Bikes, Guns & Metal...

Yakima frontloader

I would like your opinion on the Yakima Frontloader, a guy is selling one brand new for $120.

I have a 1999 Chevy Blazer with factory roof rack.

I have a hitch rack for 4 bikes but I don't like it that much, is heavy and bulky and a lot of times I only take one bike.

Any opinion is appreciated, thanks!

Yakima Shop Bike Top FrontLoader

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have one on my Outback. I like it, it is easy to load, I just wish it "appeared" to hold the bike more securely. Not that it doesn't, it just doesn't appear to, so I use an extra strap on the front wheel to strap it to the tray. I have done long drives at highway speeds and have had no issues.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Be weary of which version it is. Check the Yak site for the recall notice. If the 29 and 700 positions are the same, stay away.
    I had an incident a year ago, which I think help promt the recall. After they requested all sorts of details about it, I was surprised at the lack of follow up from them afterwards. Never heard a word form them until somebody pointed me to the recall, which wasn;t the smoothest either.

I can tell you the new one is a vast improvement. The old old you could roll the wheel out. The new one you can't.

Three changes are:

1 - they lengthed the rear U bar. This was the real reason they had problems; there wasn't enough of a wedge.

2 - added another wheel position

3 - added a sold peice of plastic to the base tip. I noticed that this has helped to cut down on wind noise. The prior hollow piece acted like a whistle. This one is much more quiet
    Last edited by The Weasel; 10-06-2011 at 09:48 AM.
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I bought the king cobra which got replaced by the front loader I think. It has a slot for 29" and 700c wheels. I'ts easy to put up the bikes and take them down, granted I drive a passat so i'ts lower than your blazer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weasel View Post
    Be weary of which version it is. Check the Yak site for the recall notice. If the 29 and 700 positions are the same, stay away.
    Mine is a highroller and the 26" and 700c are in the same notch, and 29er has it's own higher notch.
    It holds really well just make sure the tires are not going to flat while you drive, which seems to be the only potential for problems.

It also sway side by side a bit when you drive but that is just how it is, I wondered if it would cause alot of torque and make the wheel out of true, but doesn't seem to be.

I really like being able to just grab the bike and go.
    I like it for mountain bikes too because muddy tires doesn't need to go inside the car and you avoid any disc brake alignment issues.

However it's rarely I see one of these on cars, most road bikes on roof are fork mounted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorCyclist View Post
    Mine is a highroller and the 26" and 700c are in the same notch, and 29er has it's own higher notch.
    Mine has a notch for 20", 26" 700c and 29". I thought the highroller was suppose to be their highest carrier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I own (have owned) all three mentioned here. The Highroller has the nicest finish. But it shares with the King Cobra one major problem. You can lock the bike to the rack, but then the rack does not lock to the cross bar. The Frontloader solves this problem. Not that it'll make a huge difference to a pro thief, but it helps.
    Both the turn knobs of the Highroller and Frontloader are huge improvements over the King Cobra.
    I believe the children are the future. Teach them well and let them lead the way.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I own (have owned) all three mentioned here. The Highroller has the nicest finish. But it shares with the King Cobra one major problem. You can lock the bike to the rack, but then the rack does not lock to the cross bar. The Frontloader solves this problem. Not that it'll make a huge difference to a pro thief, but it helps.
    Both the turn knobs of the Highroller and Frontloader are huge improvements over the King Cobra.
    I read about this issue and have come up with a way to lock the rack to the bars when the bike is not on there. First off, using the sks lock housing, you can lock the rear portion of the rack to the bars. Then, using the cable lock that's on the rack, weave it thru the front tire holder/fork, under the rear bar and lock it. This ensures that the fork doesn't jump around while driving and it secures the carrier to the bars. I'll post a picture of it tonight to show you.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    I had an incident a year ago, which I think help promt the recall. After they requested all sorts of details about it, I was surprised at the lack of follow up from them afterwards. Never heard a word form them until somebody pointed me to the recall, which wasn;t the smoothest either.

I can tell you the new one is a vast improvement. The old old you could roll the wheel out. The new one you can't.

Three changes are:

1 - they lengthed the rear U bar. This was the real reason they had problems; there wasn't enough of a wedge.

2 - added another wheel position

3 - added a sold peice of plastic to the base tip. I noticed that this has helped to cut down on wind noise. The prior hollow piece acted like a whistle. This one is much more quiet
    I checked the site and asked the seller and he sent me a pic and said this one is after the recall.

MSRP is $170 plus shipping so I think $120 is a good deal.

Bikes, Guns & Metal...
    Thank you all for your responses, I am going to buy it tomorrow.