Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?

94K views 212 replies 37 participants last post by  skyline4me 
#1 ·
They have them in my local Giant shop - going to try an set up a test ride - anyone riding one yet?
Was interested in the Pro - but the advanced @ 2300 CAD is very interesting - seems like the sweet spot of the range.

#2 ·
Just this. The team at the local shop race on TCRs, but they haven't got their new bikes yet, so no reports. I was able to see an Advanced Pro Disc there and pick it up, but it was a 54/M and I ride a Small/52, so I didn't even try to take it out. It looks cool though.

New Giant TCR Disc launched - First Ride - Cycling Weekly

#3 ·
Just this. The team at the local shop race on TCRs, but they haven't got their new bikes yet, so no reports. I was able to see an Advanced Pro Disc there and pick it up, but it was a 54/M and I ride a Small/52, so I didn't even try to take it out. It looks cool though.

New Giant TCR Disc launched - First Ride - Cycling Weekly
not a racer myself - just looking for a new ride and something more aggressive than ,y defy which is my first road bike that I have ridden for the last 4 seasons. No complaints at all with the defy - I have the stem slammed and think the tcr may be the ticket. I tried th adv pro this summer and liked it but wasn't floored compared to my defy for the amount of coin to pick it up.
Now the tcr advanced disc for 2300 CAD looks to good to be true on paper:
ultegra
disc brakes
carbon hoops setup tubeless already

i don't know what the bike weighs in at - I ride a small - but I don't think it will be a factor for me.
Upgrading to the adv pro for double the price isn't as attractive since it seems to be the same frame and wheels and just added a carbon steerer and di2 and I believe an upgraded brake kit. Am I missing something?

#5 · (Edited)
I have an Advanced Pro coming in about a week (hopefully) which I am custom building up from the Frameset offering. I have done a 50+ mile demo ride on one as well. I can't comment too much on ride/handling because I am coming from a 14 TCR Advanced SL with Sram Red and all the "trimmings" so it is a bit of a lateral move (maybe even a frame and some component downgrade) so my biggest takeaway from the demo was the disc brakes and the Ui2 shifting. That said, I've love my TCR and think the handling is amazing, particularly for descending and this bike was pretty much the same. I thought the new one was little harsher ride than my current TCR, but mine has the ISP, different wheels/tires, carbon bars and stem, etc., so hard to know where the difference came from. Needless to say I liked it enough to buy it, but mine won't be stock.

At the demo, we weighed a M/L and it was 17lbs without pedals. I am expecting my small to be 16-16.5lbs with pedals (my 14 TCR is 15lbs size medium and sram red, and carbon components).
My LBS had a medium Advanced and I thought they said it was 18lbs, but didn't witness the weigh in. It's definitely a great deal.

Upgrading to the adv pro for double the price isn't as attractive since it seems to be the same frame and wheels and just added a carbon steerer and di2 and I believe an upgraded brake kit. Am I missing something?
The bars, stem, and wheels are also "upgraded", but it is questionable how much of an upgrade it really is. The big price difference in cost is the di2, and I will say I was blown away by it after the 50 mile demo, I had previously only briefly played with di2 riding around in a parking lot.

#7 ·
Cool vid - thanks.
Stopped in by the store today and clarified that the bike in question - the Adv come with aluminium wheels - not carbon as I had assumed.

While I sit around playing the options in my head (and as I did on a long ride this aft) I am pondering the following:

Buy the damn bike and eventually upgrade the wheels as needed over time - I don't think I am in a rush for that. I weigh 190 pounds - a couple of extra pounds on a bike won't hurt too much - and I am dropping weight still.

I am also looking at the SL models with he ISP and wondering how much marketing hype is involved with these - I have not ridden one yet. Supposedly more comfortable - and I do like to go out for full day rides - Also a higher spec carbon on those models.

To further complicate things - they had a propel in stock today for someone who was coming to pick it up - I had always wanted to try one but they never had one in my size. Today was my chance- even though it was just in the lot behind the store... Felt nice for the brief moment I was on it - this was a 2016 SL 1. I am wondering if the TCR is close enough to my Defy in terms of the type of bis it is - that maybe - just maybe - the propel is a better move. Keeping the Defy for the very long ride days and the Propel for more of the speedier type rides...? Just mulling over options and no doubt over thinking this.
Crazy how much thought I am putting into it - but for the amount of cash invested and especially for the amount of time I spend on my bike I want to minimize the post purchase second guessing ....

#8 ·
It's normal, you are a cyclist, this is what we do. In my opinion, the TCR is special, the Propel is cool, but not as great an overall bike. I would get a tricked out TCR or get a more affordable model and trick it out over time, but all of your options are legitimate ones IMHO.

#10 ·
I've been riding the Advanced Pro Disc for about a month now, size small. It definitely handles well and is very stable. Position is definitely racy. With Dura Ace pedals it's 17.5lbs, so kinda hefty actually. The carbon wheels are not very light unfortunately, but they do come already set up tubeless. It's a beautiful paint job and the orange is like a blaze orange when you see it in person. I could probably lose some weight with a crank and cockpit upgrade.

#11 ·
I saw one last time I was at the shop and it was a nice looking bike. Bright, but nice looking. You probably would see more of a weight difference by switching to a Dura Ace crankset, DA rear derailleur, and mechanical DA components more than anything. I don't think I could bring myself to give up the Di2 if I already had it personally, it's probably not worth it just to save a few grams. I think Giant makes a lighter set of wheels as well, but it may only save another 1/4 lb (100 grams or so).

#13 ·
I've got the SL0 arriving in about 4 weeks so looking forward to it after ordering it about 8 weeks ago. Missed the initial shipment of 4 bikes that all went to Australia but got the first bike to come to New Zealand. Already have the Red Quarq with the new graphics ready to go into it and hoping to get a few shots of the build ( with scale pics to ) so everyone knows what these things weigh in at....
I already have a '12 SL1 and still very happy with that and such a great decending and responsive bike, and so I had no qualms in putting down the deposit for the SL0... been waiting 2 years for this bike and my partner loves the neon orange... such a safe bright colour she says!! LOL... I call it Strava orange for the obvious reasons..:wink:

#15 · (Edited)
I went by the shop today to get my final test rides in before making my final choice. While there, I finally got to test a TCR Advanced Disc. It was XS, a size too small for me since I ride a small normally, but that was close enough to get a feel during a test ride. I actually love this bike. The paint scheme is much better in person (which tends to be the case with Giant and Specialized bikes, they just don't look as good in photos or video IMO). The TCR Disc is as snappy as any race bike I have ridden to be honest, I literally couldn't feel the added weight from the discs. Great acceleration and responsiveness was my favorite part of the experience. It was definitely superior to the new Specialized Roubaix in that category (which is no surprise). It's obviously not as comfortable, but it's really not a slouch in that department, it's very smooth and it's not like I am riding Paris Roubaix every day. I wish I could ride the new Scott Addict Disc before making up my mind, but those won't likely hit shops before December. My guess is that it wouldn't be any better than the TCR Advanced Disc though and the TCR is cheaper at every price point. I am pretty much sold even though it lacks the novelty and "new tech" found in the Roubaix. It's strictly business, but so much fun to ride.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

#196 ·
I went by the shop today to get my final test rides in before making my final choice. While there, I finally got to test a TCR Advanced Disc. It was XS, a size too small for me since I ride a small normally, but that was close enough to get a feel during a test ride. I actually love this bike. The paint scheme is much better in person (which tends to be the case with Giant and Specialized bikes, they just don't look as good in photos or video IMO). The TCR Disc is as snappy as any race bike I have ridden to be honest, I literally couldn't feel the added weight from the discs. Great acceleration and responsiveness was my favorite part of the experience. It was definitely superior to the new Specialized Roubaix in that category (which is no surprise). It's obviously not as comfortable, but it's really not a slouch in that department, it's very smooth and it's not like I am riding Paris Roubaix every day. I wish I could ride the new Scott Addict Disc before making up my mind, but those won't likely hit shops before December. My guess is that it wouldn't be any better than the TCR Advanced Disc though and the TCR is cheaper at every price point. I am pretty much sold even though it lacks the novelty and "new tech" found in the Roubaix. It's strictly business, but so much fun to ride.

View attachment 316297
I got this same bike in a Small and I am really enjoying it so far. Love the color of the frame. I started thinking about Kit options - I find that all black looks really good with it. Also, maybe I can find some blue socks that match the color of the Giant logo.

In terms of the bike, I am riding it stock. It is a bit heavy, at just under 19 pounds right now. I'd like to get it to 17 if possible. Curious what upgrades you all have put on yours. I am thinking carbon wheels will save at least 1 pound, but I am open to reading any suggestions.

#16 ·
My shop has the same bike in-but not my size so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
I completely agree with you about the colour in person versus online-and Giant's paint in general not looking nearly as nice and photographs as it does in person.
I was hesitating between this one and the one with DI2, carbon wheels and the carbon steerer.

I also have the option to pick up a 2016 propel advanced pro one at a good price on closeout or a 2016 TCR SL 2. In which case I would just ask them to swap out the wheels for the deeper aero wheels. I ride a small just like you-did you have a chance to weigh the bike?
If going with the 2017 disc I would opt for this one or the one with the guy I would opt for this one or the one with the di2...

Any thoughts on the 2016 TCR sl2 ?
I can't try out the SL since it would need to be cut for me and that's obviously out of the question.
I wonder if the advertising Hyper regarding the lighter and " more compliant" ISP is really worth it? I also can't try out the proposal because it's at a shop that is a 10 hour round-trip-so if I were to buy that I basically just drive down try it out get fitted and come back Home with it.

I don't race- and typically run 3 to 400 km a week and almost always ride solo. I wonder if there are any real gains to be made in the aero frame of the Pro pal or if writing the TCR with deeper wheels would bring it close enough?
Too many options-went for 100 K ride today and this is what plagued me the whole time.

#17 · (Edited)
I didn't weigh it, but it felt good. I would guess high 16+lbs to low 17+lbs stock. If it's not going to break the bank for you, I recommend getting the Advanced Pro 1 with Di2. It's ready to rock right out of the box, no upgrades needed. If you want a lower entry point and plan to upgrade over time while riding, the Advanced I tested today is a great value in my opinion. I want to eventually add some Zipp 303s and Di2, but the Advanced is very nice starting place for me. The only other thing I am considering at this point is the Advanced Pro frameset. I like the colors a little better, it's a tad lighter, and I plan to upgrade wheels and components anyway... All of that might be overshadowed by the fact that I can still do all of that with the Advanced, but be riding a fun and fast stock bike while I am stockpiling upgrades.

#20 · (Edited)
@Fasterstronger, I thought of another option today you might be interested in. You could probably build the TCR Advanced Pro Disc frameset up with Giant SL1 Alloy wheels and a mechanical Ultegra level groupset for about $1000 less than the orange and black Di2 complete bike, especially if you are a good ebay and closeout deal shopper. It should come in around $3500. If you were seriously considering buying the entry level Advanced 1, you are probably comfortable with the idea that you were going to end up with alloy wheels to start anyway and at least these ones are tubeless compatible. It's another option that lines up between the other two that has some merit to it in my opinion, but it still leaves you probably wanting to upgrade wheels down the road at some point.

Personally, I am still leaning toward the Advanced 1 (it's at least $1200 less than the next closest option and rides just fine/great as is), but I go back and forth about the paint scheme. I like the look of the Pro frameset more and more each time I look at it, but I am not convinced it's worth the extra dinero or that I want to be patient while I start another complete build from a frameset.

I am also digging the metallic blue and orange SL Disc frameset now, but I don't think I feel like dealing with the integrated seatmast and the price to build it up is significantly more than I planned to spend (plus it doesn't seem like it adds much value performance wise). By the time you build it up with mechanical components, it's a little less than the Di2 equipped Pro level bike with alloy wheels and a little more with the SL1 Carbon wheels and the only thing you would gain is an integrated seatmast, so why do it unless the seatmast means a bunch to you? It really doesn't to me (unless I am missing something), but it's probably the look I like best.

At the end of the day, I keep coming back to a place where I just have to face how good a value the Advanced 1 Disc and Advanced Pro 1 Disc complete bikes are, all things considered. If I felt like I had to have an SL, I would probably build from the SL Disc Frameset, because you could still come away with a really nice top of the line complete bike for $4800 or so. The eTap equipped disc bike is over $7000 and really wouldn't ride much better than what you could build for about $2500 less. There are a lot of options, but I am starting to feel pretty good about just going with an Advanced 1 Disc. All you need to do is add a set of Shimano RS685 shifters and a nicer wheelset to that bike down the road and it's pretty much superb. You get to ride a great stock bike while you are working on that too. If I don't do that, I will probably go with the Pro Advanced 1 Disc with Di2 or a mechanical build from a Advanced SL Disc frameset. I kind of doubt I will go with either of the last two options though. Anyway, I thought I would share a couple of things I have been thinking about since it sounds like you are still weighing options....

#26 ·
Rashad,
In my opinion the complete bikes are a great value and where my interest lies at the moment. I think if I buy in to the lower end one I will regret having to purchase upgrades later on and have a set of wheels that will be collecting dust for nothing. I think the move for me is to buy once and be done with it.
I currently have a 2012 defy advanced 3 that has served me really well and has a lot of miles left in it - and I would like my next bike to be considerably better.
i bought my current bike as my first road bike and didn't want to spend more than I did because I didn't know where this hobby would go.
4 years later it has become a great obsession and I am averaging 7-8000 km a year and loving it - so I think having a lighter bike with discs and di2 would be a very enjoyable next step. Only thing left would be a power meter and I would probably go with a stages again as mine has been great and training with power has been very useful for me.
i just think that I need to scratch the aero itch at some point too and being that I am turning 47 shortly I think sooner rather than later would be a strong argument.
any thoughts about adding the slr aero wheels to a defy frame?

#27 ·
It sounds like you are getting some clarity as well and what you are saying makes sense to me. I am 42, so I definitely get it. I think you have a number of options in addition to the Giant SL wheels if aero is your main objective. FWIW, a number of people argue that aero frames are more hype than substance in many cases, but I will leave it to you to evaluate the pros and cons and determine if it is worth it. I would focus on the TCR if I was really trying to get aero and wanted the benefits of an all around race bike (trying to get super aero on an endurance bike seems counterproductive to me) and I would also consider going with something like the 2016 Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc, Roval CLX 32, Bontrager Aeolus 5 TLR Disc, etc. The aero Giant wheels are more affordable, but pretty narrow by comparison. Bikes like the Giant TCR and new Cannondale Supersix Evo have narrow tube shapes, so you can come away with a fairly aero profile if you add aero wheels and cleanup the cockpit a bit. It's more than aero enough for most people and if you get your fit dialed in and setup where you can spend more time in the drops and a tuck, you will come away with the most significant aero gains anyway.

I think I agree at this point that the complete bike is the way to go unless you are set on getting an SL (I think the frameset is a better value there) or if you already have some components and just need the frame or can't live with the limited color options they have for complete bikes.

#28 ·
MoPho - good feedback regarding the ISP. Thanks.

Rashad - I am looking over the 2 models and in CAD the pro is aprox. 5400 and the advanced is 2700. So for double the price I am seeing the differences as being:

Carbon wheels vs the Alum on the adv

Hybrid alloy steerer vs Carbon OD2 on the pro.
I know this affects weight but what about stiffens and responsiveness as well as dampening?

DI2 being the obvious one on the pro vs Mech Ultra - but I feel like I can forgo this aspect - would be nice - but not a deal breaker for me.

Chain rings ont he pro are 52/36 vs 50/34 on the adv - I assume I could swap those out - although I am not really a strong climber and probably wouldn't need to.

I think that about covers it.
Curious to hear your thoughts regarding the alloy steerer vs the OD2 carbon. Is this something that can be upgraded later on if I so choose...?

My defy has the stem on a neg rise and slammed down to no spacers. Since my legs won't be getting longer any time soon - it is unlikely that a seat raise is in my future- the next step would be to ride something with a lower head tube -hence the TCR.
Add some aero wheels and work on my fit and I think this is the next move for me...
I imagine it will feel a little twitchy compared to my Defy but I am pretty sure I could get used to it. Especially with some wider tires for going into turns at higher speeds.
Great sounding off these ideas here with you all - something about taking the time to write out your thoughts helps to clarify things.

#29 ·
I think you pretty much have it. I don't know how the hybrid steerer and OD2 compare since I haven't ridden an OD2 bike, but I didn't feel any downside to the hybrid steerer on the Advanced 1 bike. It felt plenty stiff and comfortable. I'm pretty sure it's not something you can change after purchase. The Advanced 1 is plenty bike for most serious cyclists in my opinion. You add a wheel upgrade, better rotors, and new shifters and it's a really nice bike. That being said, there is some real value packed into the Advanced Pro Disc bike. My guess is that you get a bike that has the same ride quality and some of the same features as the top of line Advanced SL Disc complete bike, but it's almost $3000 less.

#32 ·
I know!!!! My wife is encouraging me to go for it, but it just happens to be her alma mater's colors (UVA), so there's a bit of bias there. :p Going that direction would mean having to downgrade in other departments though. I still might just do it (peer pressure is a beast, lol).

#35 ·
So what is the difference between going this route vs buying the complete bike?

You need a groupset wheels saddle and bars/stem. How does that affect cost? Obviously you can get the colour you prefer - as well can cherry pick the exact components you want.
What about warranty for the frame - same as buying a complete bike?
Beautiful frame btw.

#36 · (Edited)
Warranty is the same. It usually ends up costing a bit more, but, like you said, you get to customize. I would try to piece together a mechanical hydraulic group (probably Ultegra built around RS685 shifters and brakes or Sram Red/Force/Rival 22 HRD) for $600-$800 via ebay and closeout sales. It's fairly easy to find good deals online/ebay for high quality alloy handlebars and stems ($40-$80 a piece), so I would do that. I already have some stuff lying around the house, so I wouldn't have to start completely from scratch, but I would need a lot. I don't compromise on saddles, so I would buy a new saddle (probably a new Giant one or a Specialized Power) since I sold my Toupe (which wouldn't match this bike anyway). Where I would probably have to make a major sacrifice to begin with would be wheels. The Zipp 303 Firecrest DB wheels I had hoped for would not fit in this build budget (not even close), so I would look at something like the Fulcrum Racing Quattro Carbon DB wheels that can be found for a good deal online, the lower level Giant SL Carbon wheels, Yoeleo DB wheels, or maybe even a nice solid affordable alloy set that I can run tubeless just to get me started (like Giant's SL Alloy or Zipp's 30 Course DB Clincher). If I went that route, I would just plan to upgrade wheels next season or something like that.

#39 ·
MoPho - As to the aero bits question, here's my take, unless you are getting your paycheck from winning races or are amateur racing at the sharp end of the stick, marginal gains spending to improve speed is kind of silly. If you are recreational riding, you are racing against yourself to push your fitness, so "buying speed" isn't helping your fitness. Now what does improve your fitness? Riding your bike and if you are really excited by your bike, you will ride it more. So to me, if aero wheels/bike/parts or spending big money on a bike, etc., gets you that rise, go for it!
To me the look of the bike is one of the most, if not the most, important factors (and aero wheels look kick ass ).

We laugh about this all the time.
I love my bike and love the look of 30-40mm wheels.

#42 · (Edited)
I decided last night that I am going with the Advanced Pro frameset. I really like the look of the TCR Advanced SL Disc frameset most, but I don't want to deal with the ISP and I decided I'm not willing to pay $900+ dollars for a paint job when I like the look of the Advanced Pro Disc frameset almost as much. I also realized I don't really want the paint scheme on the Advanced 1 Disc complete bike. I am leaning heavy toward going with the Giant SLR1 30mm wheels due to value, but I still kind of want to spring for the Zipp 303 Firecrest Disc wheels or Specialized Roval CLX 32s, but they are expensive and I not sure they are worth it (I got excited about the Zipp wheels while watching the GCN Sram Red eTap Hydro video linked above and the Specialized CLX 32s while watching a review for the new Roubaix). Components will likely be Sram Force 22 Hydro or a mechanical Dura Ace/Ultegra mix built around Shimano RS685 shifters and Ice-Tech rotors. Saddle will be Specialized Power Expert. Handlebars and stem will likely be Zipp Service Course or something like that (they are one of the few brands that make an OD2 stem). Tires will be tubeless 26mm Specialized S-Works Turbo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.