RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009

Terrible! Ultegra hydraulic brakes R8000/4day old full bike. Fix?

The shimano Ultegra hydraulic brakes do not stop or lock up/ skid on my bike when I am on Dirt. The lever comes all the way to the bar and still no lock up. R8000.
    Is there a different hosing that makes the brakes more powerful?
    who else has this problem?
    ​​​​​​​Fix?
    Thank you.
    KTM 300XC- This must be what it is like to be on Crack without the side effects!
    Litespeed Vortex
    Ellsworth Truth
    Good riding to you!

Adorable Furry Hombre
    This isn't a housing issue this is a bleeding issue. The hydraulics need bled.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    This isn't a housing issue this is a bleeding issue. The hydraulics need bled.
    This! I can assure you, they will lock the brakes easily when working correctly. I've had problems like what you described when they had air in the system. If you haven't got the disc and pads contaminated with brake fluid, bleeding should solve it.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    sounds like your brake needs bleeding

as to the question of housing, yes braided stainless hoses give a more solid and direct feeling at the lever, especially for the lever operating the rear brake because here the hose distance runs longer and with braided hose you can feel the difference (at least I definitely did on my mtb bike)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Have the pads been bedded in yet? New pads on disc brakes are the worst they'll ever be.

Have the pads been contaminated with some sort of cleaning solution? That can reduce the stopping power to basically nothing.

The problem isn't with the ultegra hydraulic brakes. They kick ass. Something is wrong, or you just haven't bedded the pads yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Just needed bleeding. Thought a brand new bike just built for would have been fine. Came from other side of the country. Maybe air freight? Could this have caused the air in lines?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikerva1 View Post
    Just needed bleeding. Thought a brand new bike just built for would have been fine. Came from other side of the country. Maybe air freight? Could this have caused the air in lines?
    probably it's just one of those random mistake thing that the technician didn't do a good job on setting up. It could happen. Shimano is usually reliable. Back in the early days of hydraulic brakes, I used to remember that Hope's brake oil reservoir could gulp in some air if you flip the bike upside down and your reservoir had air space in it (because oil is not filled up), then the air bubble could conceivably seep into the brake line if you were to press on the lever while the bike is flipped. Damn!

And even bleeding the brakes back in those days would almost be like a 2-man operation as one pump the fluid in from below while another man suck it up from the top. I haven't used hydraulic disc brake in years, but hopefully today ones are easier to bleed