Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
Results 251 to 275 of 279

Thread: Gravel Racing

  1. #251
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by 11spd View Post
    When my daughters were schooling in england from belguim I'd ride those roads with a CX bike. Remember, for some, it's always a fair day. And I love the rain, cold and misťrable.

    Gavel bike for the bottom bracket lowered clearance of a CX. And I already have a light weight mountain bike, which suks city streets jumping lights and sukin' a vacuum behind a district bus. LOL.

    Gavel = Good Fellows.

    Mix of anything. Great stuff. Great thread.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -


  2. #252
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    When my daughters were schooling in england from belguim I'd ride those roads with a CX bike. Remember, for some, it's always a fair day. And I love the rain, cold and misťrable.

    Gavel bike for the bottom bracket lowered clearance of a CX. And I already have a light weight mountain bike, which suks city streets jumping lights and sukin' a vacuum behind a district bus. LOL.

    Gavel = Good Fellows.

    Mix of anything. Great stuff. Great thread.
    Proof positive we all are different which underscores why so difficult to reach a consensus on which bike....the genre varying quite a bit and even what bikes are raced by people that know approx. what they are doing at a given event.

    I would never ride a cross bike on those roads...ever. Done it, and not my idea of a good time. I am on the side of Joe in the video, front shock and 2+ inch wide rubber...and doesn't help to be on one of the top race hardtail's on the planet. Personal preference.

    So a cross bike for you...or gravel bike is the ticket. No need for even considering a bike that melds both genres of cross and mtb like monstercross.

    Do you have a gravel bike in mind?...or a set of metrics you want to build to?

  3. #253
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    I thought this was such a worthwhile read that I came back just to post it. It's also something that I (and others) have been saying for some time. It's the tire clearance and the move away from rim based calipers that make disc brakes and gravel bikes interesting/special and a step forward in some capacity.

    https://pelotonmagazine.com/home-pag...ycle%E2%88%97/
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  4. #254
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 11spd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    1,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    I thought this was such a worthwhile read that I came back just to post it. It's also something that I (and others) have been saying for some time. It's the tire clearance and the move away from rim based calipers that make disc brakes and gravel bikes interesting/special and a step forward in some capacity.

    https://pelotonmagazine.com/home-pag...ycle%E2%88%97/
    Thanks for the article. Yes, disc brakes do promote greater universality and riding a greater tire and wheel width variance on a single frameset without a doubt. One can buy...and have...a singular bike like say a carbon Diverge with disc brakes and throw on a set of Zipps with 25c rubber and keep up on the A group ride. Or..put some 40mm gravel tires on it and ride not too gnarly gravel or single track and jump some curbs through town.

    So great perspective. But perhaps we can agree...or not...that no single bike is all things. There maybe more of a universal bike....I believe it is emerging already in what many call a gravel bike even if the nomenclature falls short...but other more specific purpose bikes....like a sub 15 lb road bike for climbing...and dual suspension mtb for the rough stuff I believe will always exist. Time will tell if disk brakes dominate the lightest road bikes. Disc brakes I believe have the rest of the industry covered. None-the-less insightful perspective looking through a different lens. Before greater ubiquity of disc brakes, who didn't hate center pull rim brakes on fat tired bikes? God they were awful ;)
    Last edited by 11spd; 12-27-2017 at 01:15 PM.

  5. #255
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    ...It's the tire clearance and the move away from rim based calipers that make disc brakes and gravel bikes interesting/special and a step forward in some capacity.
    I ride a set of 25mm Conti Grand Prix 4000S on the SuperSix for years now. Real control and comfort but the inner fork blade crown is ripped to shreds [carbon fiber]. I completely agree with those insertions in that URL. As I stated earlier, I do not need bb ground clearance as w/the CX. I'd like a road bike with about everything stated in that URL. I never knew there was such a beast as a Gravel Bike until reading this tread. I've been researching the interwebs for days now for that next purchase. Thanks again.







    Above photo taken from NicoPerthuis
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -


  6. #256
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I ride a set of 25mm Conti Grand Prix 4000S on the SuperSix for years now. Real control and comfort but the inner fork blade crown is ripped to shreds [carbon fiber]. I completely agree with those insertions in that URL. As I stated earlier, I do not need bb ground clearance as w/the CX. I'd like a road bike with about everything stated in that URL. I never knew there was such a beast as a Gravel Bike until reading this tread. I've been researching the interwebs for days now for that next purchase. Thanks again.







    Above photo taken from NicoPerthuis
    You are most welcome. I am glad itís been beneficial. That was what I started the thread for. Hereís another more affordable option I came across since I last posted. It comes with 650b wheels and 2x stock if that matters to you.

    GRIT 440 - KHS Bicycles

    Gravel Racing-interbike-khs-1.jpg
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 12-28-2017 at 07:28 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  7. #257
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    The beautiful Boyd Jocassee and WTB Byway combination. I love the look of this combo and riders rave about it as well. It's definitely on the short list of combos to try. (they are also combined with Di2 and a 2x system here.... so jealous).

    Gravel Racing-boydcycling_040-1000x1000.jpg
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 12-28-2017 at 08:29 AM.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  8. #258
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    You are most welcome. I am glad itís been beneficial. That was what I started the thread for. Hereís another more affordable option I came across since I last posted. It comes with 650b wheels and 2x stock if that matters to you.

    GRIT 440 - KHS Bicycles

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interbike-KHS-1.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	321490
    Thank you. Definitely a consideration. A 650bb is really practical.


    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -


  9. #259
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Thank you. Definitely a consideration. A 650bb is really practical.


    Yeah, I saw that one when it came out. It's a funny one and interesting. It's one of the videos that sparked my interest in gravel riding as well.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  10. #260
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  11. #261
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  12. #262
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    On the more affordable end of the spectrum, we have the aluminum Kona Rove. 650b wheels and tires come stock.

    KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove NRB

    KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove NRB DL

    It's also available in steel:

    KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove LTD

    Or as a frameset:

    Kona Rove LTD Frame/Fork 2018 | Jenson USA

    Gravel Racing-kona-rove-launch-2018-img_2807-hdr-cxmagazine-ay_1-srgb.jpg
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  13. #263
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    215
    If you are interested in Steel, don't forget about Gunnar/Waterford. They have some nice offerings across the full spectrum.

  14. #264
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Finx View Post
    If you are interested in Steel, don't forget about Gunnar/Waterford. They have some nice offerings across the full spectrum.
    I am set on going with the Search XR Carbon, but others have definitely indicated they have a preference for steel, so thank you.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  15. #265
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    974
    Thought I'd throw in a vote for my Raleigh Stuntman for others here. You can get it for $1,300 right now.

    For that you get:
    - a Reynolds 631 frame with a threaded BB, thru-axles on both ends and some nice welded details
    - Rival 1x Hydro with a tough Sammox crank and narrow wide chainring.
    - Fairly nice tubeless ready 29er wheels (Novatec/Weinmann) with 50mm Clement/Donnelly X'Plor MOS tubeless tires on 28mm wide rims.
    - nice bars that copy the Salsa Cowbell and a comfortable Velo-made fake Selle San Marco Regal saddle
    - sweet retro paint based on the truck from "The Fall Guy".

    Drawbacks? It weighs 26 lbs, the included Trans-X dropper post is unnecessary and the cable routing is weird.

    Still for $1,300, you're getting an indestructible bike that works well, is very comfortable, rides with stability and comfort and will go wherever you want.

    Raleigh makes a lot of nicely designed and practical gravel bikes right now. If the Stuntman is too extreme, something else might work.

  16. #266
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
    Thought I'd throw in a vote for my Raleigh Stuntman for others here. You can get it for $1,300 right now.

    For that you get:
    - a Reynolds 631 frame with a threaded BB, thru-axles on both ends and some nice welded details
    - Rival 1x Hydro with a tough Sammox crank and narrow wide chainring.
    - Fairly nice tubeless ready 29er wheels (Novatec/Weinmann) with 50mm Clement/Donnelly X'Plor MOS tubeless tires on 28mm wide rims.
    - nice bars that copy the Salsa Cowbell and a comfortable Velo-made fake Selle San Marco Regal saddle
    - sweet retro paint based on the truck from "The Fall Guy".

    Drawbacks? It weighs 26 lbs, the included Trans-X dropper post is unnecessary and the cable routing is weird.

    Still for $1,300, you're getting an indestructible bike that works well, is very comfortable, rides with stability and comfort and will go wherever you want.

    Raleigh makes a lot of nicely designed and practical gravel bikes right now. If the Stuntman is too extreme, something else might work.
    Heck yeah, thatís a really cool bike. Itís like a steel Salsa Cutthroat. Thatís a great value for what you are getting too. You should post some pics when you can.

  17. #267
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    On the more affordable end of the spectrum, we have the aluminum Kona Rove. 650b wheels and tires come stock.

    KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove NRB

    KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove NRB DL

    It's also available in steel:

    KONA BIKES | ROAD | ROVE | Rove LTD

    Or as a frameset:

    Kona Rove LTD Frame/Fork 2018 | Jenson USA
    These were not my seat positions. At least not in those photos in comparison to the GRIT 440 - KHS Bicycles.

    May sound odd, but years of riding a GIOS Torino Record as a youngin' a decade and a half after its' initial launch, and being short armed, long legged and broad shouldered made the scenario of bars to the bottom of the head tube "position" completely comfortable. With a short upper body and long legs, no spacers and rake is the prerequisite.

    To each his own.




    Last edited by Eretz; 12-28-2017 at 04:26 PM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -


  18. #268
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    These were not my seat positions. At least not in those photos in comparison to the GRIT 440 - KHS Bicycles.

    May sound odd, but years of riding a GIOS Torino Record as a youngin' a decade and a half after its' initial launch, and being short armed, long legged and broad shouldered made the scenario of bars to the bottom of the head tube "position" completely comfortable. With a short upper body and long legs, no spacers and rake is the prerequisite.

    To each his own.




    Fit is definitely key for any bike purchase, so go with what works for your body. I am just sharing different options I come across from time to time so that people can see whatís out there.
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  19. #269
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    4,364
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Fit is definitely key for any bike purchase, so go with what works for your body. I am just sharing different options I come across from time to time so that people can see whatís out there.
    Don't get me wrong. You picked out the one design that perfectly fit my needs. That was the KLH. Now, the Kona bikes would need a complete cockpit change. You can make anything fit in the overall. I was not dissing the Kona and those choices, but the shorter top tube and the overall design of the KLH is what I've eventually purchased after research. So, don't take my remark as wrong. You were dead right.

    Again thanks.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -


  20. #270
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  21. #271
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    Yes! That is a very good read. Interesting and sprinkled with good info.

    Thanks for sharing
    CJB

  22. #272
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Another one that appears to be a really solid, but super affordable option:

    Kinesis Tripster AT gravel bike review - Cycling Weekly
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  23. #273
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  24. #274
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    This guy set a Giant TCX up with 650b wheels (link on top). You could probably put together a pretty nice build with a TCX SX if you wanted a racier rig and are willing to sacrifice a little stability on descents to get there. It comes with a fairly friendly price tag as well.

    Kirkland Bicycle Shop Bike Store. Santa Cruz,Yeti,Giant,Cannondale

    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/tcx-advanced-sx

    https://cyclingmagazine.ca/spotlight...ced-sx-review/

    Giant TCX SLR max tire clearance - Weight Weenies

    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

  25. #275
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    6,227
    More motivation to at least try some gravel and trail riding:

    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Gravel Bike wheel q: Stan's ArchEX on gravel bike
    By stuarttx in forum Gravel Bikes
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-23-2017, 06:53 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-13-2016, 04:42 AM
  3. Tubeless pressure for gravel racing?
    By namaSSte in forum Gravel Bikes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2016, 09:01 PM
  4. Perfect wheel & tire for gravel road racing - your thoughts?
    By Gobiking12344 in forum Gravel Bikes
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM
  5. 47 minutes of French pro's racing on gravel
    By Creakyknees in forum Gravel Bikes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-12-2012, 10:29 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest RoadBike Articles

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

roadbikereview.com and the ConsumerReview Network are business units of Invenda Corporation

(C) Copyright 1996-2018. All Rights Reserved.