RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Yearend review of the Surly Long Haul Trucker

I've pulled together the bulk of my postings about my Surly Long Haul Trucker into one big year-end review.

If you want to see how to add a second stem to get your handlebar bag down lower, how to build a wheel around a SON generator, how to install a Busch & Muller Lumotec IQ Cyo R N Plus headlight, or watch a 4-year-old demonstrate a Click-Stand, this is the place.

The only problem is that if I'd spent as much time riding as writing, I'd have a lot more miles on the bike.

Hope there's something here that'll help another Surly rider.

Avid indoorsman
    Thank you! I will be going to my LBS to pick up my new LHT tomorrow. Will bookmark this one...
    Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
    -- Groucho Marx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurious Oranj
    Thank you! I will be going to my LBS to pick up my new LHT tomorrow. Will bookmark this one...
    You'll love it. What color?

Check out some of the other reviews that weren't quite as Surly-specific. You may find something of interest there, too.

Avid indoorsman
    It's olive. One nice looking bike. I will certainly check out your links. Now I just wish this snow would go away...
    -- Groucho Marx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurious Oranj
    It's olive. One nice looking bike. I will certainly check out your links. Now I just wish this snow would go away...
    I'm partial to the olive green myself. I'd have taken any color, but I was particularly pleased when the green was available.

You have my sympathy about the snow. I hesitate to tell you that West Palm Beach, FL, where I am, broke a heat record set in 1948 this week. It hit 90.

I'd be happy if some of your cold air would slip down here. Unfortunately, the cooler riding weather also comes with wind.

Avid indoorsman
    Well, it's 7 degrees now so I envy you. My other worry is how to get the LHT into the basement without the missus spotting me...
    -- Groucho Marx

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Hey ksteinhoff,

Here's a couple of tips that'll help you deal with those rusty bolts.

Materials needed: a bunch of Qtips - Naval Jelly - Dremel or cordless drill - nail polish - a couple of rags.

How to: 1. With a rag &/or Qtips wipe all the dirt off the bolt heads

2. Apply Naval Jelly according to directions on the bottle using Qtips. I use generous amounts. You'll probably have to let it sit for awhile.

3. Take a Qtip, break off one end and insert into the check of the Dremel or Drill. Stick it the recess on the offending bolt and have at it. You may have to repeat steps 2 & 3 if things are pretty bad.

4. After thoroughly removing all the Naval Jelly and have made sure all the bolt heads are completely dry, apply a coat of clear, matte (if you can find it) nail polish. Let it dry then apply a second coat. You can put additional coats if you'd like.

The nail polish will keep the rust away for about a year. To keep things from getting out of hand I do all mine, cranks, brakes, stem, etc. twice per year.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Versatile
    Hey ksteinhoff,

Here's a couple of tips that'll help you deal with those rusty bolts.
    Good advice. I may take an even easier way out and just go with stainless steel bolts to make the problem go away.