Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671

    Meet the new boss!! 2012 Giant Defy Advanced 1

    Just ordered a 2012 Giant Defy Advanced 1, complete with SRAM FORCE. It will be here the early part of next week. Can't wait to get it in. I'll take pics of it after I get it home, but here's a photo from Giant's website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet the new boss!! 2012 Giant Defy Advanced 1-defy_advanced_1_compact.jpg  

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    7
    Nice bike! I just ordered a new Defy 2, it will be my first road bike!

  3. #3
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: willieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629
    Congrats. The Defy advanced is an amazing bike. I really enjoy mine Hope to see pics soon!
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671
    As soon as I get it in and built up, I'll take some pics. Can't really see any modifications I'd make, with the exception of changing bar tape to red or blue, but then again, the black looks good as it is.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    144
    Willie, I see you have Campagnolo on your Giant. I've been dealing with an irritating bb noise for 2 yrs. Have you experienced the same?

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: willieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    Willie, I see you have Campagnolo on your Giant. I've been dealing with an irritating bb noise for 2 yrs. Have you experienced the same?
    Every once in awhile I hear a click when I'm out of the saddle and pounding. I can't tell if it's coming from the front fork area or the crank. I know it's not the wheels as I have tried different sets. Sounds like yours is a little more of a problem as I wouldn't call my noise irritating. I'm going to take it in soon for a tune up and have them check it completely over. I want them to re-install and lube the crank and fork among other things in a normal once over. Hope you get yours worked out bud. Keep rolling and Happy Thanksgiving!
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: willieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo View Post
    As soon as I get it in and built up, I'll take some pics. Can't really see any modifications I'd make, with the exception of changing bar tape to red or blue, but then again, the black looks good as it is.
    Yeh, me neither
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Meet the new boss!! 2012 Giant Defy Advanced 1-img_1698-adjusted.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    144
    Willie, I had/have a 2010 TCR with the ISP, built also with Super Record. Here is a link to the noise was mentioning. Campy BB 1 - YouTube After a couple of years dealing with it I have worked with my LBS and going with a complete Defy. I really like the Campagnolo but after changing everything - wheels, crank, bb, seat/clamp, checked the bars/stem, it always returns. My take on it is the adapters that Campagnolo uses for the bb86 bottom bracket is off just enough to create the noise.
    Your bike looks great.

  9. #9
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: willieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    Willie, I had/have a 2010 TCR with the ISP, built also with Super Record. Here is a link to the noise was mentioning. Campy BB 1 - YouTube After a couple of years dealing with it I have worked with my LBS and going with a complete Defy. I really like the Campagnolo but after changing everything - wheels, crank, bb, seat/clamp, checked the bars/stem, it always returns. My take on it is the adapters that Campagnolo uses for the bb86 bottom bracket is off just enough to create the noise.
    Your bike looks great.
    That's one serious noise. I think your diagnosis is spot on. Why can't the LBS remove the crank, inspect it for any issues, replace the guts with new adapters etc and re-install it?
    Or has that been done already? If so, I would get a second opinion. I would hate to give up my Campy at this point as I really like it. I'm sure you liked yours to when it was operating correctly.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    144
    My LBS has had the bb apart many times, inspecting the guts. I removed the 10 speed crank off of my cross bike, noise came back, no noise on my cross bike though (Salsa Chili Con Crosso) The complete bottom bracket was replaced (warranty), noise came back. Here is a thread I started earlier about the issue. Campy Bottom Bracket noise My LBS is really the most experienced of the shops around, an owner/operator, started in a shop as a kid, now 30 yrs later owns a shop.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    144
    Yes, I really liked the bike

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: willieboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    629
    Quote Originally Posted by black cross View Post
    My LBS has had the bb apart many times, inspecting the guts. I removed the 10 speed crank off of my cross bike, noise came back, no noise on my cross bike though (Salsa Chili Con Crosso) The complete bottom bracket was replaced (warranty), noise came back. Here is a thread I started earlier about the issue. Campy Bottom Bracket noise My LBS is really the most experienced of the shops around, an owner/operator, started in a shop as a kid, now 30 yrs later owns a shop.
    I Read through the whole thread and everyone was very helpful. I'm not a mechanic by any means so I can't offer a solution of any kind. I know my slight tick that I hear when out of the saddle bugs me but it's nothing like what you're dealing. Good luck with it bud.
    2013 Lynskey R230. Campagnolo Chorus 11 group-set. Campagnolo Neutron Ultra wheel-set. Easton EC90 aero handlebars on 3T team stem. Specialized Romin Expert 155mm saddle. Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals. Garmin Edge 800. Lizard skin tape.

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1

    Price?

    Adjtogo, did you pay list or did the LBS give you a discount? I'm planning on purchasing the same bike in a couple months.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671
    I've been sworn to secrecy!!! But I can tell you, if you're looking for a great bike at a fantastic price, Road Bikes, Frames, Completes, Bicycle Parts and Bike Accessories from RealCyclist.com has a killer deal for a Litespeed Archon C1 in full SRAM Force for $1900. That bike is a 2011 model which sells for $4299, so $1900 on that is a steal!! They had 20+ medium framed bikes yesterday, and now only have 7. They also had the same bike with full Ultegra for $1600, but had very few left.

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    24
    The small touches of red looks really nice on the new defy's

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671
    Wouldn't you know. The bike came in and the same day it arrived, the LBS owner received an email from Giant saying the bike has been recalled. Apparently, the front fork has been having issues with the new redesign for 2012. Giant is supposed to be having new forks made and sent out priority. This is not only for the Defy models, but also Avail models too. So, I thought I was going to a happy camper when it came it, but that is certainly not the case. It may take 4-6 weeks for the new fork to come in.

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    448

    fork

    Quote Originally Posted by adjtogo View Post
    Wouldn't you know. The bike came in and the same day it arrived, the LBS owner received an email from Giant saying the bike has been recalled. Apparently, the front fork has been having issues with the new redesign for 2012. Giant is supposed to be having new forks made and sent out priority. This is not only for the Defy models, but also Avail models too. So, I thought I was going to a happy camper when it came it, but that is certainly not the case. It may take 4-6 weeks for the new fork to come in.
    what kind of redesign

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671
    They need to remanufacture and redesign the front fork so it will not crack again. This is a massive recall that will cost Giant a lot of money in previous and future sales.

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    305
    I wonder if it's actually a design fault or just a fabricator quality control issue?
    Whatever the cause, my wife is not happy she hasn't got her new (Christmas) bike and there is no feedback from Giant on the time frame as to when this situation will be resolved.

  20. #20
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671
    I totally understand how your wife feels as my bike had actually been delivered to the shop the same day the recall was issued. I thought I wass going to be in heaven with the new purchase, but ended being very disappointed with the recall and no sign of when the problem may be resolved. So, in the box, she sits, without any specific delivery date until Giant gets a new shipment of forks...

  21. #21
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    305

    progress report

    Latest advice is that we should have it by the end of this month - fingers crossed

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    612
    I was waiting on the Defy SL 0, but with no solid arrival date I purchased a Colnago M10.
    MyLabsBestFriend

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    22
    Nice bike! I've been looking at the 2011 Defy Advanced 1 for quite some time now. Do you have any experience with the 2011? What made you go with the 2012?

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by Saxoplay View Post
    Nice bike! I've been looking at the 2011 Defy Advanced 1 for quite some time now. Do you have any experience with the 2011? What made you go with the 2012?
    The 2012 was redesigned..new mold for the frame...lighter frame, lighter fork, integrated ANT+ sensor in the chainstay. The 2011 has an AL steerer fork which is a big drawback for me. The redesigned fork better not add a ton of weight.

    Add me to the list of those waiting for a 2012 Defy Advanced. My LBS can't even order it for me, Giant isn't accepting orders on the bike because of this issue.

    Honestly I'm considering bagging hope for the Defy Advanced and getting a Roubaix SL3 or Cervelo R3. Problem is I've heard too many BB cracking and bad finish stories with Cervelo and there are a ton of SL3s around this area. One of the things drawing me to the Defy was that it would be unique here.

  25. #25
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    671
    Last I heard is that the forks are made and in the USA and are waiting to clear customs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Giant Defy Advanced
    By GoLevi in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-11-2011, 07:02 PM
  2. Giant 2012 TCR and Defy
    By ManxShred in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-01-2011, 05:48 AM
  3. Giant Defy or Defy Advanced for Big Guy?
    By WoodyCT in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-20-2009, 07:54 AM
  4. Giant Defy Advanced 2
    By geoss in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-06-2009, 08:55 PM
  5. Giant 09 Defy Advanced
    By gh1 in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook