Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Rashad,
    In my opinion the complete bikes are a great value and where my interest lies at the moment. I think if I buy in to the lower end one I will regret having to purchase upgrades later on and have a set of wheels that will be collecting dust for nothing. I think the move for me is to buy once and be done with it.
    I currently have a 2012 defy advanced 3 that has served me really well and has a lot of miles left in it - and I would like my next bike to be considerably better.
    i bought my current bike as my first road bike and didn't want to spend more than I did because I didn't know where this hobby would go.
    4 years later it has become a great obsession and I am averaging 7-8000 km a year and loving it - so I think having a lighter bike with discs and di2 would be a very enjoyable next step. Only thing left would be a power meter and I would probably go with a stages again as mine has been great and training with power has been very useful for me.
    i just think that I need to scratch the aero itch at some point too and being that I am turning 47 shortly I think sooner rather than later would be a strong argument.
    any thoughts about adding the slr aero wheels to a defy frame?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    Rashad,
    In my opinion the complete bikes are a great value and where my interest lies at the moment. I think if I buy in to the lower end one I will regret having to purchase upgrades later on and have a set of wheels that will be collecting dust for nothing. I think the move for me is to buy once and be done with it.
    I currently have a 2012 defy advanced 3 that has served me really well and has a lot of miles left in it - and I would like my next bike to be considerably better.
    i bought my current bike as my first road bike and didn't want to spend more than I did because I didn't know where this hobby would go.
    4 years later it has become a great obsession and I am averaging 7-8000 km a year and loving it - so I think having a lighter bike with discs and di2 would be a very enjoyable next step. Only thing left would be a power meter and I would probably go with a stages again as mine has been great and training with power has been very useful for me.
    i just think that I need to scratch the aero itch at some point too and being that I am turning 47 shortly I think sooner rather than later would be a strong argument.
    any thoughts about adding the slr aero wheels to a defy frame?
    It sounds like you are getting some clarity as well and what you are saying makes sense to me. I am 42, so I definitely get it. I think you have a number of options in addition to the Giant SL wheels if aero is your main objective. FWIW, a number of people argue that aero frames are more hype than substance in many cases, but I will leave it to you to evaluate the pros and cons and determine if it is worth it. I would focus on the TCR if I was really trying to get aero and wanted the benefits of an all around race bike (trying to get super aero on an endurance bike seems counterproductive to me) and I would also consider going with something like the 2016 Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc, Roval CLX 32, Bontrager Aeolus 5 TLR Disc, etc. The aero Giant wheels are more affordable, but pretty narrow by comparison. Bikes like the Giant TCR and new Cannondale Supersix Evo have narrow tube shapes, so you can come away with a fairly aero profile if you add aero wheels and cleanup the cockpit a bit. It's more than aero enough for most people and if you get your fit dialed in and setup where you can spend more time in the drops and a tuck, you will come away with the most significant aero gains anyway.

I think I agree at this point that the complete bike is the way to go unless you are set on getting an SL (I think the frameset is a better value there) or if you already have some components and just need the frame or can't live with the limited color options they have for complete bikes.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    MoPho - good feedback regarding the ISP. Thanks.

Rashad - I am looking over the 2 models and in CAD the pro is aprox. 5400 and the advanced is 2700. So for double the price I am seeing the differences as being:

Carbon wheels vs the Alum on the adv

Hybrid alloy steerer vs Carbon OD2 on the pro.
    I know this affects weight but what about stiffens and responsiveness as well as dampening?

DI2 being the obvious one on the pro vs Mech Ultra - but I feel like I can forgo this aspect - would be nice - but not a deal breaker for me.

Chain rings ont he pro are 52/36 vs 50/34 on the adv - I assume I could swap those out - although I am not really a strong climber and probably wouldn't need to.

I think that about covers it.
    Curious to hear your thoughts regarding the alloy steerer vs the OD2 carbon. Is this something that can be upgraded later on if I so choose...?

My defy has the stem on a neg rise and slammed down to no spacers. Since my legs won't be getting longer any time soon - it is unlikely that a seat raise is in my future- the next step would be to ride something with a lower head tube -hence the TCR.
    Add some aero wheels and work on my fit and I think this is the next move for me...
    I imagine it will feel a little twitchy compared to my Defy but I am pretty sure I could get used to it. Especially with some wider tires for going into turns at higher speeds.
    Great sounding off these ideas here with you all - something about taking the time to write out your thoughts helps to clarify things.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    MoPho - good feedback regarding the ISP. Thanks.

