Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 195
  1. #51
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Nice bike! Maybe it's the angle of the of the camera, but you look a bit too small for it.



    .

  2. #52
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Nice bike! Maybe it's the angle of the of the camera, but you look a bit too small for it.



    .
    They told me that the ISP can be cut quite a bit and with a shoe shim or two should work itself out...

  3. #53
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,560
    That is very sweet looking indeed. I am interested in hearing your opinion on how it compares to the TCR out on the road. The new Propel Advanced 1 is pretty good looking as well.

    Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-203596_bwbbmgapficwvyieg_q6xnclc.jpg
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  4. #54
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    29
    Is a great looking bike and better still that you scored a great run out deal... was the guard dog an accessory (looks as though the legs may have been cut a wee bit short Hope he doesn't chew the tyres!!!.... the '17 does look particulary sharp...we don't get that colour combo here at all.

  5. #55
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Game on!






    .

  6. #56
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    29

    Cool

    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Game on!






    .
    WOO HOO... Christmas has come early!!! Did it come with Chinglish or IKEA type instructions.... or none at all!!!

    Looking forward to the end result... guess the front door is locked and the phone is off so as NO disturbances HEHEHE...

  7. #57
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,461

  8. #58
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,560
    Good lawd!!! Me likey (a lot). Well done Sir.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  9. #59
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Thanks! Came out to weigh 17lbs even with pedals, computer/mount, cages, and the power meter that "somehow" fell into the box. Was hoping for it to weigh a little less for no other reason than to tell off the naysayers but my friend has a similar set up on his rim brake TCR and it is a bit over 16lbs, so not too surprised.
    Apparently this is the first one in the country

    .

  10. #60
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,560
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Thanks! Came out to weigh 17lbs even with pedals, computer/mount, cages, and the power meter that "somehow" fell into the box. Was hoping for it to weigh a little less for no other reason than to tell off the naysayers but my friend has a similar set up on his rim brake TCR and it is a bit over 16lbs, so not too surprised.
    Apparently this is the first one in the country

    .
    Awesome, I am not an elite climber so I will happily trade a pound of added weight for disc brakes any day.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  11. #61
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    29
    Great build and thanks for the awesome pics .... good workshop to work in too by the looks of it..... Patiently waiting still for mine or news of delivery!!

  12. #62
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    I'm in the market for a frameset.

    I've decided on the TCR but I haven't decided on the SL or standard advanced frameset.

    I do like the paint scheme on the advanced a little better, but the SL is damn unique with the orange and blue.

    The ISP doesn't seem that bad of an idea as long as it does in fact really offer up some compliance (never ridden one). I was initially worried about traveling with this frame, but others have said it is not a problem.

    Thoughts/ ideas?

    In the grand scheme of things, $850 isn't going to break the bank as they say, but I would like to get some opinions on the two.

    Thanks,

  13. #63
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Stu View Post
    Great build and thanks for the awesome pics .... good workshop to work in too by the looks of it..... Patiently waiting still for mine or news of delivery!!
    Well I sent a email to the Oceania distributor ( Australia and New Zealand ) of Giant about the expected delivery of my SL0... Got the reply today ...

    HMMMM it seems that still a delay on getting the new disc system from SRAM and expected delivery is now mid January 2017!!!... I guess that they may be a wee bit "brake" shy after the initial disc brake debarcle a few years ago that resulted in the recall but I keep seeing tests on the new HRD system all over the place on You Tube and Online magazines...

    Blimey at this rate it'll be a '18 model before it hits the dealer floors.... But I'll still waiting patiently for the bloody thing... PLEASE GIANT... Pull Finger!!!

  14. #64
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    19
    Can you guys share some ride reports? I'm eagerly awaiting mine.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  15. #65
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Will try and write something up when I get a moment but in the meantime:


  16. #66
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Will try and write something up when I get a moment but in the meantime:

    Awesome thanks

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  17. #67
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    So unfortunately right after taking delivery of the bike I had to leave for a 10 day family trip, so I only have about 300 miles on the bike so far. For comparison I am coming off a 2014 TCR SL size medium and this Advanced Pro is a small, so a bit of a different fit too. I always considered my old TCR to be a scalpel but this bike is a SCALPEL!!! I didn't think it was possible for the handling to get better, but it has. This bike really tracks amazingly through corners and loves to rip down descents. The disc brakes and Di2 add to it. The funny bit is I have been slower descending because it is so much fun to jam on the brakes going into corners that I have been slowing more than I have to LOL. The disc brake naysayers are full of ****, the brakes are just awesome. Obviously you don't gain more stopping power because the tires can only grip so much, but you can feel so much more that you can use the power you have more effectively. Just today I had to do a hard stop from over 35mph, you could hear the tires crying fro grip but I was able to keep them from from locking up.
    After hard braking, you do get some brake rubbing for 10-20s until they cool down. Also after the initial build I did have brake rub, but it was easy to fix. The thru axles are great, nice to not have to check if my wheels being tight before a big descent. Have only had to remove the front wheel so far and it is easier than dealing with a QR and lawyer tabs. The rear might be trickier.

    Coming off my SL, this bike is considerably stiffer, both in power transfer and at the front end (which makes for the great steering), BUT it is also a stiffer ride. For lack of a better description, my old TCR had a nice smooth "carpet" ride, first impressions were that this bike is harsh. My first ride left me hugely disappointed in the ride quality. I have since lowered the air pressure from what I usually ride and it is MUCH better, though still stiffer than my old bike. That said we are thinking that much of this harshness is more because of my choice of wheels than the frame (more on this in a bit). I do recall the demo OEM bike to be a bit harsher too, but not this harsh. Maybe the new SL is better, but the firm ride is not in the seat post but through the front end. Also remember I am comparing it to the previous gen bike and a bigger frame, additionally according to Giant the new one is supposed to be stiffer.
    Now I am first to admit that I buy aero wheels more for the look than the supposed performance gain, and these Enve wheels are the SEX!!! Man they look awesome and the red DT Swiss hubs along with the disc rotors just add to it. People really notice them too.
    I am typically skeptical about the claimed marginal gains but I be damned you can really feel the aero on these wheels kick in, at times it almost feels like you have a tail wind. It comes at a price as they are also affected by cross winds more than I had experienced on my previous Reynolds Assault wheels (46mm - Enve 54/63mm F/R), but only in strong gusts is a bit of an issue and you are likely to get blown about no matter what you are riding anyway.
    As noted the wheels are really stiff, unlike the Reynolds, they don't flex at all when you jump on the power, which is great and makes the bike feel responsive. We are thinking that much of the harsh ride is because of how deep these wheels are in addition to the added spoke count for the disc. I've lowered the air pressure a bit and it is pretty good now. Until I try it with different wheels, I won't know for sure, but It's a race bike, not endurance.

    The paint finish is great, I love that they went all matte finish instead of glossy for the graphics. I really loved the black with subtle blue accents on my previous TCR, so I was worried I wouldn't like the more colorful graphics on this bike, but I am thrilled with it.

    Also, the Di2 is totally worth it, I am as impressed with it as the brakes. It shifts so easily you end up using the gearing more. It's fantastic to be able to make your downshifts while braking into a corner or even in the middle of the corner so that it drops into the gear you need on the exit.

    Let me know if you have any other questions


    iPhone snap
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-image.jpg  

  18. #68
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    So unfortunately right after taking delivery of the bike I had to leave for a 10 day family trip, so I only have about 300 miles on the bike so far. For comparison I am coming off a 2014 TCR SL size medium and this Advanced Pro is a small, so a bit of a different fit too. I always considered my old TCR to be a scalpel but this bike is a SCALPEL!!! I didn't think it was possible for the handling to get better, but it has. This bike really tracks amazingly through corners and loves to rip down descents. The disc brakes and Di2 add to it. The funny bit is I have been slower descending because it is so much fun to jam on the brakes going into corners that I have been slowing more than I have to LOL. The disc brake naysayers are full of ****, the brakes are just awesome. Obviously you don't gain more stopping power because the tires can only grip so much, but you can feel so much more that you can use the power you have more effectively. Just today I had to do a hard stop from over 35mph, you could hear the tires crying fro grip but I was able to keep them from from locking up.
    After hard braking, you do get some brake rubbing for 10-20s until they cool down. Also after the initial build I did have brake rub, but it was easy to fix. The thru axles are great, nice to not have to check if my wheels being tight before a big descent. Have only had to remove the front wheel so far and it is easier than dealing with a QR and lawyer tabs. The rear might be trickier.

    Coming off my SL, this bike is considerably stiffer, both in power transfer and at the front end (which makes for the great steering), BUT it is also a stiffer ride. For lack of a better description, my old TCR had a nice smooth "carpet" ride, first impressions were that this bike is harsh. My first ride left me hugely disappointed in the ride quality. I have since lowered the air pressure from what I usually ride and it is MUCH better, though still stiffer than my old bike. That said we are thinking that much of this harshness is more because of my choice of wheels than the frame (more on this in a bit). I do recall the demo OEM bike to be a bit harsher too, but not this harsh. Maybe the new SL is better, but the firm ride is not in the seat post but through the front end. Also remember I am comparing it to the previous gen bike and a bigger frame, additionally according to Giant the new one is supposed to be stiffer.
    Now I am first to admit that I buy aero wheels more for the look than the supposed performance gain, and these Enve wheels are the SEX!!! Man they look awesome and the red DT Swiss hubs along with the disc rotors just add to it. People really notice them too.
    I am typically skeptical about the claimed marginal gains but I be damned you can really feel the aero on these wheels kick in, at times it almost feels like you have a tail wind. It comes at a price as they are also affected by cross winds more than I had experienced on my previous Reynolds Assault wheels (46mm - Enve 54/63mm F/R), but only in strong gusts is a bit of an issue and you are likely to get blown about no matter what you are riding anyway.
    As noted the wheels are really stiff, unlike the Reynolds, they don't flex at all when you jump on the power, which is great and makes the bike feel responsive. We are thinking that much of the harsh ride is because of how deep these wheels are in addition to the added spoke count for the disc. I've lowered the air pressure a bit and it is pretty good now. Until I try it with different wheels, I won't know for sure, but It's a race bike, not endurance.

    The paint finish is great, I love that they went all matte finish instead of glossy for the graphics. I really loved the black with subtle blue accents on my previous TCR, so I was worried I wouldn't like the more colorful graphics on this bike, but I am thrilled with it.

    Also, the Di2 is totally worth it, I am as impressed with it as the brakes. It shifts so easily you end up using the gearing more. It's fantastic to be able to make your downshifts while braking into a corner or even in the middle of the corner so that it drops into the gear you need on the exit.

    Let me know if you have any other questions


    iPhone snap
    Such a gorgeous bike.

    Think I'll get hunt light aero 50 wheels for mine.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  19. #69
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,560
    I still love how that thing looks man. You really did a great job of selecting pieces that fit together well. It's definitely one of my favorite bikes that I have seen this year thus far (that includes both in person and online).

    I have one question. One of the early reviews mentioned fork shuddering when braking sometimes. I haven't heard anyone else mention it in any of the recent reviews though (including the one you posted above). It sounds like you are doing some heavy and technical braking, so have you experienced any shuddering at all?

    New Giant TCR Disc launched - First Ride - Cycling Weekly

    FWIW, I am torn again between the Advanced 1 Disc complete bike, starting from scratch with either an Advanced Pro Disc frameset or Advanced SL frameset, or going with the Scott Addict Disc (Addict 20 $3500/Addict 30 $2850). I am leaning toward the Advanced 1 Disc or Addict 30 Disc, since that would leave more room to throw money at a wheel upgrade. I am still lusting after the new wider Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc Tubeless wheels with black decals paired with some 28mm tubeless tires. I don't think I will be happy with any of the cheaper wheels at this point. With regard to which bike to go with, one day I am sold on one option and then another the next day. ............ Same shop (and factory- both are made in Giant's factory) either way, so I can't use that to help me narrow it down any. Not sure what to do yet, but I have definitely settled on wheels and tires (Schwalbe). I guess that is progress...

    Any advice any of you feel like sharing is appreciated. The Giant bikes are a bit cheaper, come with a lifetime warranty, and have better paint schemes, but the Addict bikes ride a little smoother (but aren't as stiff) and have the disc brake cable routing internally through the fork, etc. The Addict is probably a little lighter as well.

    EB16: Zipp 303 finally goes tubeless! Plus new disc-disc & premium 202 NSW, more - Bikerumor

    Zipp - Speed Weaponry | Wheels | 303 Firecrest® Carbon Clincher Tubeless Disc-brake

    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...-advanced-disc

    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...-disc-frameset

    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...-disc-frameset

    https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...t-30-Disc-Bike

    https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...t-20-Disc-Bike
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 10-27-2016 at 11:44 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  20. #70
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,461
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I still love how that thing looks man. You really did a great job of selecting pieces that fit together well. It's definitely one of my favorite bikes that I have seen this year thus far (that includes both in person and online).

    I have one question. One of the early reviews mentioned fork shuddering when braking sometimes. I haven't heard anyone else mention it in any of the recent reviews though (including the one you posted above). It sounds like you are doing some heavy and technical braking, so have you experienced any shuddering at all?

    New Giant TCR Disc launched - First Ride - Cycling Weekly

    FWIW, I am torn again between the Advanced 1 Disc complete bike, starting from scratch with either an Advanced Pro Disc frameset or Advanced SL frameset, or going with the Scott Addict Disc (Addict 20 $3500/Addict 30 $2850). I am leaning toward the Advanced 1 Disc or Addict 30 Disc, since that would leave more room to throw money at a wheel upgrade. I am still lusting after the new wider Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc Tubeless wheels with black decals paired with some 28mm tubeless tires. I don't think I will be happy with any of the cheaper wheels at this point. With regard to which bike to go with, one day I am sold on one option and then another the next day. ............ Same shop (and factory- both are made in Giant's factory) either way, so I can't use that to help me narrow it down any. Not sure what to do yet, but I have definitely settled on wheels and tires (Schwalbe). I guess that is progress...

    Any advice any of you feel like sharing is appreciated. The Giant bikes are a bit cheaper, come with a lifetime warranty, and have better paint schemes, but the Addict bikes ride a little smoother (but aren't as stiff) and have the disc brake cable routing internally through the fork, etc. The Addict is probably a little lighter as well.

    Thanks for the compliments! I had read that article too, but I have not experienced the shuddering at all so far.

    So today I scored a slightly used set of the Giant SLR1 Carbon disc wheels that came off a TCR advanced Pro. Plan to use them for wheels on the indoor trainer and as back ups. Will be interested to see if it changes the ride. The guy I bought them off of is an LBS manager near by and bought an advanced pro for himself. He ended up putting the same Enve wheels as I did and didn't think the ride is that harsh at all and his previous bike was a Defy disc. During the conversation about this I realized that my first ride on the bike was on a route that is notoriously rough, so maybe that skewed my perception. I had immediately lowered the air pressure on the next ride, so I will try again with higher pressure and report back.

    Not sure I can help much with your bike choices since I have not ridden the others, but if it means anything, my friends shop is both a Scott and Giant dealer, he built up a Scott bike for himself but seems to prefer his Giant (Propel)

    Your budget seems to be all over the place but seems your best bet would be to buy the Advanced Pro with the Di2 if you can live with the Orange. The electronic shifting is worth it.


    .

  21. #71
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,560
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Thanks for the compliments! I had read that article too, but I have not experienced the shuddering at all so far.

    So today I scored a slightly used set of the Giant SLR1 Carbon disc wheels that came off a TCR advanced Pro. Plan to use them for wheels on the indoor trainer and as back ups. Will be interested to see if it changes the ride. The guy I bought them off of is an LBS manager near by and bought an advanced pro for himself. He ended up putting the same Enve wheels as I did and didn't think the ride is that harsh at all and his previous bike was a Defy disc. During the conversation about this I realized that my first ride on the bike was on a route that is notoriously rough, so maybe that skewed my perception. I had immediately lowered the air pressure on the next ride, so I will try again with higher pressure and report back.

    Not sure I can help much with your bike choices since I have not ridden the others, but if it means anything, my friends shop is both a Scott and Giant dealer, he built up a Scott bike for himself but seems to prefer his Giant (Propel)

    Your budget seems to be all over the place but seems your best bet would be to buy the Advanced Pro with the Di2 if you can live with the Orange. The electronic shifting is worth it.


    .
    Please keep us updated on your wheel tests, I am interested in hearing your thoughts. Thank you for your for the advice. I definitely considered that option multiple times. I don't like the black and orange much at all to be honest. I love that the bike comes with Di2, but I am pretty set on going with the Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc Wheels and wouldn't be able to do that if I bought the complete Advanced Pro Disc bike (not even close). I like the look of the Giant wheels, but I definitely prefer something that is wider than 23mm for multiple reasons.

    From a financial and effort standpoint, the best case scenario for me is just to get a complete bike for $2500 or less and then just add the wheels. That's what makes the Advanced 1 and Scott Addict Disc 30 so appealing. The move to electronic shifting would likely have to happen later on down the road. I haven't been able to make adding both the wheels and electronic shifting at the same time work regardless of how I crunch the numbers thus far. I am pretty sure I can piece together a hydraulic Di2 group for a pretty reasonable price via ebay and closeout sales fairly easily once I am ready, so getting that stock/out of the gate isn't a deal breaker. The only scenarios where it seems like I may be able to come away with both wheels and an electronic groupset initially is to start with a cheaper bike like the Defy Advanced 3 or a cheaper wheelset like the Giant wheels or something like a set of Reynolds or a set from an independent brand from China like Yoeleo. Every other option seems to end up being about $500-$1000 over the budget that works for me.

    You are right though, if I liked the color and the wheels, the Advanced Pro Disc would be perfect. It's a great value as are many of the TCR complete builds. To be completely honest, I don't really like the paint scheme on the Advanced Disc 1 or the Addict Disc 30 much either, but I could live with them. That being said, going with one of the better looking framesets works financially as well if I build it up with mechanical shifting and select cheaper handlebars, saddle, and stem. I prefer the paint schemes on the TCR framesets over all of the other options by a significant margin as well (I actually really like them). This is where I typically get stuck, btw. I really don't want to go through the hassle of shopping for deals on parts while building up the bike from a frameset, but I guess that may be the only scenario where I come away with both a bike and wheels I completely love to both ride and look at.

    Right now, the best options seem to be one of the following:

    1.) Giant TCR Advanced 1 Disc upgraded with Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubeless Disc wheels and Shimano RS685 shifters. (I am not in love with the paint job, but this option allows me to take my time getting the wheels, plus my lbs already has the bike in stock in my size).

    2). Build up from the Giant Advanced Pro frameset using Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubeless Disc wheels and a Sram Rival/Force or Shimano 105/Ultegra groupset. (The idea of the finished product here makes me smile while the process to get there makes me want to cry. I am not excited about spending time shopping for deals online and waiting for pieces to arrive one at a time from all over the country/world).

    3.) Forget the TCR and upgrade a Defy Advanced 3 with both Zipp 303 Firecrest Tubeless Disc Wheels and an electronic groupset (Di2 or Sram eTap). (This one is a stretch financially and I wouldn't really come away with the frame I want, but I would end up with a pretty great bike from a looks and performance standpoint that is built around some awesome components).
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 10-27-2016 at 07:29 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  22. #72
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Game on!






    .
    I just bought this frameset. Will be building up with Sram Red, Reynolds Assualt wheels.

  23. #73
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    Just picked up my frame. Size M. Frame, seatpost, rear axle, miscellaneous paper covering from package - 1,190 grams. no fork.

    I measured it like this in case anyone wanted to compare against the SL frame with ISP.

  24. #74
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    23
    Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-20161109_161738.jpg

  25. #75
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    5,560
    Here's a little TCR history for you guys. Some of this is really interesting IMO.

    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc
    By jumbojuice in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 08-15-2017, 07:35 PM
  2. RBR TdF 2017 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2017
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-22-2017, 08:05 PM
  3. New Propel for 2017
    By gaff in forum Giant
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2016, 10:30 AM
  4. Disc brake rotors for cross & general riding
    By deviousalex in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 10:03 PM
  5. Riding with back/disc problems
    By Mike_nyc1 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •