Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    As far as I know, it is not included.

No, D-Fly is not included. I haven't experienced the "battery falling down" issue. I'm loving the frame... definitely the fastest Giant frame. i also have a Propel advanced, and if the wind blows at all where you live you'll find the tcr to be much more stable. Even though the geometry is almost identical, i can still get more comfortable on my propel though so i need to do a little more tweaking (same saddle/stem/bars). I pretty much stripped mine down and changed everything except for shifters & brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Admittedly, I was never a big fan of the graphics on my bike, so I decided to give it a paint job to clean it up a bit today

After

Before

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    This thread is awesome. If I had seen it, I may have gone with the TCR instead of the Defy (which I love).
    Sounds like some of you guys are older (I'm 58 this week) and larger (I'm 6 foot 4 230 lbs). I almost went with the pro, but thought I would be too heavy for the frame and wheels. I did do some upgrades before I rode the bike which I am very happy with.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Love the color change.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Unlike many of you guys. My problem was I didn't start my search until June so there weren't any bikes (in my size/color left in the states). After telling me there were no 17s left in the states, they said they found the last one sitting at the factory and I grabbed it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Admittedly, I was never a big fan of the graphics on my bike, so I decided to give it a paint job to clean it up a bit today

After

Before

Wow !! What a difference ! Sexy indeed !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Wow !! What a difference ! Sexy indeed !

Thx! I liked the color at first but after a while I started feeling like the fashion police would come after me when my kits clashed with the bike. Removing the color graphics was like taking the Tammy Faye bad makeup off LOL.
    I like clean design rather than graphics on bikes so painted it with plastic-dip, so it is removable, but if it doesn't hold up well I think I will use regular paint next time.

So, 5k mile update, everything has been great but I have had a minor issue with the brakes that started pretty recently. The brakes started pulsing and making a clunking like noise when braking hard below 20mph. Doesn't really affect the braking but annoying. The pads seem to be chattering over the Shimano rotor vents for some reason. At first it was just the front brake, so I moved the pads to the rear and the noise went to the back. I sanded down the pads and it went away for a bit, but came back. I replaced the pads, same thing, went away for a while and came back. New rotors, same. Brakes are centered. I went to a bigger 160mm front rotor and that helped for a while (braking was much improved, definitely go to 160 if you haven't already), but now it's back happening on both brakes. There are a few other guys on TCR disc here and they haven't had the issue, and the shop is not sure what is causing it suggesting that perhaps it's because I am faster descender than the others and using the brakes harder.
    My next step is to try Sram Centerline rotors since they don't have vertical slots in them. Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited by MoPho; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:17 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    The short answer is yes. I won't go into it here. Pm me if you would like to talk. I will give you my cell# sad to say, I'm glad I'm not alone. I have caught a few threads on this topic on the Giants in particular.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Message sent

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    It's a problem with the Shimano IceTech rotors. I've had it happen on RT-99s and RT-900s. I don't have a TCR Disc, but this happens on both the front brakes of my Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc (TRP Spyres) and my Emonda SLR Disc (SRAM HRD.)

The symptoms? It sounds like a wub-wub-wub or turkey gobble. It's not a squeal, though sometimes there is a high pitched squeak. It happens on different types of pads, and it's only obvious at lower speeds. If the brakes are hot, it doesn't seem to make the noise. It's never been a problem on my rear. Sanding down the pads helped at first, but after a few hard stops, the noise comes back.

Switching to SRAM Centerline rotors should fix your problem for the most part.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Thx! I liked the color at first but after a while I started feeling like the fashion police would come after me when my kits clashed with the bike. Removing the color graphics was like taking the Tammy Faye bad makeup off LOL.
    I like clean design rather than graphics on bikes so painted it with plastic-dip, so it is removable, but if it doesn't hold up well I think I will use regular paint next time.

I hear you. I have a black and red jacket and my TCR is black and bright orange,I need to do something unless I want to look like I came out straight from 1992.

About the brakes issues I only have 200kms on my TCR and I will resume riding in a few weeks. I've always had a similari issue with Shimano brakes on my mtbs when I used to stored them for 5 months like I do every year with my bikes. There was no way I could stop weird noises from brakes and get a decent brake action too,but a quick change of pads always solved the issue. I would assume you've had the brakes bed in when you've first got the bike,right ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I hear you. I have a black and red jacket and my TCR is black and bright orange,I need to do something unless I want to look like I came out straight from 1992.

About the brakes issues I only have 200kms on my TCR and I will resume riding in a few weeks. I've always had a similari issue with Shimano brakes on my mtbs when I used to stored them for 5 months like I do every year with my bikes. There was no way I could stop weird noises from brakes and get a decent brake action too,but a quick change of pads always solved the issue. I would assume you've had the brakes bed in when you've first got the bike,right ?
    Yeah, One of the clubs I am in has Orange themed kits, clashes with everything. I also sponsor a local team, so get their kit which coincidentally matched the colors of the bike perfectly, but that was dorkish too LOL.

I did bed the pads each time, the weird bit is this problem didn't turn up until a few thousand miles into ownership, now it is all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post
    It's a problem with the Shimano IceTech rotors. I've had it happen on RT-99s and RT-900s. I don't have a TCR Disc, but this happens on both the front brakes of my Ritchey Swiss Cross Disc (TRP Spyres) and my Emonda SLR Disc (SRAM HRD.)

The symptoms? It sounds like a wub-wub-wub or turkey gobble. It's not a squeal, though sometimes there is a high pitched squeak. It happens on different types of pads, and it's only obvious at lower speeds. If the brakes are hot, it doesn't seem to make the noise. It's never been a problem on my rear. Sanding down the pads helped at first, but after a few hard stops, the noise comes back.

Switching to SRAM Centerline rotors should fix your problem for the most part.

That sounds like it could be the problem assuming you're referring to the cut outs on the perimeter of the rotor. Strange they would design it that way if it is a problem. Perhaps it's happens after the pads get some glazing on them causing them to catch on the rotor or something. Mine still does it when it is hot.
    Are you not using the Sram Centerline rotors on your Sram equipped Emonda?

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015

That sounds like it could be the problem assuming you're referring to the cut outs on the perimeter of the rotor. Strange they would design it that way if it is a problem. Perhaps it's happens after the pads get some glazing on them causing them to catch on the rotor or something. Mine still does it when it is hot.
    Are you not using the Sram Centerline rotors on your Sram equipped Emonda?

Thanks
    The SRAM HRD pads run over the little little notches on the edge of the rotor and also the notches on the interior of the rotor where the Freeza fins have their biggest radius. I can tell just by looking at the scouring of the rotor surface from the pads.

As for not using the SRAM Centerlines. I have them and I may go back to them if I get annoyed enough. The Centerlines have their own unique issue. When they are allowed to cool down after getting really hot, they will emit loud pinging noises. I'm assuming this is from the alloy carrier contracting at a different rate vs the outer steel rotor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ceugene View Post

This sounds very much like brake pad deposits on the rotors. This is something we sometimes experience when driving cars on race tracks. When the brakes get really hot, they sometimes leave deposits on the rotors. There's no problem when the brakes are still hot (the deposits get worn off easily with subsequent braking), but after they've cooled off (like overnight), whatever deposits are still on the rotors stay there and harden. The next day, the brakes can have a nasty vibration when applied. The problem then is that to remove the vibration, you have to get the brakes hot again. But to get them hot, you have to use them hard (and suffer the vibration until they are hot). For track cars, getting brakes hot is not too hard--we just block off the cooling hoses/ducts and the brakes are hot in 2-3 laps and the vibration is gone (the deposits are burned off). Then we open the cooling ducts and have smooth braking the rest of the day. For a bike, I'm not sure what to do.

Fortunately I have not experienced this on my TCR Pro Disc (which I love, btw).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I thought you gents might enjoy hearing that not only did Roman Kreuziger ride a professional race on a bike with disc brakes yesterday, he won the thing.

Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you watch the video while Kreuziger is descending, you can hear the brakes absolutely shrieking every time he pulls the levers...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by fa63 View Post
    If you watch the video while Kreuziger is descending, you can hear the brakes absolutely shrieking every time he pulls the levers...
    Yep. I guess everything has its downside.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I wonder if he is on metallic pads, they tend to be noisy like that when they get hot. My brakes (resin pads) occasionally squeal, but it's usually for just a second and then stops. Most of the time they are quiet (other than the noise I was talking about above). In fact, on a group ride yesterday, there were several guys with rim brakes squealing away and I was making jokes about how the two of us on disc had quiet brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I wonder if he is on metallic pads, they tend to be noisy like that when they get hot. My brakes (resin pads) occasionally squeal, but it's usually for just a second and then stops. Most of the time they are quiet (other than the noise I was talking about above). In fact, on a group ride yesterday, there were several guys with rim brakes squealing away and I was making jokes about how the two of us on disc had quiet brakes.
    Not sure, but I have definitely experienced and/or heard loud rim brakes as well at times too. There's definitely pros and cons for each setup, but one of the things I think is great about discs is that it's so much cheaper to change rotors or even brakes with them than it is to replace an entire wheel or rim when something goes wrong with a rim brake surface. As the rotors and parts improve, I think it's just going to make more and more sense.

I am currently looking for my next move that I will get as an an upgrade to my Ridley. Discs are high on the wish list this time around. Whatever I end up getting needs to be something that is both crit worthy and solid for long road rides (solo, group, gran fondo, etc.). Right now, I am down to the new Propel Disc (depending on pricing and looks), the TCR Advanced again (probably disc) and the new Tarmac (SL5 if rim, probably disc if new redesigned model). My heart is saying freshly updated aero Tarmac with discs, but as much as I love the bike, I am having a hard time getting my head to buy into the $4000+ price tag. Plus, the disc versions won't even be available until early 2018. I can get everything I need in the TCR Advanced Disc for $2300 (even though I don't love the paint jobs again this year). Not in a rush since I have the Ridley which is more than fine, but I plan to try to get something done before next season starts. Back in the thought loop about what to do, lol????

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...-disc-kom-2018
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 4 Weeks Ago at 06:56 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2016
    Just bought a tcr advanced 1 disc and have to say it's great. Really fast and the disc brakes are great, but a bit noisy.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Not sure, but I have definitely experienced and/or heard loud rim brakes as well at times too. There's definitely pros and cons for each setup, but one of the things I think is great about discs is that it's so much cheaper to change rotors or even brakes with them than it is to replace an entire wheel or rim when something goes wrong with a rim brake surface. As the rotors and parts improve, I think it's just going to make more and more sense.

I am currently looking for my next move that I will get as an an upgrade to my Ridley. Discs are high on the wish list this time around. Whatever I end up getting needs to be something that is both crit worthy and solid for long road rides (solo, group, gran fondo, etc.). Right now, I am down to the new Propel Disc (depending on pricing and looks), the TCR Advanced again (probably disc) and the new Tarmac (SL5 if rim, probably disc if new redesigned model). My heart is saying freshly updated aero Tarmac with discs, but as much as I love the bike, I am having a hard time getting my head to buy into the $4000+ price tag. Plus, the disc versions won't even be available until early 2018. I can get everything I need in the TCR Advanced Disc for $2300 (even though I don't love the paint jobs again this year). Not in a rush since I have the Ridley which is more than fine, but I plan to try to get something done before next season starts. Back in the thought loop about what to do, lol????

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tc...-disc-kom-2018
    The first scattered reviews you read around it seems that the new Tarmac rides pretty much like the TCR. I'm coming from a Tarmac Sworks sl5 and now riding a TCR disc and I'm telling you it's just night and day difference,so I'm not suprised to read around what I've just said. TCR and SL6 are modern,latest trends and tweaks frames,stiff and sharp handling ( SL5 sucked pretty bad at cornering).
    I'm sure the SL6 it's a superb bike but I'm glad I went with Giant for this one,it's just the right bike for the right amount of money. These Giant carbon frames feels super solid too, I was a bit too paranoid about riding my Sworks,each and every road crack and debris hitting the down tube would give me an hearth attack..
    Last edited by Devastazione; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:20 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Thank you for your insight, it's very helpful. The TCR Disc I am looking at is like half the price of the Tarmac as well, so this helps get the head and the heart aligned. The 105 bike rode wonderfully stock during my test last year. I can't imagine how much better the experience will be will Ultegra and the wheel upgrade I have planned.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Today I've put an end to my adventure with Giant tubeless. I've set up the bike ready for the season this morning and obviously a new sealant was in need. Well,there was no way I could have thos freaking tire seal up again. Not with my big @ss air compressor,not even with the one at the tire shop. It serioulsy go to my nerve,really. Placed the tubes back,took me 2 minutes for each wheel. Never again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Today I've put an end to my adventure with Giant tubeless. I've set up the bike ready for the season this morning and obviously a new sealant was in need. Well,there was no way I could have thos freaking tire seal up again. Not with my big @ss air compressor,not even with the one at the tire shop. It serioulsy go to my nerve,really. Placed the tubes back,took me 2 minutes for each wheel. Never again.

I never even tried with the road bike, my MTB has tubeless and it has been a PITA, though probably a bit more worth the hassle to not have to deal with a flat on the trail.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2015
    I've used three different rims (Venn Rev 35, Velocite Aileron, ENVE SES 5.6 Disc) and four different tires (Schwalbe Pro One, S-Works Turbo, Bontrager R3, Zipp Tangente Speed RT.)

I've only needed to use more than a track pump once...for a particularly tight Schwalbe Pro One. I'm not even sure I needed to do that because I didn't bother lubricating the bead with a soapy solution. The soap probably would have been enough to allow the bead to move out of the center channel.

I cant imagine ever going back to tubes. I don't even carry a tube on my rides anymore. Anything that doesn't seal immediately gets sealed by a DynaPlug.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast