Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Your garage set up?

10K views 43 replies 31 participants last post by  Lombard 
#1 ·
Got a new garage and I'll need to get it set up for bike storage next month. Can ya'll post some pics of what works for you, why, and how you did it? I'll be hanging/storing 5 road bikes, 1 MTB, a Kid's bike and eventually 2 beach cruisers. Just curious on what ideas other people have used.

#3 ·
I use a bookshelf to hide the entrence to my secret cave. You simply pull a book out (I won't say which but it's probably the one with the grease stains), and the entire shelf will rotate you into a secret chamber. Then you slide down the pole and get off on the third floor (be careful not to get off on the ghostbusters floor, the batman floor, or the muppet-babies closet floor).

But seriously, great thread idea. I have nothing constructive to add at this time.

#6 · (Edited)
I have mine on these hooks I have found at Walmart they are about $5 a piece, work well for me. I always have my bikes up on the hooks unless they are being ridden, keeps them out of eyesight of passerby types and harder to steal if they do look in my garage, also out of the way of getting bumped or scratched while in the garage.

Here is a link, don't know what is up with the price in the link but at our local Walmart is was $5 and change each.

Racor ProStor Bike Hanger: Bikes & Riding Toys : Walmart.com

#8 · (Edited)
I have 12' ceilings. I was tired of the Racor lift things with the cords hanging down.

I built a storage rack based on this video:
Garage Trailer Lift Storage - YouTube

I bought a hoist from Northern Tool. I bought an upright from a pallet rack (think the shelves in Home Depot), and I bought some pulleys from Grainger and had some cables made by one of the rigging companies I found on the internet.

It works the same as the one in the video. I push the button, and the family's bikes go up and down. I raise it to the top and I can park my car under it. No ropes to mess with. It's quite handy.

But building something like this is not for everyone. If you are a handy engineering type it wouldn't be bad.

#16 · (Edited)
V Nice. V Nice! I like that rail system, saw it the other day. Have been doing the hooks into a 2x10 for years, but thinking of switching for flexibility too esp as the kids grow.
BTW ... I have to complement you on your taste in bikes .

Attachments

#18 ·
I had an AAR 'cuda, same year. Still kicking myself for selling it even though it wasn't original -- the guy I bought it from had pulled the 340 and dropped a 440 in its place. I made enough money pumping gas, cutting grass, and helping a waterbed distributor to be able to afford it when I was in my senior year of high school (1972/73). Very good memories.

#19 ·
I store my bikes in the basement but it's essentially the same thing. I store 9 bikes on a 10 bike PVC bike rack I built, it cost less than $100 and it was easy to put together. Also buy a pvc pipe cutter, it cuts straighter than using a saw and there's no burrs to file off.

this is the plan I used called the DIY Bike Stand, it's the easiest to build and the easiest to add another space later in my opinion of course, I tried a different one shaped like a triangle and it was a pain, this one was a breeze.

bike junkie: DIY Bike Stand

I first made a test rack using 3/4 pipe and found it a bit too flimsy for my taste and knowing I was going to make it hold more than one bike I knew I was going to have to make it stronger, so I made some changes for the above rack to give it more strength. I used 1" pipe instead of 3/4. The interesting thing about using the 1" is of course you have to use 1" elbows and T's which makes the stand up (the part the wheel will go into and actually hold the bike) a bit wider which makes a road bike fit a bit sloppy, which I figured it would, so I added foam bike insulation to the uprights which makes the wheel fit snug and the pipe won't scratch the rims or spokes now, mountain bike wheels go right in without the foam. If you go larger diameter pipe like I did you will have to cut the small insert section that goes between the T's to 1 1/2 inch instead of 1 1/4. Also since my rack is all one rack not 10 separate racks, I used T's instead of elbows that contact the floor to hold the rack up off the floor a tad, I only used the 2 elbows on the each end of the rack (4 total).

If you decide to build a PVC pipe of any design given on this thread make sure you assemble it first without glue so you can correct any mistakes you may have made, than resemble and check again, once your satisfied with the rack then take it apart and glue it back together. If you plan on adding rack spaces later you can leave the ends unglued then all you have to do is pull the end elbows off, add in a new space. I used Monkey Glue to assemble the pipe because I had some of that laying around, but Monkey Glue gives you time to move pieces of pipe to make sure it's in the right position for proper alignment, pipe glue sets fast and may not give you enough time.

#20 ·
... I store 9 bikes on a 10 bike PVC bike rack I built, it cost less than $100 and it was easy to put together......
THX for the link, plans, and directions. I am thinking of making one of those in a three bicycle configuration that would fit in the bed of my pick-up truck. I don't drive to the bicycle paths very often. But it would make taking the wife with me for a Sunday ride much easier.

#22 ·
Over the years, I think I've tried every method of storing/hanging bikes in the garage. I landed on the tried and true hang-by-front wheel method. Key in this - as looigi pointed out - use the large black hooks (every Home Depot, Lowes, etc. has'em).

I used a board anchored to the studs so I could space the hooks based on bar width - not stud location.

#24 ·
Hi Mark, yes this system works great! I can’t recommend it enough! This photo was actually my old house. I tried to post a new photo of the second time I set it up, but can’t from the Mobil app for some reason. But I did the same rail system, very similar set up when we moved. Kobalt is the name of the rail system.

Kobalt 11-Piece Gray and Black Plastic Storage Rail System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DNNJR7S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_M9unBbXBXRQBB

I’ve used this system throughout the garage for hanging everything else as well, rakes, shovels, wheel sets, etc.

If you have any specific questions about how I set up the bike rack, feel free to DM me. Cheers!

#28 · (Edited)
I recently moved as well and have been experimenting with the best way to maximize space and convenience. At the moment, I’ve got this:

I have the vertical hook setup also, but getting the bike in and out is sometimes awkward.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I know my garage ceiling is not like most, but I think this solution would work in most. I needed a way to get them up and not have wheels hanging low enough to walk into. Maybe $8 of hooks from HomeDepot per bike + a step ladder to take one down in max 10 seconds. They even fit above the garage door when it's opened.

Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#30 ·
3 bikes on the wall behind the cars, and room for a 4th. Plus a couple wheel racks.

Bed Room Bedding Linens Bedroom

#34 ·
The bottom car has a profile of 65 Mustang Coupe, no?
nope, right century but wrong car - look closely at the hood and the rear end.

#36 ·
A combination of these:
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/delta-cycle-pablo-two-bike-rack-with-shelf~p~9288t/

And these:
https://www.amazon.com/Willworx-Superstand-CKD-1-bicycle-stand/dp/B006Z0QB1Q

allow me to store 5 bikes in a limited amount of space in the garage (the fifth bike is hung from ceiling with old fashioned screw hooks).

The Delta wall rack should never cost more than $15 when you buy it at Sierra Trading Post and use a coupon... lot's of places sell the same piece of hardware for a ridiculous ripoff price of $40 (REI comes to mind... don't get me wrong I love that place and purchase plenty there but in this case Sierra Trading Post price wins).

My setup is not the best with regard to getting easily to every bike, obviously the most used 2 bikes are on the outside. But it does well in terms of using up volume.

#38 ·
If using wheel hooks I have found it best to alternate which wheel the bike is hung from. Doing that allows the bikes to be hung nearer each other without staggering the height they are hung, since the bars aren't forcing the bikes further apart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.