes get outdated or the bike company changes their product line in a way that you might not like.

I have purchased Specialized Allez Expert and Pro bikes from the ~2006-2007 era and love them (even if a tad heavy). I have a 2015 Scott Addict 20 (Ultegra level, although I upgraded components to DA9000) that I absolutely love.

Scott has just changed their product line around a bit, I think in order to simplify but in my mind it actually makes things more confusing. I don't think they should have named both their race and endurance geometry Addict bikes, they should have kept Solace for endurance. In any event, I have no plans to buy another road bike for many years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    hell no i rode the dog sh!t out of that thing.

tjc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Parlee Z5SL, since this model is no longer being made, I was thinking about this question the other day, if something happened to this bike, what would I do? This bike is perfect for me, and I would replace it exactly as is if I could. Never mind it won't take anything bigger than a 23mm tire and is not disc brake. I was thinking about posting in the Parlee forum, what past owners are riding now.

By the way, I bought frame off ebay, so not the original owner - new is way too pricey for me anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yep, I would for sure at least 2 of the 3. The Trek Domane and the RLT9 I would buy again for sure. I bought the Crockett for a travel bike and trainer use, and there's quite a few cross bikes that would be adequate for those purposes, I picked it because it was priced right and it was available when I needed something. The Domane and the RLT9 leave me wanting nothing for the type of riding I do.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    I'll list some of the bikes I've had/have and if I would or not.

LOOK 555. Didn't fit me that well, so No, but was a good bike.
    LOOK 585. Yes! I can't imagine anything that much better except maybe a 595, if they still made either.
    LOOK 566. For the price I paid Yes, but it's not the best at everything, except comfort. Smooth as silk.
    TIME First. Unbelievably good value = Yes.
    Cannondale Synapse Alu disc. NO. I hate supermarket bikes and will never buy a POS Cannondale again.
    Trek Pilot. Used it for a winter/rain bike. Did ok, but No....and it's a supermarket brand.
    Giant Defy Advaced 2. Bought it to replace the Trek and Cannondale as a winter/rain bike. I don't know. I still haven't decided if I like it yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    i would by my colnago again in a heart beat. it's been perfect. the firefly not really. i don't use it enough. in hindsight i should not have bought my trek 5200. had i bought a c-50 i'd still be riding it and might have avoided the c-59, but that's a lot of what if on a purchase done over a decade and a half ago.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2017
    Thanks. I've been looking at the Giant myself. I'd be interested in your feelings about it.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by maximum7 View Post
    I'll list some of the bikes I've had/have and if I would or not.

LOOK 555. Didn't fit me that well, so No, but was a good bike.
    LOOK 585. Yes! I can't imagine anything that much better except maybe a 595, if they still made either.
    LOOK 566. For the price I paid Yes, but it's not the best at everything, except comfort. Smooth as silk.
    TIME First. Unbelievably good value = Yes.
    Cannondale Synapse Alu disc. NO. I hate supermarket bikes and will never buy a POS Cannondale again.
    Trek Pilot. Used it for a winter/rain bike. Did ok, but No....and it's a supermarket brand.
    Giant Defy Advaced 2. Bought it to replace the Trek and Cannondale as a winter/rain bike. I don't know. I still haven't decided if I like it yet.
    Curious to know what you mean by supermarket brand... I believe Giant makes more bikes per year than Trek and Cannondale combined, and is the biggest bicycle manufacturer in the world. Trek may have bigger USA market share, on the flip side if you buy a Trek there's a chance it was made in a Giant factory. Many others on this site that know the industry better than I do can probably speak to it more.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    Im blessed my first road bike was a 17 Trek Domane SLR. I wont say Id buy again because if I were to buy even now, Id go with latest and greatest.

I am about 90% positive about my ride. I feel like I made the right choice for me. And its opened a whole new riding world for me.

Love my mountain bikes; will be on my fatty in the wind and snow hitting me in NY on a set of 27.5 studded Gharnwals in about an hour. But the road bike has me hitting a 25 mile before work run at 5am. Impossible for me to do that on a mtb. Road bike opened new doors for me. I have gained a respect I never had prior.

Just not thrilled with how fit specific road bikes can be.

Old and in the way.
    Aug 2014
    Which companies make quality bikes? One way to tell may be if bike owners would buy that same bike again. Would you list your bike (make and model) and say yes (buy again) or no. The reason doesn't have to be given unless you want to tell us.
    My bike is a Trek Verve 2 and YES, I'd buy it again.
    Just bought a 2017 Roubaix Expert UDI last January, and yes, I'd do it again, without question. And this is even though I've had two issues with it; a front brake caliper that needed replacement and some broke spokes. But the ride is excellent, the UDI grouppo is flawless, and *it fits.*

But...I did some riding in Naples Florida last month, and if I was going to be down there riding on the flatlands I'd likely take a long look at an aero bike. No hills, few corners, and no need for discs or UDI.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes....I absolutely love my Tarmac Pro. Crash replaced the first one ('12) with another one ('14) in satin red / carbon. Can't say I've seen another one out on the road since I've had it. Now that I'm running eTAP on it, I don't feel like there's much left to do other that ride the crap out of it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I take the question as, knowing what I know now, would I buy the bike on that day x years ago? Absolutely yes. 2013 Trek Domane 5.2 triple. Great bike for me at the time, and it still would be if I were to time-travel back. I've changed a few things from stock (wheels, tires, derailler pulleys, saddle), and I still ride it with great pleasure.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Which companies make quality bikes? One way to tell may be if bike owners would buy that same bike again. Would you list your bike (make and model) and say yes (buy again) or no. The reason doesn't have to be given unless you want to tell us.
    My bike is a Trek Verve 2 and YES, I'd buy it again.
    DeRosa "Professional," '84, and a custom Columbus SLX frame from a local builder, '86. I'm totally adjusted to these bikes and would look for something as close as possible in geometry and fit.

It would be fun to tap into current technology, but I'd keep it simple, because once I decide a bike or car works for me, the love turns into a relationship, the vehicle becomes a trusted partner, and I hold onto it forever. So I'd go with components that I can still replace in 10 years. I'd replace the DeRosa with a Primato maybe, or that classic steel frame Cinelli has been making since the '70s. I'd replace the custom bike, set up with fenders for touring, with one of these newfangled "gravel" bikes. They'd be perfect.

Is it the future yet?
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    Curious to know what you mean by supermarket brand... I believe Giant makes more bikes per year than Trek and Cannondale combined, and is the biggest bicycle manufacturer in the world. Trek may have bigger USA market share, on the flip side if you buy a Trek there's a chance it was made in a Giant factory. Many others on this site that know the industry better than I do can probably speak to it more.
    For me supermarket brands are trek, spesh, cannon, giant. The only reason I've bought any of them is because I use them in the winter/rain as I noted. I don't care as much about my winter/wet bike if they get trashed or whatever, so I don't spend a lot of money on them. Also they have fender mounts which is a must for me and the cannondale and giant have discs. Although the cannondale didn't feel like it had any brakes at all.

So yes, I know giant is a supermarket brand, but its not a primary ride.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Multiple bikes over the years. Only two still in the stable are my bespoke Ti Seven Axiom Race roadie and my Ti Carver gravel rig. Both built from frame.

I'd probably not buy the Seven again. Great build and ride. I just don't get that much fun out of riding on roads any more. Too stressful, too many homicidal careless drivers, too many close calls--and life is too short. Also I know all the paved roads around here by experience, whereas the gravel/dirt/MMR trails/roads I don't at all.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    My bike is a Trek Domane and YES, I'd buy it again.

Speaking to my personal taste and preferences I wouldn't even consider buying anything other than a Trek Domane. I like Trek for the quality, availability, and their excellent warranty. My current Domane has over 12,000 miles on it and it rides and performs as good as ever.

As a senior rider the Domane line is much better for me than a Madone or Emonda due to its frame geometry, ISO speed decoupler, and fit options. A bonus is that despite getting more comfort from the Domane you lose little if any performance. It's still a bike that you can push hard or race either on the flats or in climbs if you have the power.
    Last edited by GlobalGuy; 2 Weeks Ago at 09:58 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I bought a November wheelhouse frame almost 6 years ago for about $800 delivered. Put a DA 7900 group on it and rode it for for 25000 miles until summer of 15. Then put a DA 9000 group on it and have added almost another 10000. Best cycling purchase I ever made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have three bikes, all Fujis.

The Sportif was my first drop-bar bike, and its now my grocery getter. Low spec, but low cost, and fine for getting groceries.

The Altamira is my road bike. A fine Ultegra-level ride, and Im happy with it.

The Cross is my gravel/winter bike. Fun and plush, with 40c Nanos rubbing the paint off the inside of the chainstays (if only I had a bit more room....)

All in all, modest but solid bikes, EXCEPT FOR THE EFFING FREEHUBS!! ALL THREE GAAAAARBAGE! AAAAAAARGH!!

Pardon the eruption. Anyway, yes, Id buy my bikes again. But Id budget for new wheelsets right off the bat.
    ​Huzzah! I've figured out how to put something in the little box under my posts.

banned
    Jan 2015
    Yes, but no. I bought my Trek Madone 2.1 at the end of 2014 as the 2015 models were coming out. Love my bike, serves me well, sure its going to be upgraded to a nice carbon bike before long, but............

i would have gladly waited 2 weeks and paid an extra $200 to get it in 2x11 vs the 2x10 I currently have.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Too many bikes I'd like to try to ever buy the same one twice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12