Rashad - I am looking over the 2 models and in CAD the pro is aprox. 5400 and the advanced is 2700. So for double the price I am seeing the differences as being:

Carbon wheels vs the Alum on the adv

Hybrid alloy steerer vs Carbon OD2 on the pro.
    I know this affects weight but what about stiffens and responsiveness as well as dampening?

DI2 being the obvious one on the pro vs Mech Ultra - but I feel like I can forgo this aspect - would be nice - but not a deal breaker for me.

Chain rings ont he pro are 52/36 vs 50/34 on the adv - I assume I could swap those out - although I am not really a strong climber and probably wouldn't need to.

I think that about covers it.
    Curious to hear your thoughts regarding the alloy steerer vs the OD2 carbon. Is this something that can be upgraded later on if I so choose...?

My defy has the stem on a neg rise and slammed down to no spacers. Since my legs won't be getting longer any time soon - it is unlikely that a seat raise is in my future- the next step would be to ride something with a lower head tube -hence the TCR.
    Add some aero wheels and work on my fit and I think this is the next move for me...
    I imagine it will feel a little twitchy compared to my Defy but I am pretty sure I could get used to it. Especially with some wider tires for going into turns at higher speeds.
    Great sounding off these ideas here with you all - something about taking the time to write out your thoughts helps to clarify things.
    I think you pretty much have it. I don't know how the hybrid steerer and OD2 compare since I haven't ridden an OD2 bike, but I didn't feel any downside to the hybrid steerer on the Advanced 1 bike. It felt plenty stiff and comfortable. I'm pretty sure it's not something you can change after purchase. The Advanced 1 is plenty bike for most serious cyclists in my opinion. You add a wheel upgrade, better rotors, and new shifters and it's a really nice bike. That being said, there is some real value packed into the Advanced Pro Disc bike. My guess is that you get a bike that has the same ride quality and some of the same features as the top of line Advanced SL Disc complete bike, but it's almost $3000 less.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    It sounds like you are getting some clarity as well and what you are saying makes sense to me. I am 42, so I definitely get it. I think you have a number of options in addition to the Giant SL wheels if aero is your main objective. FWIW, a number of people argue that aero frames are more hype than substance in many cases, but I will leave it to you to evaluate the pros and cons and determine if it is worth it. I would focus on the TCR if I was really trying to get aero and wanted the benefits of an all around race bike (trying to get super aero on an endurance bike seems counterproductive to me) and I would also consider going with something like the 2016 Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc, Roval CLX 32, Bontrager Aeolus 5 TLR Disc, etc. The aero Giant wheels are more affordable, but pretty narrow by comparison. Bikes like the Giant TCR and new Cannondale Supersix Evo have narrow tube shapes, so you can come away with a fairly aero profile if you add aero wheels and cleanup the cockpit a bit. It's more than aero enough for most people and if you get your fit dialed in and setup where you can spend more time in the drops and a tuck, you will come away with the most significant aero gains anyway.

I think I agree at this point that the complete bike is the way to go unless you are set on getting an SL (I think the frameset is a better value there) or if you already have some components and just need the frame or can't live with the limited color options they have for complete bikes.

I had a similar thought about 18 months ago with my TCR about adding some aero wheels for a speed advantage. I threw on my Zipp firecrest 404/808 combo with tubs off my Felt DA TT/ Ironman bike for a wee trial and comparison. Think I gained about 1 km/h on the TCR on a undulating road course.... about what I thought it would add speed wise, and i also have a aerojacket cover but didn't get to try that out due to it being a tad windy with it being spring time here at that stage.

Think that staying on the drops and having a slammed stem is more advantageous than the aero wheels but it depends on where you are riding... hills and undulating...give me the TCR any day, mostly flat then a Propel or my TT bike is the choice of weapon. Maybe next year a disc Propel will appear in Giant's range... fingers crossed!!

On the TT bike though, aero wheels definitely add a ton of speed ( 1-2km/h with no aero cover) over even a decent set of rims like Fulcrum Racing 1's or Dura ace C24's I use in training..... But at the end of the day a TCR is a awesome GC and climbing bike... having discs is where it's at now especially on decents regardless of what others say ...and knowing that I'm gonna stop at the bottom of a hill especially while doing hill repeats is a bloody nice feeling, and hoping that the cork pads and carbon rims aren't going to burst into flames, or not work at all if it rains on conventional carbon rims like Firecrests.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Ooh.. Just saw the metallic blue frames - ou may need to rethink this one. That is one good looking frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Ooh.. Just saw the metallic blue frames - ou may need to rethink this one. That is one good looking frame.
    I know!!!! My wife is encouraging me to go for it, but it just happens to be her alma mater's colors (UVA), so there's a bit of bias there. Going that direction would mean having to downgrade in other departments though. I still might just do it (peer pressure is a beast, lol).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    @Crazy Stu: Yep, yep...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-tcr-adsl-d-ff-blue.jpg

Oh yeah...
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 09-28-2016 at 02:11 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    So what is the difference between going this route vs buying the complete bike?

You need a groupset wheels saddle and bars/stem. How does that affect cost? Obviously you can get the colour you prefer - as well can cherry pick the exact components you want.
    What about warranty for the frame - same as buying a complete bike?
    Beautiful frame btw.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

You need a groupset wheels saddle and bars/stem. How does that affect cost? Obviously you can get the colour you prefer - as well can cherry pick the exact components you want.
    Beautiful frame btw.
    Warranty is the same. It usually ends up costing a bit more, but, like you said, you get to customize. I would try to piece together a mechanical hydraulic group (probably Ultegra built around RS685 shifters and brakes or Sram Red/Force/Rival 22 HRD) for $600-$800 via ebay and closeout sales. It's fairly easy to find good deals online/ebay for high quality alloy handlebars and stems ($40-$80 a piece), so I would do that. I already have some stuff lying around the house, so I wouldn't have to start completely from scratch, but I would need a lot. I don't compromise on saddles, so I would buy a new saddle (probably a new Giant one or a Specialized Power) since I sold my Toupe (which wouldn't match this bike anyway). Where I would probably have to make a major sacrifice to begin with would be wheels. The Zipp 303 Firecrest DB wheels I had hoped for would not fit in this build budget (not even close), so I would look at something like the Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon DB wheels that can be found for a good deal online, the lower level Giant SL Carbon wheels, Yoeleo DB wheels, or maybe even a nice solid affordable alloy set that I can run tubeless just to get me started (like Giant's SL Alloy or Zipp's 30 Course DB Clincher). If I went that route, I would just plan to upgrade wheels next season or something like that.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 09-28-2016 at 12:22 PM.

Forever a Student
    oops, wrong place.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

Beautiful frame btw.

My current TCR I built up from a frameset the way I wanted, but in hindsight I probably should have bought the complete bike and then changed the parts and sold the stock OEM bits. So this time around I was determined to buy the complete bike and change what I wanted but then I saw the orange and didn't like it at all (and I have an Orange and black sportscar that would have been cool to match, so really wanted to like it) so now I am back to building up a bike again
    IIRC if I was to build it up exactly the same as the stock bike I believe it would have cost me $400 more.
    That said, I am going to do the Ultegra di2 groupeset (the same as OEM), but I am going with carbon bars and stem, a different seat, and a set of Enve aero wheels which made for the cost to be much higher than the complete bike. I would have bought the enve wheels anyway had I bought the complete bike, but I would have ended up with the stock wheels as spares. I am kind of bummed that Giant doesn't offer more than one colorway option on the bike, but I couldn't live with the orange. Not to mention there is already a bunch of the orange ones on the road here, so it will be good to have something different.

As to the aero bits question, here's my take, unless you are getting your paycheck from winning races or are amateur racing at the sharp end of the stick, marginal gains spending to improve speed is kind of silly. If you are recreational riding, you are racing against yourself to push your fitness, so "buying speed" isn't helping your fitness. Now what does improve your fitness? Riding your bike! If you are really excited by your bike, you will ride it more. So if buying aero wheels/bike/parts or spending big money on a bike, etc. gets you that rise, go for it!
    To me the look of the bike is one of the most, if not the most, important factors (and aero wheels look kick ass ).
    Of course it's ok to rationalize it to your partner and friends that you needed this stuff so you can go faster

Now if you really want to get some aero speed going, you're better off buying a skin suit and working on your position.

Last edited by MoPho; 09-28-2016 at 06:10 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    MoPho - As to the aero bits question, here's my take, unless you are getting your paycheck from winning races or are amateur racing at the sharp end of the stick, marginal gains spending to improve speed is kind of silly. If you are recreational riding, you are racing against yourself to push your fitness, so "buying speed" isn't helping your fitness. Now what does improve your fitness? Riding your bike and if you are really excited by your bike, you will ride it more. So to me, if aero wheels/bike/parts or spending big money on a bike, etc., gets you that rise, go for it!
    To me the look of the bike is one of the most, if not the most, important factors (and aero wheels look kick ass ).

We laugh about this all the time.
    I love my bike and love the look of 30-40mm wheels.
    Giant TCR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    My current TCR I built up from a frameset the way I wanted, but in hindsight I probably should have bought the complete bike and then changed the parts and sold the stock OEM bits. So this time around I was determined to buy the complete bike and change what I wanted but then I saw the orange and didn't like it at all (and I have an Orange and black sportscar that would have been cool to match, so really wanted to like it) so now I am back to building up a bike again
    IIRC if I was to build it up exactly the same as the stock bike I believe it would have cost me $400 more.
    That said, I am going to do the Ultegra di2 groupeset (the same as OEM), but I am going with carbon bars and stem, a different seat, and a set of Enve aero wheels which made for the cost to be much higher than the complete bike. I would have bought the enve wheels anyway had I bought the complete bike, but I would have ended up with the stock wheels as spares. I am kind of bummed that Giant doesn't offer more than one colorway option on the bike, but I couldn't live with the orange. Not to mention there is already a bunch of the orange ones on the road here, so it will be good to have something different.

As to the aero bits question, here's my take, unless you are getting your paycheck from winning races or are amateur racing at the sharp end of the stick, marginal gains spending to improve speed is kind of silly. If you are recreational riding, you are racing against yourself to push your fitness, so "buying speed" isn't helping your fitness. Now what does improve your fitness? Riding your bike! If you are really excited by your bike, you will ride it more. So if buying aero wheels/bike/parts or spending big money on a bike, etc. gets you that rise, go for it!
    Of course it's ok to rationalize it to your partner and friends that you needed this stuff so you can go faster

Now if you really want to get some aero speed going, you're better off buying a skin suit and working on your position.

Yes, yes, and yes. Read the post above twice.

I am in love/lust with the Advanced SL frameset right now, particularly given the price (for a top of the line pro level frameset, what???), but it's impossible for me not to agree with the point that buying the complete bike makes the most sense unless you already have your wheels and/or components. I just wish they had one more Advanced Pro bike with mechanical components and a decent paint job for around $3500 in the lineup. I would be all over it. My last 4 bikes have all been builds from framesets and it's fun in the end but it takes energy and the process of getting to the finish line can kind of suck unless you already have your complete budget set aside. Moreover, it can be a major headache if there are any setbacks along the way. The problem for me (like Mopho), is that I can't say I really dig the paint jobs on either of the two more affordable complete TCR Disc bikes. I can live with them, but they aren't the kind of thing I would typically look for. You add to that the fact that I actually really do like the look of both the Advanced Pro and Advanced SL framesets and it's likely that I will end up doing another build, even though I really don't want to.

The moral of the story here is buy the complete bike if you can. You get to start riding and enjoying your new toy immediately for the most part, you save some money, and you have backup components or parts to sell off if you upgrade anything.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 09-28-2016 at 02:10 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Spoke with the boys at giant and received the following weight info. Medium size frames.
    TCR Advanced 1 Disc is : 18.15 lbs

TCR Advanced Pro disc is : 16.09 lbs

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Spoke with the boys at giant and received the following weight info. Medium size frames.
    TCR Advanced 1 Disc is : 18.15 lbs

TCR Advanced Pro disc is : 16.09 lbs
    I decided last night that I am going with the Advanced Pro frameset. I really like the look of the TCR Advanced SL Disc frameset most, but I don't want to deal with the ISP and I decided I'm not willing to pay $900+ dollars for a paint job when I like the look of the Advanced Pro Disc frameset almost as much. I also realized I don't really want the paint scheme on the Advanced 1 Disc complete bike. I am leaning heavy toward going with the Giant SLR1 30mm wheels due to value, but I still kind of want to spring for the Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc wheels or Specialized Roval CLX 32s, but they are expensive and I not sure they are worth it (I got excited about the Zipp wheels while watching the GCN Sram Red eTap Hydro video linked above and the Specialized CLX 32s while watching a review for the new Roubaix). Components will likely be Sram Force 22 Hydro or a mechanical Dura Ace/Ultegra mix built around Shimano RS685 shifters and Ice-Tech rotors. Saddle will be Specialized Power Expert. Handlebars and stem will likely be Zipp Service Course or something like that (they are one of the few brands that make an OD2 stem). Tires will be tubeless 26mm Specialized S-Works Turbo.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 09-30-2016 at 09:56 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is a nice paint job on that frame.
    Giant TCR

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Good for you rashadabd - sure sounds nice.
    i took a left turn today and decided to go propel this time around. And as it happens a sho within a 5 hour drive is blowing out their 2016's. so now my decision will be adv pro1 or sl1. Both of which are just a touch above 1/2 off. Good luck with y Ur build - I'd love to see pics during and once it is all done.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I decided last night that I am going with the Advanced Pro frameset. I really like the look of the TCR Advanced SL frameset most, but I don't want to deal with ISP and I decided I'm not willing to pay $900+ dollars for a paint job when I like the look of the Advanced Pro frameset almost as much. I also realized I don't really want the paint scheme on the Advanced 1 complete bike. I am leaning heavy toward going with the Giant SLR1 30mm wheels due to value, but I still kind of want to spring for the Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc wheels or Specialized Roval CLX 32s, but they are expensive and I not sure they are worth it (I got excited about the Zipp wheels while watching the GCN Sram Red eTap Hydro video linked above and the Specialized CLX 32s while watching a review for the new Roubaix). Components will likely be Sram Force 22 Hydro or a mechanical Dura Ace/Ultegra mix built around Shimano RS685 shifters and Ice-Tech rotors. Saddle will be Specialized Power Expert. Handlebars and stem will likely be Zipp Service Course or something like that (they are one of the few brands that make an OD2 stem). Tires will be tubeless 26mm Specialized S-Works Turbo.

Nice!

Get your order in soon, they're not bringing too many of those frames in apparently so it might take a while. I think I was told that only one other was coming in with mine.
    I did find out that mine is in to Giants HQ and will be here next week. If I am lucky I might be able to get it built up and get one ride in before I leave for 2 weeks

>

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Nice!

Get your order in soon, they're not bringing too many of those frames in apparently so it might take a while. I think I was told that only one other was coming in with mine.
    I did find out that mine is in to Giants HQ and will be here next week. If I am lucky I might be able to get it built up and get one ride in before I leave for 2 weeks

>
    Bugger you guys are lucky!!

I've just heard from my local bike shop/ supplier and ALL the TCR Disc SL0's are on hold as Sram is having trouble supplying the new disc components for the Etap as they're using the new HRD system now instead of Shimano as previously specced... could be a December delivery ..... but if I wanted a Advanced Pro1 those are freely available.... but still going to hold out until then as it's my dream bike and I REALLY REALLY want the orange colour!!

The ISP isn't going to be a problem or concern as I only travel with the bike in my car and I will never fly with it at all.. I can always take my current SL1 which will become my rain bike now. Luckily in New Zealand, a couple of hours in a car as i'm at my bike event, and locally we have plenty of biking events on my front door.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Good for you rashadabd - sure sounds nice.
    i took a left turn today and decided to go propel this time around. And as it happens a sho within a 5 hour drive is blowing out their 2016's. so now my decision will be adv pro1 or sl1. Both of which are just a touch above 1/2 off. Good luck with y Ur build - I'd love to see pics during and once it is all done.
    Not a bad choice at all. Enjoy it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Nice!

>
    Good looking out, thanks and congrats!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Stu View Post
    Bugger you guys are lucky!!

I've just heard from my local bike shop/ supplier and ALL the TCR Disc SL0's are on hold as Sram is having trouble supplying the new disc components for the Etap as they're using the new HRD system now instead of Shimano as previously specced... could be a December delivery ..... but if I wanted a Advanced Pro1 those are freely available.... but still going to hold out until then as it's my dream bike and I REALLY REALLY want the orange colour!!

The ISP isn't going to be a problem or concern as I only travel with the bike in my car and I will never fly with it at all.. I can always take my current SL1 which will become my rain bike now. Luckily in New Zealand, a couple of hours in a car as i'm at my bike event, and locally we have plenty of biking events on my front door.
    Hold out for your dream, you will be happier in the end IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2014
    Saw the ADV pro in person and it looks great. Really nice looking bike.

I scored a mega deacon a closeout 2016 propel sl1 - had to jump on it - getting it cut and fitted tomorrow - will update when i have had a chance to ride it a bit.
    Curious to see where they take the TCR next. Better components at a lower price?
    More options? Lighter? The engineering aspect is very interesting.
    Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-img_1686.jpgAnyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-img_1698.jpg

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast