RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008

2010 Giant TCX 1 Front End Stiction

I have a 2010 TCX that I love, with the exception of one thing: steering (and that's a pretty big thing).

Formerly, I rode a Scott CX Comp. After being hit on it, I had a Giant Defy Alliance on loan until my TCX came in. It exhibited the same problem, which is this: sometimes the front end "sticks." I get a good 30 movement and all of the sudden, the front end gets very...tight. It then takes more effort than it should to move it back to center. This provides me with a real problem when getting out of the saddle with purpose, or riding no-handed (the first time I road no handed on the Alliance, I damned near went down because of this) the bike behaves very unnaturally..

Is his a problem with the headsets or the way the shop from which I got both bikes sets them up? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by s3pt1k; 02-26-2010 at 03:12 PM.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by s3pt1k
    I have a 2010 TCX that I love, with the exception of one thing: steering (and that's a pretty big thing).

Formerly, I rode a Scott CX Comp. After being hit on it, I had a Giant Defy Alliance on loan until my TCX came in. It exhibited the same problem, which is this: sometimes the front end "sticks." I get a good 30 movement and all of the sudden, the front end gets very...tight. It then takes more effort than it should to move it back to center. This provides me with a real problem when getting out of the saddle with purpose, or riding no-handed (the first time I road no handed on the Alliance, I damned near went down because of this) the bike behaves very unnaturally..

Is his a problem with the headsets or the way the shop from which I got both bikes sets them up? Anyone else experienced this?

Thanks in advance.
    I suggest you bring the bike back to your LBS, tell them the symptoms and have them check the fork crown race. It could be a couple of things, but the easiest to check initially is that the race is fully seated on the fork crown. If not, they can exhibit the symptoms you describe.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    I suggest you bring the bike back to your LBS, tell them the symptoms and have them check the fork crown race. It could be a couple of things, but the easiest to check initially is that the race is fully seated on the fork crown. If not, they can exhibit the symptoms you describe.
    I agree carry it to the shop. But for what it is worth on my 09 Defy Advanced 2 has no race on the frork crown, the lower bearing sets directly on the crown/steerer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    I noticed that. I called the shop and he said it may be a bearing issue. I don't like this integrated ****. I think I may upgrade frames to something that has an actual headset. I've had a Chris King on my 29er for over two years and it's never given me an ounce of trouble (and it's taken a beating).

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by s3pt1k
    I noticed that. I called the shop and he said it may be a bearing issue. I don't like this integrated ****. I think I may upgrade frames to something that has an actual headset. I've had a Chris King on my 29er for over two years and it's never given me an ounce of trouble (and it's taken a beating).
    To a point I share your views, but I have noticed that the brands that have built in races seem to be prone to this type of problem more than some others. I wasn't aware that some Giants employed this design until ttcmxman post the same. Trek Madones use similar, and I test rode a bike with the same symptoms.