Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Forever a Student
    You sure are sounding more and more like a shill for them.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    You sure are sounding more and more like a shill for them.

If you are implying that I work for them, or have some kind of vested interest, you are dead wrong. I'm just a paying user like everyone else.

You sound like someone who feels threatened by this though. Is this somehow going to negatively affect you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    Thankfully there's absolutely no way to cheat in real world races!

flinty-eyed moderator
    Been in Zwift since the Beta, and the racing is broke and probably will remain so as Zwift is more concerned with user numbers than booting cheaters. Look at how they have hidden the flag feature, and doesn't do much. The various 3rd party tools are cludges and does little to control fliers during the race, and Zwift does not allow you to exclude or filter Zpower users from your race. You can "remove" some of them later from results few of the racers bother looking at, but at that point the cheaters have got their "glory". Some people REALLY like being fake fast online.

So no, the Zwift racing is not legit- way too much weight doping, way too many magically set up "smart" trainers and too many "its just a game" people who feel everyone else is cheating so they have to as well- its basically the 2002 TdF.

That said, if it makes you ride harder keep doing it. Just don't think its even remotely the same as pinning a number on.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    I've done about 15 rides on Zwift with my Kickr Snap over the past few months; did my first race a few days ago. Other than watching bikes and riders disappear into the distance LOL the comparison to real racing just isn't there. I will never bury myself on the trainer like I did back in the day chasing down another rider or the disappearing peloton. I've never noticed much draft effect on Zwift, except in a massive group, so there wasn't much benefit to sitting on a wheel.

I didn't particularly enjoy it, it seeemd like everyone was riding at or above their FTP level, so more like a cyclocross race than a road race. About time I started to lose interest, some glitch made all the other riders disappear and I was riding alone on the course, so I considered that a win.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    The draft effect in Zwift is 25% if you within 1 meter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    No, not serious. The logic of this thread by some is that because there is cheating in Zwift, it's not to be taken seriously. That's pretty laughable in a sport plagued by cheating.

I have never used Zwift but I have ridden many miles indoors on rollers. Anything that can make that time go by quicker & more enjoyably is a good thing. If some choose to cheat, why would I care? There's cheating on Strava too.... same goes for the TDF.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    I've done about 15 rides on Zwift with my Kickr Snap over the past few months; did my first race a few days ago. Other than watching bikes and riders disappear into the distance LOL the comparison to real racing just isn't there. I will never bury myself on the trainer like I did back in the day chasing down another rider or the disappearing peloton. I've never noticed much draft effect on Zwift, except in a massive group, so there wasn't much benefit to sitting on a wheel.

I didn't particularly enjoy it, it seeemd like everyone was riding at or above their FTP level, so more like a cyclocross race than a road race. About time I started to lose interest, some glitch made all the other riders disappear and I was riding alone on the course, so I considered that a win.
    I notice a draft benefit when behind just one rider however its usually when above 35Kph. Curious as to where you have your trainer difficulty set if people are pulling away from you. I have my "New" Kickr set at far right (I believe that is 100%) and at the base of hills which are 5% or more, I typically pull away slightly from people I have been riding with. I'm thinking its the increased resistance of the steeper grade which allows me to maintain speed by putting down more power at same RPM.

Conversely, I hate coming off a downhill at a certain speed, in a fairly tall gear, keeping the same cadence but continually lose speed on the flat. It forces me to upshift more than "in real life", in order to maintain comparable speeds.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    With cheat codes, anyone can win a race.

Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014

Have you ever tried a Zwift race? I'm just curious.

......The first time I rode in one I rode about 30 watts above my FTP for over an hour. I have never pushed myself that hard on a bike outside, even on a really long hard climb......
    ????? Think maybe your FTP number might have been wrong ???
    Test it often? Or just a (bad) guess?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    If you are implying that I work for them, or have some kind of vested interest, you are dead wrong. I'm just a paying user like everyone else.

You sound like someone who feels threatened by this though. Is this somehow going to negatively affect you?
    no one is disagreeing with it's usefulness... hell my area is being slammed by rain so it's working for me. The argument is saying the "racing is real".. frankly it's not. Maybe it's "serious?" seriously flawed maybe... hell I fun doing it too, get a podium from time to time = so what.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    I'd say it's just supposed to be good motivation/entertainment to hit it hard on the trainer so no one should be taking it seriously. That's the real purpose of Zwift.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    no one is disagreeing with it's usefulness... hell my area is being slammed by rain so it's working for me. The argument is saying the "racing is real".. frankly it's not. Maybe it's "serious?" seriously flawed maybe... hell I fun doing it too, get a podium from time to time = so what.
    I don't believe me, or anyone else said anything about it being real... maybe read my posts again? I state several times why I started this thread. It has nothing to do with virtual racing being 'real'.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by floralagator View Post
    ????? Think maybe your FTP number might have been wrong ???
    Test it often? Or just a (bad) guess?
    Obviously, although after discussing it with a professional coach, he told me that it's fairly common for people to ride above their training threshold in a competitive situation, and not be able to replicate that level of effort in a standard FTP test.

I was just trying to point out that, at least for me, the competition of virtual racing is a fun way to get some winter training in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveWC View Post
    No, not serious. The logic of this thread by some is that because there is cheating in Zwift, it's not to be taken seriously. That's pretty laughable in a sport plagued by cheating.

I have never used Zwift but I have ridden many miles indoors on rollers. Anything that can make that time go by quicker & more enjoyably is a good thing. If some choose to cheat, why would I care? There's cheating on Strava too.... same goes for the TDF.
    Yea, sorry, after re-reading it with my sarcasm detector turned on, I realized what you were saying. I was actually about to post the same thing. ;)

Forever a Student
    Obviously, although after discussing it with a professional coach, he told me that it's fairly common for people to ride above their training threshold in a competitive situation, and not be able to replicate that level of effort in a standard FTP test.

I was just trying to point out that, at least for me, the competition of virtual racing is a fun way to get some winter training in.

Last Zwift race I did gave me a new FTP number on there. My 20 minute power was the best recorded, I wasn't even aware it was doing that. The 20 minute power went up 11 watts for me. I won my category in that race. It hurt a lot and it's the overall most power I've put out on Zwift yet.

I think that situation is fairly common when people go all out in a Zwift race or group ride.

But like all Zwift stuff, I keep it private on Strava to be polite and could care less about being excluded from the third party leaderboards.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Keep in mind that the racing and ranking systems are not done by the game developers. This is all work that is done by third parties. The only real development Zwift has done in this regard is to create the "Event Module" system (staged start, rider tracking, leader flagging, etc..), and some back end work to allow third parties to access ride data to track the races.

Nathan Guerra does live commentary of some if the bigger races.

That is the saddest thing I have ever seen.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    It can't be any worse than people watching E-League, and that whole movement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
    The "commentary" is a head scratcher. I really don't get the whole watching feature on Zwift either. I've never had the desire to watch a fake person (other than me) ride on a virtual course.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2013
    Watch feature is useful for testing it on different machines (performance analysis) without needing sensors etc. I've used it quite a bit just for that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by zephxiii View Post
    Watch feature is useful for testing it on different machines (performance analysis) without needing sensors etc. I've used it quite a bit just for that.

OK, I'll buy that but I'm not sure that was the reason they added that feature. I'm getting a bit creeped out thinking folks are watching me

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2015
    Some of you dudes gotta let this go..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Zwift racing is evolving. The first live race was held in Virginia this weekend. Eric Minn, Zwift ceo I believe, has stated that private events in the event module are in the pipeline. This means that race organizers can host races that only allow verified riders and certain trainers to compete online.

Yes, it is a work in progress. The future of online racing will reach well beyond what many imagine. Dedicated Zwift spin bikes(not just rear trainers) are in the works as well.

I race Mtb, road, and Zwift. They each are their own discipline.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2014
    Racing in a video game is not a discipline, nor is it racing.

It's a video game.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Leah Thorvilson just received a pro contract from Canyon-Sram. The team used Zwift Acadamy to find new pro talent. Strange sort of "video game".

Scottie Weiss, 2 X world champion, won the first live race event in Virginia. Jeremiah Bishop was competing there as well. I guess there are many pro riders you need to inform that they are only involved with a video game, and that it is not racing.
    Last edited by MerlinMan; 03-12-2017 at 02:18 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast