Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

2015 Defy - rumors anyone?

126K views 360 replies 50 participants last post by  machoman 
#1 ·
I'm seriously considering a Giant Defy Advanced SL1 but I'm just beginning to hear the faintest of rumors re the 2015 lineup.

Has anyone heard anything re Giant's plans for the 2015 Defy?

#3 ·
Giant rep.
2015 will get a full redesign.

1. Disc brakes for all models
2. They are stealing the seatpost design straight from their XTC advanced bikes.
Giant-2013-XTC-seat-clamp | Spoke Magazine

This will give it a little more compliance to compete against the domane.
Test rode a 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 and a Giant Defy Advanced this afternoon. The Domane was awesome inspiring over a very rough road; so much so that I could briefly imagine what Paris Roubaix must be like. Yes, everyone can dream...

The Defy, on the other hand, was what I would clearly rate as the second most compliant endurance bike that I've ridden (2nd only to Domane and I've ridden just about all of them over the last year), however the Defy felt much quicker and more responsive. Climbing was an absolute joy (as much as it ever can).

The Domane was smooth and enjoyable but the Defy made me want to ride it.

Now I'm stoked to learn more about the 2015 line up. I've waited this long so another few weeks probably won't kill me.

Has anyone heard anything re Trek's 2015 plans for the Domane?

#6 ·
I wonder:

1. Will the TCR and Defy get Disc brakes?
- perhaps, but i suspect only the Defy will (test waters),
whilst both Defy & TCR get internal cabling.

2. Will Giant 'have to' use non-standard disc brake wheels/hubs
(as i believe the roubaix does) due to apparent chain line problems with 135mm rear hubs

#7 ·
My crystal ball says.

1. TCR will get 'aero brakes'. Defy will get disc brakes.

2. thru axle on the front fork of the Defy.

Correct, the Defy is a much more powerful climber than the Domane. Giant make the stiffest climbing bikes on the planet in 2012 onwards for sure.

#10 ·
Looks like all disc for the carbon and all rim for the aluminum. Giant is making some radical moves recently. They also jumped very heavily into the 27.5 wheel size on the mountain side. They've become a very aggressive brand.

2015 Giant Defy and Liv Avail endurance road bikes announced - BikeRadar

All carbon models will be disc-equipped for 2015; aluminum bikes will all be rim brake-only. Impressively, Giant looks to have done this without adding any weight – and in fact, says certain complete bikes even end up about 50g lighter than their comparable rim brake-equipped versions. We measured a top-end Defy Advanced SL 0 model at just 7.3kg (16.1lb)

#11 ·
Looking at the story a day later the most interesting thing isn't the disc brakes but the different levels of carbon fiber bikes. In the past Giant offered Advanced SL, Advanced and Composite. Now it's Advanced SL, Pro and Advanced.

Is this new Advanced the same as the old Advanced or is it just a re-branded name for Composite? Is Pro something new or is it just a re-branded name for Advanced? Is there any way to find out?

#17 ·
#15 ·
I'm getting one. Probably the mechanical Ultegra version. I can't see paying another $1000 for Di2 especially since mechanical 6800 is so good.

#28 ·
I guess I don't really know...$500 seems like a no brainer, $1000 is a stretch..I haven't ridden the latest version. Should probably try it.

#30 ·
I'm sure Giant dealers with 2014 bikes on the floor aren't too happy about this..but Giant has to compete and everyone else is showing 2015 bikes now. I'm going to check some southern California Giant dealers this week to see when they are getting 2015's. The Giant warehouse is somewhere around here..Irvine I think.

#32 ·
The Advanced SL uses the T800 carbon as it always has. The new Advanced Pro and Advanced models both use T700 now, the biggest difference is that the Pro uses as carbon steerer on the fork. The Advanced uses aluminum. I ordered my Defy Pro 0 a week ago and the delivery date is stated as August.

#50 ·
Just brought home my 2014 Defy Advanced SL 1. I pulled the trigger on it due to Giant moving to disc for 2015. I had planned on buying just a 2015 frame set, but I don't want to have to switch to disc yet. Lucky enough to get it at wholesale. My wife didn't complain since I took the 10 speed DA kit from my current race bike and set her old Trek 5200 up with the 11 speed.

I've ridden the TCR Advanced SL 1 on several occasions and have been very impressed. I would have purchased one if it weren't for back issues making the position a little tough for longer events. Also, the Defy was the most stable bike I have ever ridden.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.