Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Durt View Post
    Simple question: widest tire or widest tire/rim combo you can fit on a TCR Advanced 1 Disc? ...
    This is what a 28mm GP 4000 S II looks like on the stock PR 2 wheels (17C). Granted, these tires are known to run wide and they actually measure about 30.5mm wide. Ultimately it comes down to how much you like the paint on your carbon frame. I think a safe bet is to say that majority of 28mm tires will fit. But anything above that will be a stretch.

https://imgur.com/BCnSVi7
    https://imgur.com/daCyUYO
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-dacyuyo.jpg   Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-bcnsvi7.jpg  
    Last edited by K4m1k4z3; 12-27-2017 at 12:33 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K4m1k4z3 View Post
    This is what a 28mm GP 4000 S II looks like on the stock PR 2 wheels (17C). Granted, these tires are known to run wide and they actually measure about 30.5mm wide. Ultimately it comes down to how much you like the paint on your carbon frame. I think a safe bet is to say that majority of 28mm tires will fit. But anything above that will be a stretch.
    Thank you very much, exactly what I was looking for. Disappointed but it is what it is.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I am now running the 25mm Conti GP 4000 SII on my 2017 Advanced Pro Disc, and, after seeing K4's pics, I'm glad I hesitated in getting the 28mm tires.
    "Why is there something when there could have been nothing?" Paul Tillich

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    On the plus side all the wheels on the TCRs are tubeless compatible and the 2018 models even come set up as tubeless out of the box. I think that something like a Schwalbe Pro One Tubeless 25mm should work fine for light gravel riding, especially with the ability to run lower pressures compared to tubes. But yeah, at the end of the day the TCR is a racing bike through and through.
    Last edited by K4m1k4z3; 12-28-2017 at 12:49 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by DocEndurance View Post
    I am now running the 25mm Conti GP 4000 SII on my 2017 Advanced Pro Disc, and, after seeing K4's pics, I'm glad I hesitated in getting the 28mm tires.
    How are you liking them? I have those same tires coming plus conti lite 80mm tubes. I will be adding them to 50mm carbon clincher wheels once they ship over here.

I believe we have the same bike - 2017 advanced disc? Well, mine came with heavy wheels. I had to make the change there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerIt View Post
    How are you liking them? I have those same tires coming plus conti lite 80mm tubes. I will be adding them to 50mm carbon clincher wheels once they ship over here.

I believe we have the same bike - 2017 advanced disc? Well, mine came with heavy wheels. I had to make the change there.
    I like the Contis, but it's a bit too early for me to provide a fair comparison. I had been riding the tubeless Gavia SLR tires that came stock on the TCR on the SLR 1 rims. Those I didn't like until I reduced the tire pressure to around 70 psi. That was kind of the sweet spot for my weight (165 lbs) and those tires. More psi and the ride felt harsh. In switching to the Contis and tubes, I'm now riding the TCR at 90-95 psi, and the ride is again more harsh than I expected. That said, I like how the Contis grip, especially on somewhat hilly, damp, rough roads. I bought this bike because I wanted the disc stopping power during winter riding, and the grip of the Contis coupled with the disc brakes help tremendously with that. The TCR is a race bike and a climber, so I don't expect the ride to be plush, but perhaps I'll play around with 80 to 85 psi on my next ride.

What wheels did you switch to, Hammer?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    ^ I am 160-165lbs and I am running 80f 90r 25c Conti GP4000s. That has been the sort of sweet spot I have found, though sometimes I'll run them a little lower for a slightly better ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    I like the Contis, but it's a bit too early for me to provide a fair comparison. I had been riding the tubeless Gavia SLR tires that came stock on the TCR on the SLR 1 rims. Those I didn't like until I reduced the tire pressure to around 70 psi. That was kind of the sweet spot for my weight (165 lbs) and those tires. More psi and the ride felt harsh. In switching to the Contis and tubes, I'm now riding the TCR at 90-95 psi, and the ride is again more harsh than I expected. That said, I like how the Contis grip, especially on somewhat hilly, damp, rough roads. I bought this bike because I wanted the disc stopping power during winter riding, and the grip of the Contis coupled with the disc brakes help tremendously with that. The TCR is a race bike and a climber, so I don't expect the ride to be plush, but perhaps I'll play around with 80 to 85 psi on my next ride.

What wheels did you switch to, Hammer?
    I got some chinese carbon wheels from a builder who has gotten good reviews for a few years now. They are unbranded, weight should be around 1500 grams.

I ride flat here, so all the guys use aero wheels, most are using 50mms of various types. Some unbranded, some drop the $$ on 404s. If I was descending a lot and not using discs, I probably would not have gone with these.

In terms of harshness, I have to imagine this will probably be a more plush ride than what I have on the stock bike. The tires and wheels don't seem super compliant, but to be honest, it is fine for me. I mainly switched wheels because we like to ride fast, and I want to make 25mph feel a little easier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    ^ I am 160-165lbs and I am running 80f 90r 25c Conti GP4000s. That has been the sort of sweet spot I have found, though sometimes I'll run them a little lower for a slightly better ride.

Thx, Mo. Soon as I get over this blasted cold, I'll get back in the saddle and try a few different pressures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerIt View Post
    I mainly switched wheels because we like to ride fast, and I want to make 25mph feel a little easier.
    Good weight for disc wheels. I've always thought that the TCR accelerated very well. Those new wheels should really make it jump ahead!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Good weight for disc wheels. I've always thought that the TCR accelerated very well. Those new wheels should really make it jump ahead!
    Yes thats what I fully expect. I'd like to be able to sustain speeds at ~25mph a little easier too. Basically even the odds with my group riding Carbon frames and carbon aero wheels. It's pretty much the gold standard for speed here in the Florida flats.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by K4m1k4z3 View Post

Are you still running these tires? Any complications with road debris, etc?

I just finished building my TCR Disc Adv Pro, and purchased a set of DT Swiss R24 Disc wheels that came with new 28mm 4000S IIs but I'm a little leary about running them. There's plenty of width, but as your picture shows, it's the height of the tire that's the issue. I'm currently running some 28mm 4 Seasons because I had a spare set from a previous bike, and those only come out to 27mm wide at 80psi. Plenty of space, but I put a 2mm hole in it from some road debris on the TCR's first outing today.

I must say, I'm quite surprised with this bike even with the aluminum wheels on it. I can only imagine it getting better once I can save up for some 5.6s. I came from a 2016 Propel Adv SL so I had high hopes for this bike, and I'm very pleased so far. I've been off the bike for a month, and still recovering from the flu but every thing about the bike feels great so far.

I haven't weighed it yet, but it feels the same or a tad heavier than the Propel in its current state, but I didn't notice it whilst climbing. And of course, the best part of every climb is the descent, and...well this thing handles like it's on rails. It was foggy and very misty out (condensation was forming on the frame while descending) but I had all the confidence plus more. With the eTap HRD brakes I found myself braking later, and with only one finger I might add, into the corners.

TCR disc by Carl Castillo, on Flickr

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2017
    For anyone interested in 28mm 4 seasons be aware of the manufacturing date. My year old 4 seasons measured out to 27mm wide on a 18mm internal rim at 80psi. I had to purchase a replacement due to a puncture and the new tire I received measures out to 31mm wide on the same wheel and psi. Seems like Conti listened to people complaining about the 4 seasons running small.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789