Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    I wear a mirror on my glasses while mountain biking....my wife and friends won't admit they know me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    8-speed was Peak Gears.

Every added gear beyond 8 was just a marketing gimmick to make people buy new stuff.

"9" was the first point of diminishing returns... it added nothing substantial to 8 speeds, but I guess was a necessary step between 8 speeds (the pinnacle) and dumbly unnecessary "upgrades" yet to be foisted upon us.

By the time 11 speed rolled around, ridiculous "innovations" like delicate, overpriced chains that require stupidly expensive chain tools became the norm.
    Ha ha, I think Mr_Grumpy saying you don't need an 11 or 12 to go fast was referring to the cogs on the rear cassette, not the total drivetrain gears.

And I actually thought 9-speed was the "sweet spot" and 10-speed and beyond is somewhat diminishing returns. 9-speed chain is thinner and lighter, and it was one of the few times where you could practically interchange wheels with Campy and Shimano 9-speed hubs. Plus, 9-speed was around longer and you could more easily find parts, whereas 8-speed was a bit of a bastard child where it could be difficult to find parts.

My other unpopular (biking) opinions:
    - Toe clips and straps truly suck. Man was I pleased when clipless pedals came along, especially for mountain biking!
    - Downtube shifters suck too. I rode bikes with them for years, and man does it work so much better with integrated shift levers. Do. Not. Want. To. Go. Back!
    - I actually like "Richie" pedals.
    Last edited by GearDaddy; 6 Days Ago at 11:58 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by GearDaddy View Post
    Ha ha, I think Mr_Grumpy saying you don't need an 11 or 12 to go fast was referring to the cogs on the rear cassette, not the total drivetrain gears.

And I actually thought 9-speed was the "sweet spot" and 10-speed and beyond is somewhat diminishing returns. 9-speed chain is thinner and lighter, and it was one of the few times where you could practically interchange wheels with Campy and Shimano 9-speed hubs. Plus, 9-speed was around longer and you could more easily find parts, whereas 8-speed was a bit of a bastard child where it could be difficult to find parts.

My other unpopular (biking) opinions:
    - Toe clips and straps truly suck. Man was I pleased when clipless pedals came along, especially for mountain biking!
    - Downtube shifters suck too. I rode bikes with them for years, and man does it work so much better with integrated shift levers. Do. Not. Want. To. Go. Back!
    - I actually like "Richie" pedals.
    10 speed chain is thinner than 9 speed. The gears are closer together. In fact, when it was first introduced, there were a slew of pros breaking chains in big races. Had some reworking to do.

11 speed wheels are interchangeable between Campy and Shimano. You can run a Campy cassette with Shimano and vice versa.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pedalbiker View Post
    10 speed chain is thinner than 9 speed. The gears are closer together. In fact, when it was first introduced, there were a slew of pros breaking chains in big races. Had some reworking to do.

11 speed wheels are interchangeable between Campy and Shimano. You can run a Campy cassette with Shimano and vice versa.
    I already knew all of this. I'm just saying that 9-speed IMO was a real improvement from 7/8 speed, and it generally worked well. 10/11 speed seems like more marginal gains, and some things became harder to deal with (i.e. chains).

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I use sram 9 chains with my chorus 8 rd, record 8 cassette, and record 9 fd and chainrings.

Silent, smooth, speedy shifting. Like butter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I use sram 9 chains with my chorus 8 rd, record 8 cassette, and record 9 fd and chainrings.

Silent, smooth, speedy shifting. Like butter.
    Dig it. Wider chains give that crisp shifting. Not loosey goosey like these narrow 10 speeds.

Yep, by the time they got to 9 speeds, everything was covered in the fast gears, 12-17. The only thing gained with 10, 11 speeds, were climbing gears, useful under 10 mph, that once a rider gets fit on his 16 pound bike, 2/3rds of which he'll never use. Two or three tooth jumps are no big deal under 10 mph.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    "flat"? like these?

Best pedals ever made. And only $22.00 to replace. That's cheaper than a tire!

Add a clip, strap, cleated shoe, and you've got the ultimate contact with pedals. Anyone see the latest issue of Bicycling? Keirin racers still use clips and straps on those pedals, on steel frames and 32 spoked wheels. For them, nothing is more responsive to their game.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bleckb View Post
    What? No friction shifters? You've succumbed to the indexed shifting fad?
    Thanks for catching me on that! .

Friction of course! Full control at all times.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredrico View Post
    Dig it. Wider chains give that crisp shifting. Not loosey goosey like these narrow 10 speeds.

Yep, by the time they got to 9 speeds, everything was covered in the fast gears, 12-17. The only thing gained with 10, 11 speeds, were climbing gears, useful under 10 mph, that once a rider gets fit on his 16 pound bike, 2/3rds of which he'll never use. Two or three tooth jumps are no big deal under 10 mph.
    I can count all the times I thought "Gee, I wish I had one or two more cogs on my 8-speed 12-23" on zero (0) hands.

I've never wanted for another cog. Most of my riding, except for extreme climbs and descents, I maintain a steady RPM around 85, and change gears only to keep that RPM. I use gears the way a propeller airplane with a constant speed prop uses propeller pitch, to maintain "best" power output and speed across a range of terrain.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456