RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006

Giant FCR 1 good choice?

I am looking for a new ''performance hydrid bike'' mostly for urban traveling. I looked at most of the major brands available in Canada in accordance with my budget ($1500). My #1 choice right now is a Giant FCR 1. It as a composite fork and stay. This bike is among the lightest I have seen in this category. It as XERO XSR-2 rims and hubs, TRUVATIV Elita crank and a SRAM X9 shifter and dérailleur.

Do you think this bike is a good choice? I specialy do not know much about the SRAM X9 dérailleur. This dérailleur seem to made for mountain bike.... Is it a goog choice for a road bike?

I would apreciate your comments.

Thank you

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    My first "real" bike was an 04 Giant Cypress SX, which was much closer to the current TCR line than to the current Cypress line. Mine was a very nice bike, I'm sure this one is too.

However, that kind of money will also buy you a Giant OCR-1, which is a true road bike with an "upright" geometry and the new 105 road group. My wife has the OCR-1w and is very happy with it. Might want to give it a look/ride as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I also have been considering the FCR 1. My Giant LBS only had a FCR 3 in stock. I test road it and really liked it. Looking at the frame, I believe it is very similar to or is actually the same frame as the OCR series. The only difference being the braze ons for V-Brakes on the frame and fork. The FCR 3 has a very nimble and stable ride, much like a cross country hardtail. The ride position is very upright. Based on the test ride with the FCR 3 It would seem the FCR 1 would be a bit lighter because of the better components with a similar ride. Based on how the FCR 3 rode and if you do not mind a more upright riding position, the FCR 1 would be a great bike. I also ride a mountain bike w/ SRAM components and they are excellent.