Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm in the process of building it up with 160/140. I'm confident that any bike with flat mounts should handle 160.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I picked up a new Giant TCR Advance Disc a few weeks ago and have several 70 mile rides on it. The bike feels incredibly responsive, however, feels just a little harsher overall than the Scott Foil it's replacing.

I did make a few changes to the bike:

• Specialized Power Pro saddle
    • Power2Max Rotor cranks
    • ITM X-Zero stem (It's very hard to find a 1 1/4" stem with more drop than the stock stem
    • Kore headset top cap that's 5mm lower than the stock cap

The bike as seen weighs 17.1 pounds (including pedals, cage, computer), which isn't too bad for an Ultegra Di2, disc brake equipped bike.

When the tires wear out, I'll probably replace with Bontrager R3 TLR tires, which are tubeless tires ... though about going back to tubes, but as many flats as I get from road staples, I'm going to keep the tubeless set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-giant-tcr-disc.jpg  
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    I picked up a new Giant TCR Advance Disc a few weeks ago and have several 70 mile rides on it. The bike feels incredibly responsive, however, feels just a little harsher overall than the Scott Foil it's replacing.

I did make a few changes to the bike:

• Specialized Power Pro saddle
    • Power2Max Rotor cranks
    • ITM X-Zero stem (It's very hard to find a 1 1/4" stem with more drop than the stock stem
    • Kore headset top cap that's 5mm lower than the stock cap

The bike as seen weighs 17.1 pounds (including pedals, cage, computer), which isn't too bad for an Ultegra Di2, disc brake equipped bike.

When the tires wear out, I'll probably replace with Bontrager R3 TLR tires, which are tubeless tires ... though about going back to tubes, but as many flats as I get from road staples, I'm going to keep the tubeless set up.
    I actually already replaced my tires with the R3 TLRs and it has really improved the ride. Much smoother and more comfortable. I also find they inspire a lot more confidence through the corners

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    I actually already replaced my tires with the R3 TLRs and it has really improved the ride. Much smoother and more comfortable. I also find they inspire a lot more confidence through the corners
    Did you go with the 23c or 25c tires? If you went with the 25c, are the wider/taller than the stock Giant tires?

Just curious ... the stock Giant 25c tires look more like 23c tires.
    Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2015
    Did you go with the 23c or 25c tires? If you went with the 25c, are the wider/taller than the stock Giant tires?

Just curious ... the stock Giant 25c tires look more like 23c tires.
    The bontragers actually come in 24c and 26c. I went with the 26c and there was quite a noticeable bump in width and total volume.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSracer View Post
    The bontragers actually come in 24c and 26c. I went with the 26c and there was quite a noticeable bump in width and total volume.
    Thanks for the reply ... I'll probably go with the 24c's when the time comes as I'm happy with the size of the current tires.

Granted, larger tires have more volume for lower pressure and a better ride overall, but the current tires (though they are rough riding) are fine with me ... 4 hour rides are not that big of a deal.

Going tubeless is new to me ... so trying to find the right tire to replace the stock ones with has been a bit of a guessing game, however, I have a lot of experience with Bontrager tires using the R series on my TT bikes and AW series on my winter bike.
    Bikes:

Awd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    I am running 25c on them, and there is plenty of room, could run 28c
    Hey MoPho,

Have you tried 28c tires yet? I'll be getting my 5.6 soon and have given thought to trying the Vittoria Corsa G+ tire in 28c? I am currently on the stock wheels with GP4000s in 25c. Any thoughts?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Awd View Post
    Hey MoPho,

Have you tried 28c tires yet? I'll be getting my 5.6 soon and have given thought to trying the Vittoria Corsa G+ tire in 28c? I am currently on the stock wheels with GP4000s in 25c. Any thoughts?

I have not yet, I have a stash of 25c GP4000's so it may be a while

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    A little off topic, but looking for info on the stock Giant SL OD2 stem. I bought a 2017 Defy Advanced PRO 1 (not the TCR), but need a longer stem. (I assume the two models are similar and use the same stem/size)?
    I happened to have a longer Specialized 1-1/4" stem, but it was too large for the steerer? Anyone know if only the proprietary OD2 stem fits properly?
    Thanks

Awd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    A little off topic, but looking for info on the stock Giant SL OD2 stem. I bought a 2017 Defy Advanced PRO 1 (not the TCR), but need a longer stem. (I assume the two models are similar and use the same stem/size)?
    I happened to have a longer Specialized 1-1/4" stem, but it was too large for the steerer? Anyone know if only the proprietary OD2 stem fits properly?
    Thanks
    I managed to fit a 100mm Pro Vibe 7s alloy stem 1-1/4 on TCR Adv pro disc 1. I am surprised to hear that the Spec 1-1/4" was too large. The other stem I considered with Ritchey and Zipp.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Awd View Post
    I managed to fit a 100mm Pro Vibe 7s alloy stem 1-1/4 on TCR Adv pro disc 1. I am surprised to hear that the Spec 1-1/4" was too large. The other stem I considered with Ritchey and Zipp.
    Thanks for the reply. Upon more research, the Specialized stem I had was a proprietary size which was larger than the Giant.
    I'm surprised you were able to fit another stem? The taper of the Giant steerer makes most 1-1/4" stems unusable. The OD2 seems to be all I can find. Glad yours worked out.

Awd
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Upon more research, the Specialized stem I had was a proprietary size which was larger than the Giant.
    I'm surprised you were able to fit another stem? The taper of the Giant steerer makes most 1-1/4" stems unusable. The OD2 seems to be all I can find. Glad yours worked out.
    I would be surprised if any stem that fits 1-1/4" will not fit.

Below are the links for the zipp, ritchey, and pro
    Zipp - Speed Weaponry | Stems | Service Course SL-OS Stem

https://ritcheylogic.com/wcs-4-axis-1-25-blatte-stem

PRO - Vibe Stem

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ritchey, Pro, Zipp and ITM all make stems that will fit. The Pro Vibe 7 stems are harder to find, though it looks like you can get them shipped from Taiwan by ordering from Ebay.

The Zipp and Ritchey are +/-6 degree stems ... the Pro and ITM are +/-10 stems ... I have the ITM X-Zero on my bike and like it well enough.

All of the giant 1 1/4" stems will fit on the TCR and I believe all are +/-8 degree stems.
    Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    It looks like the entry level TCR Disc made Bike Radar's top5 for Bike of the Year.

Bike of the Year 2017: Specialized Roubaix wins Road Bike of the Year - BikeRadar
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Just got my 2017 Tcr pro disc. Fantastic bike,I can't believe I've spent sworks money in the past..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just an FYI for those looking for a lower drop stem...

It looks like Ritchey has -17 degree rise stems for the Giant/Canyon bikes that have 1 1/4" steerer tubes.

I just ordered a 110mm/-17 from Universalcycles.com that should be here next Tuesday. I was thinking of going the custom route, but just saw these available and thought I'd share the news for those that don't know.
    Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2016
    I have a 2017 TCR Advanced SL with Dura Ace 9100 drivetrain. Looking to upgrade my BB to Ceramic Speed but don't know which model will fit my bike. I assume its a BB86? Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2017
    I've got the the 2017 TCR Advanced Pro Disc and done about 2000km and so far not that impressed. In terms of the discs, I find the levers annoying, there is way too much free play in the them before the they engage and to adjust them otherwise I find is not that easy.

The hubs are also to be pretty average.....they just don't spin well. I have cheaper shimano wheels on my old bike and they spin for at least twice as long. The rear appears to have an issue as well. When I tighten the rear thru axel it appears to put pressure on the hub bearing and effects how well it spins. It's not as if I am doing it up super tight either. When I release it 3/4 turn it free's up the wheel. Has a
    nyone else had this issue?

Anyway, just thought I would share my experiences.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_ View Post

The hubs are also to be pretty average.....they just don't spin well. I have cheaper shimano wheels on my old bike and they spin for at least twice as long. The rear appears to have an issue as well. When I tighten the rear thru axel it appears to put pressure on the hub bearing and effects how well it spins. It's not as if I am doing it up super tight either. When I release it 3/4 turn it free's up the wheel. Has a

wow...is this me ??? I've just came here to talk about this,thank you for helping me in first place in writing down EXACTLY what I'm going through. My front wheel is just ok,but coming from ceramic bearings in my previous bike I may be spoiled,but again my old Shimanos DA C24 had nothing to be ashamed for in comparison.
    Now,back to the rear wheel : what can we do ? I wonder if replacing the TA with a more fancy one may make a difference ?

Everything else I'm fine with,I love this bike. But yes,a bit more tune-up options for brake levers may have come at hand but looks like it's the way they have been conceived.
    Last edited by Devastazione; 1 Week Ago at 12:24 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mic_ View Post
    I've got the the 2017 TCR Advanced Pro Disc and done about 2000km and so far not that impressed. In terms of the discs, I find the levers annoying, there is way too much free play in the them before the they engage and to adjust them otherwise I find is not that easy.

In regard to the wheels...

The front wheel spins freely on my bike, the rear wheel doesn't spin as well. However, I feel this is a product of a tight freehub body, not the bearings. When riding, I don't notice any issues with power loss due to friction and am in fact, riding faster uphill on the TCR than I was on my foil.

I have also noticed it has loosened up a little over time, but still feels tight. It's not something I really worry about since it doesn't appear to have slowed me down at all.

With all that said, they are a bit heavy and going to an aftermarket set would take some weight off the bike ... I do like the tubeless system though. Having never ridden tubeless tires and given the number of flats I get (had 15+ this winter on other bikes), the sealant works wonders for me. I've had two punctures that have sealed up while on rides preventing me from having to change tubes and allowing me to continue riding. I do carry extra CO2 in case I lose enough pressure during a puncture while it's sealing .. so I can bring the pressure back to normal.

As for the brakes ... that's a matter of proper adjustment and bleeding of the brakes. If you can't/don't know how to work on them ... take it to your shop and have them adjust them for you, which should clear up the problem. I personally love the feel of my brake levers ... smooth, easy to engage, lever pull is a bit long but nothing I didn't get used to, modulation is great, power is great.
    Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeolite View Post
    I have a 2017 TCR Advanced SL with Dura Ace 9100 drivetrain. Looking to upgrade my BB to Ceramic Speed but don't know which model will fit my bike. I assume its a BB86? Thanks!
    Pretty sure it's a BB86, you should be able to contact Giant or your LBS to make sure.
    Bikes:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    In regard to the wheels...

The front wheel spins freely on my bike, the rear wheel doesn't spin as well. However, I feel this is a product of a tight freehub body, not the bearings. When riding, I don't notice any issues with power loss due to friction and am in fact, riding faster uphill on the TCR than I was on my foil.

I have also noticed it has loosened up a little over time, but still feels tight. It's not something I really worry about since it doesn't appear to have slowed me down at all.

Thanks for the input. Same here,I you really have to be ultra picky or pro like sensitive to notice any related issues while pedaling,so as long as there's no hub/bearings harm I'm fine with it. My TCR has only 220km on it and right now I'll stop riding until september as I'm too busy at work,we'll see who the whole thing will fare in the long run..

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456