Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 150
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    234

    Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?

    They have them in my local Giant shop - going to try an set up a test ride - anyone riding one yet?
    Was interested in the Pro - but the advanced @ 2300 CAD is very interesting - seems like the sweet spot of the range.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    They have them in my local Giant shop - going to try an set up a test ride - anyone riding one yet?
    Was interested in the Pro - but the advanced @ 2300 CAD is very interesting - seems like the sweet spot of the range.
    Just this. The team at the local shop race on TCRs, but they haven't got their new bikes yet, so no reports. I was able to see an Advanced Pro Disc there and pick it up, but it was a 54/M and I ride a Small/52, so I didn't even try to take it out. It looks cool though.

    New Giant TCR Disc launched - First Ride - Cycling Weekly
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    234
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Just this. The team at the local shop race on TCRs, but they haven't got their new bikes yet, so no reports. I was able to see an Advanced Pro Disc there and pick it up, but it was a 54/M and I ride a Small/52, so I didn't even try to take it out. It looks cool though.

    New Giant TCR Disc launched - First Ride - Cycling Weekly
    not a racer myself - just looking for a new ride and something more aggressive than ,y defy which is my first road bike that I have ridden for the last 4 seasons. No complaints at all with the defy - I have the stem slammed and think the tcr may be the ticket. I tried th adv pro this summer and liked it but wasn't floored compared to my defy for the amount of coin to pick it up.
    Now the tcr advanced disc for 2300 CAD looks to good to be true on paper:
    ultegra
    disc brakes
    carbon hoops setup tubeless already

    i don't know what the bike weighs in at - I ride a small - but I don't think it will be a factor for me.
    Upgrading to the adv pro for double the price isn't as attractive since it seems to be the same frame and wheels and just added a carbon steerer and di2 and I believe an upgraded brake kit. Am I missing something?

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    not a racer myself - just looking for a new ride and something more aggressive than ,y defy which is my first road bike that I have ridden for the last 4 seasons. No complaints at all with the defy - I have the stem slammed and think the tcr may be the ticket. I tried th adv pro this summer and liked it but wasn't floored compared to my defy for the amount of coin to pick it up.
    Now the tcr advanced disc for 2300 CAD looks to good to be true on paper:
    ultegra
    disc brakes
    carbon hoops setup tubeless already

    i don't know what the bike weighs in at - I ride a small - but I don't think it will be a factor for me.
    Upgrading to the adv pro for double the price isn't as attractive since it seems to be the same frame and wheels and just added a carbon steerer and di2 and I believe an upgraded brake kit. Am I missing something?
    Nope, the TCR Advanced level bikes are some of the best values in the marketplace.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 09-14-2016 at 04:31 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,405
    I have an Advanced Pro coming in about a week (hopefully) which I am custom building up from the Frameset offering. I have done a 50+ mile demo ride on one as well. I can't comment too much on ride/handling because I am coming from a 14 TCR Advanced SL with Sram Red and all the "trimmings" so it is a bit of a lateral move (maybe even a frame and some component downgrade) so my biggest takeaway from the demo was the disc brakes and the Ui2 shifting. That said, I've love my TCR and think the handling is amazing, particularly for descending and this bike was pretty much the same. I thought the new one was little harsher ride than my current TCR, but mine has the ISP, different wheels/tires, carbon bars and stem, etc., so hard to know where the difference came from. Needless to say I liked it enough to buy it, but mine won't be stock.

    At the demo, we weighed a M/L and it was 17lbs without pedals. I am expecting my small to be 16-16.5lbs with pedals (my 14 TCR is 15lbs size medium and sram red, and carbon components).
    My LBS had a medium Advanced and I thought they said it was 18lbs, but didn't witness the weigh in. It's definitely a great deal.


    Upgrading to the adv pro for double the price isn't as attractive since it seems to be the same frame and wheels and just added a carbon steerer and di2 and I believe an upgraded brake kit. Am I missing something?
    The bars, stem, and wheels are also "upgraded", but it is questionable how much of an upgrade it really is. The big price difference in cost is the di2, and I will say I was blown away by it after the 50 mile demo, I had previously only briefly played with di2 riding around in a parking lot.

    .
    Last edited by MoPho; 09-14-2016 at 01:15 PM.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    A TCR Advanced SL Disc live and in the wild:

    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    234
    Cool vid - thanks.
    Stopped in by the store today and clarified that the bike in question - the Adv come with aluminium wheels - not carbon as I had assumed.

    While I sit around playing the options in my head (and as I did on a long ride this aft) I am pondering the following:

    Buy the damn bike and eventually upgrade the wheels as needed over time - I don't think I am in a rush for that. I weigh 190 pounds - a couple of extra pounds on a bike won't hurt too much - and I am dropping weight still.

    I am also looking at the SL models with he ISP and wondering how much marketing hype is involved with these - I have not ridden one yet. Supposedly more comfortable - and I do like to go out for full day rides - Also a higher spec carbon on those models.

    To further complicate things - they had a propel in stock today for someone who was coming to pick it up - I had always wanted to try one but they never had one in my size. Today was my chance- even though it was just in the lot behind the store... Felt nice for the brief moment I was on it - this was a 2016 SL 1. I am wondering if the TCR is close enough to my Defy in terms of the type of bis it is - that maybe - just maybe - the propel is a better move. Keeping the Defy for the very long ride days and the Propel for more of the speedier type rides...? Just mulling over options and no doubt over thinking this.
    Crazy how much thought I am putting into it - but for the amount of cash invested and especially for the amount of time I spend on my bike I want to minimize the post purchase second guessing ....

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    Cool vid - thanks.
    Stopped in by the store today and clarified that the bike in question - the Adv come with aluminium wheels - not carbon as I had assumed.

    While I sit around playing the options in my head (and as I did on a long ride this aft) I am pondering the following:

    Buy the damn bike and eventually upgrade the wheels as needed over time - I don't think I am in a rush for that. I weigh 190 pounds - a couple of extra pounds on a bike won't hurt too much - and I am dropping weight still.

    I am also looking at the SL models with he ISP and wondering how much marketing hype is involved with these - I have not ridden one yet. Supposedly more comfortable - and I do like to go out for full day rides - Also a higher spec carbon on those models.

    To further complicate things - they had a propel in stock today for someone who was coming to pick it up - I had always wanted to try one but they never had one in my size. Today was my chance- even though it was just in the lot behind the store... Felt nice for the brief moment I was on it - this was a 2016 SL 1. I am wondering if the TCR is close enough to my Defy in terms of the type of bis it is - that maybe - just maybe - the propel is a better move. Keeping the Defy for the very long ride days and the Propel for more of the speedier type rides...? Just mulling over options and no doubt over thinking this.
    Crazy how much thought I am putting into it - but for the amount of cash invested and especially for the amount of time I spend on my bike I want to minimize the post purchase second guessing ....
    It's normal, you are a cyclist, this is what we do. In my opinion, the TCR is special, the Propel is cool, but not as great an overall bike. I would get a tricked out TCR or get a more affordable model and trick it out over time, but all of your options are legitimate ones IMHO.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by FasterStronger View Post
    Cool vid - thanks.
    Stopped in by the store today and clarified that the bike in question - the Adv come with aluminium wheels - not carbon as I had assumed.

    While I sit around playing the options in my head (and as I did on a long ride this aft) I am pondering the following:

    Buy the damn bike and eventually upgrade the wheels as needed over time - I don't think I am in a rush for that. I weigh 190 pounds - a couple of extra pounds on a bike won't hurt too much - and I am dropping weight still.

    I am also looking at the SL models with he ISP and wondering how much marketing hype is involved with these - I have not ridden one yet. Supposedly more comfortable - and I do like to go out for full day rides - Also a higher spec carbon on those models.

    To further complicate things - they had a propel in stock today for someone who was coming to pick it up - I had always wanted to try one but they never had one in my size. Today was my chance- even though it was just in the lot behind the store... Felt nice for the brief moment I was on it - this was a 2016 SL 1. I am wondering if the TCR is close enough to my Defy in terms of the type of bis it is - that maybe - just maybe - the propel is a better move. Keeping the Defy for the very long ride days and the Propel for more of the speedier type rides...? Just mulling over options and no doubt over thinking this.
    Crazy how much thought I am putting into it - but for the amount of cash invested and especially for the amount of time I spend on my bike I want to minimize the post purchase second guessing ....

    I have an SL, can't say the ISP makes a difference or not. the frame is definitely lighter and it looks great, but I don't think I would buy an ISP again as I am potentially about to get bit in the ass with the resale of my current bike because of it. I think the tires and air pressure will make a bigger difference than the ISP


    .

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    341
    I've been riding the Advanced Pro Disc for about a month now, size small. It definitely handles well and is very stable. Position is definitely racy. With Dura Ace pedals it's 17.5lbs, so kinda hefty actually. The carbon wheels are not very light unfortunately, but they do come already set up tubeless. It's a beautiful paint job and the orange is like a blaze orange when you see it in person. I could probably lose some weight with a crank and cockpit upgrade.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by trauma-md View Post
    I've been riding the Advanced Pro Disc for about a month now, size small. It definitely handles well and is very stable. Position is definitely racy. With Dura Ace pedals it's 17.5lbs, so kinda hefty actually. The carbon wheels are not very light unfortunately, but they do come already set up tubeless. It's a beautiful paint job and the orange is like a blaze orange when you see it in person. I could probably lose some weight with a crank and cockpit upgrade.
    I saw one last time I was at the shop and it was a nice looking bike. Bright, but nice looking. You probably would see more of a weight difference by switching to a Dura Ace crankset, DA rear derailleur, and mechanical DA components more than anything. I don't think I could bring myself to give up the Di2 if I already had it personally, it's probably not worth it just to save a few grams. I think Giant makes a lighter set of wheels as well, but it may only save another 1/4 lb (100 grams or so).
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    234
    I tried out a 2016 TCR advanced pro 1 in a small this summer and with no pedals or bottle cages came in at 16 pounds even.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    28
    I've got the SL0 arriving in about 4 weeks so looking forward to it after ordering it about 8 weeks ago. Missed the initial shipment of 4 bikes that all went to Australia but got the first bike to come to New Zealand. Already have the Red Quarq with the new graphics ready to go into it and hoping to get a few shots of the build ( with scale pics to ) so everyone knows what these things weigh in at....
    I already have a '12 SL1 and still very happy with that and such a great decending and responsive bike, and so I had no qualms in putting down the deposit for the SL0... been waiting 2 years for this bike and my partner loves the neon orange... such a safe bright colour she says!! LOL... I call it Strava orange for the obvious reasons..

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Nice, I look forward to seeing it.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    I went by the shop today to get my final test rides in before making my final choice. While there, I finally got to test a TCR Advanced Disc. It was XS, a size too small for me since I ride a small normally, but that was close enough to get a feel during a test ride. I actually love this bike. The paint scheme is much better in person (which tends to be the case with Giant and Specialized bikes, they just don't look as good in photos or video IMO). The TCR Disc is as snappy as any race bike I have ridden to be honest, I literally couldn't feel the added weight from the discs. Great acceleration and responsiveness was my favorite part of the experience. It was definitely superior to the new Specialized Roubaix in that category (which is no surprise). It's obviously not as comfortable, but it's really not a slouch in that department, it's very smooth and it's not like I am riding Paris Roubaix every day. I wish I could ride the new Scott Addict Disc before making up my mind, but those won't likely hit shops before December. My guess is that it wouldn't be any better than the TCR Advanced Disc though and the TCR is cheaper at every price point. I am pretty much sold even though it lacks the novelty and "new tech" found in the Roubaix. It's strictly business, but so much fun to ride.

    Anyone riding the 2017 TCR disc?-img_1322.jpg
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 09-24-2016 at 02:54 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    234
    My shop has the same bike in-but not my size so I haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    I completely agree with you about the colour in person versus online-and Giant's paint in general not looking nearly as nice and photographs as it does in person.
    I was hesitating between this one and the one with DI2, carbon wheels and the carbon steerer.

    I also have the option to pick up a 2016 propel advanced pro one at a good price on closeout or a 2016 TCR SL 2. In which case I would just ask them to swap out the wheels for the deeper aero wheels. I ride a small just like you-did you have a chance to weigh the bike?
    If going with the 2017 disc I would opt for this one or the one with the guy I would opt for this one or the one with the di2...


    Any thoughts on the 2016 TCR sl2 ?
    I can't try out the SL since it would need to be cut for me and that's obviously out of the question.
    I wonder if the advertising Hyper regarding the lighter and " more compliant" ISP is really worth it? I also can't try out the proposal because it's at a shop that is a 10 hour round-trip-so if I were to buy that I basically just drive down try it out get fitted and come back Home with it.



    I don't race- and typically run 3 to 400 km a week and almost always ride solo. I wonder if there are any real gains to be made in the aero frame of the Pro pal or if writing the TCR with deeper wheels would bring it close enough?
    Too many options-went for 100 K ride today and this is what plagued me the whole time.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    I didn't weigh it, but it felt good. I would guess high 16+lbs to low 17+lbs stock. If it's not going to break the bank for you, I recommend getting the Advanced Pro 1 with Di2. It's ready to rock right out of the box, no upgrades needed. If you want a lower entry point and plan to upgrade over time while riding, the Advanced I tested today is a great value in my opinion. I want to eventually add some Zipp 303s and Di2, but the Advanced is very nice starting place for me. The only other thing I am considering at this point is the Advanced Pro frameset. I like the colors a little better, it's a tad lighter, and I plan to upgrade wheels and components anyway... All of that might be overshadowed by the fact that I can still do all of that with the Advanced, but be riding a fun and fast stock bike while I am stockpiling upgrades.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 09-25-2016 at 02:29 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Oh and I think you will be disappointed if you get one of those other bikes and then test ride a TCR Advanced Disc after. It felt that good to me. Loved it.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: threebikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    331
    2019's will have abs
    Last edited by threebikes; 09-25-2016 at 03:47 PM.
    Giant TCR

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    @Fasterstronger, I thought of another option today you might be interested in. You could probably build the TCR Advanced Pro Disc frameset up with Giant SL1 Alloy wheels and a mechanical Ultegra level groupset for about $1000 less than the orange and black Di2 complete bike, especially if you are a good ebay and closeout deal shopper. It should come in around $3500. If you were seriously considering buying the entry level Advanced 1, you are probably comfortable with the idea that you were going to end up with alloy wheels to start anyway and at least these ones are tubeless compatible. It's another option that lines up between the other two that has some merit to it in my opinion, but it still leaves you probably wanting to upgrade wheels down the road at some point.

    Personally, I am still leaning toward the Advanced 1 (it's at least $1200 less than the next closest option and rides just fine/great as is), but I go back and forth about the paint scheme. I like the look of the Pro frameset more and more each time I look at it, but I am not convinced it's worth the extra dinero or that I want to be patient while I start another complete build from a frameset.

    I am also digging the metallic blue and orange SL Disc frameset now, but I don't think I feel like dealing with the integrated seatmast and the price to build it up is significantly more than I planned to spend (plus it doesn't seem like it adds much value performance wise). By the time you build it up with mechanical components, it's a little less than the Di2 equipped Pro level bike with alloy wheels and a little more with the SL1 Carbon wheels and the only thing you would gain is an integrated seatmast, so why do it unless the seatmast means a bunch to you? It really doesn't to me (unless I am missing something), but it's probably the look I like best.

    At the end of the day, I keep coming back to a place where I just have to face how good a value the Advanced 1 Disc and Advanced Pro 1 Disc complete bikes are, all things considered. If I felt like I had to have an SL, I would probably build from the SL Disc Frameset, because you could still come away with a really nice top of the line complete bike for $4800 or so. The eTap equipped disc bike is over $7000 and really wouldn't ride much better than what you could build for about $2500 less. There are a lot of options, but I am starting to feel pretty good about just going with an Advanced 1 Disc. All you need to do is add a set of Shimano RS685 shifters and a nicer wheelset to that bike down the road and it's pretty much superb. You get to ride a great stock bike while you are working on that too. If I don't do that, I will probably go with the Pro Advanced 1 Disc with Di2 or a mechanical build from a Advanced SL Disc frameset. I kind of doubt I will go with either of the last two options though. Anyway, I thought I would share a couple of things I have been thinking about since it sounds like you are still weighing options....
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 09-25-2016 at 09:04 PM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,405
    Going with what you like the look of is always worth the extra dinero!

    Next year, you won't even remember the money



    .

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Going with what you like the look of is always worth the extra dinero!

    Next year, you won't even remember the money



    .
    Ha! Of course you would do that to me right when I pretty much have my mind made up.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    Going with what you like the look of is always worth the extra dinero!

    Next year, you won't even remember the money



    .
    Can you explain why you didn't go with an integrated seatmast this time around and/or what the differences are? Thanks!
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,405
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Can you explain why you didn't go with an integrated seatmast this time around and/or what the differences are? Thanks!
    The main reason is money (I've exceeded the extra dinero LOL ) , I decided to spend more on wheels than the frame, figure I will keep the wheels longer and the they will make more of a difference to the bike than an ISP. As I currently have the TCR SL ISP, other than better looks, I can't say if there is any difference in ride because I've never ridden two identically equipped bikes back to back. It would be hard to pinpoint if it the wheels, tires, air pressure, seat, etc that makes the difference. If there is, I can't imagine it is all that significant.
    Additionally, as I am 5'8" I had to cut quite a bit off the seat mast on my bike, so it is going to bite me now when I go to sell it, don't want to have to deal with that again.



    I just found out the frame hasn't shown up on schedule and it will be another 3 weeks, which of course puts me out of town when it shows up, so even longer

    .

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4,893
    Quote Originally Posted by MoPho View Post
    The main reason is money (I've exceeded the extra dinero LOL ) , I decided to spend more on wheels than the frame, figure I will keep the wheels longer and the they will make more of a difference to the bike than an ISP. As I currently have the TCR SL ISP, other than better looks, I can't say if there is any difference in ride because I've never ridden two identically equipped bikes back to back. It would be hard to pinpoint if it the wheels, tires, air pressure, seat, etc that makes the difference. If there is, I can't imagine it is all that significant.
    Additionally, as I am 5'8" I had to cut quite a bit off the seat mast on my bike, so it is going to bite me now when I go to sell it, don't want to have to deal with that again.



    I just found out the frame hasn't shown up on schedule and it will be another 3 weeks, which of course puts me out of town when it shows up, so even longer

    .
    Sorry man, that bites. Thank you for the info though it was very helpful. I'm 5'6" so I would likely have to cut even more. I am all in on the Advanced 1 Disc now.I will just upgrade shifters, brake rotors and wheels and it should be so solid and still at a price I can comfortably live with.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. RBR TdF 2017 Predictions! Post by Start Time 2017
    By PJay in forum Pro Cycling - Tour de France
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 14 Hours Ago, 05:20 PM
  2. 2017 SuperSix EVO 2 Disc
    By jumbojuice in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 03-26-2017, 06:01 AM
  3. New Propel for 2017
    By gaff in forum Giant
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-24-2016, 10:30 AM
  4. Disc brake rotors for cross & general riding
    By deviousalex in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-20-2014, 10:03 PM
  5. Riding with back/disc problems
    By Mike_nyc1 in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:23 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •