RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011

$500 for a Trek Pilot carbon fiber frame

http://trekbicyclesuperstore.com/pro...e-set-3821.htm

I just thought I would pass this along. I saw the frame in one of the stores and then checked their website when I got home.

Is this any good? I was considering this and buying what ever I needed to build a bike. I still have to search and find out how much everything else would cost though.
    I'm looking to buy my first road bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    At that price it is a BEST BUY in a relaxed road bike frame.
    Since it is brand new it should come with Trek lifetime warranty
    to the original buyer.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    If it fits it is a good first bike at a good price - only 3 sizes left - if they don't have your size, pass.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Listed at 1999.00 now.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Frame only for $2,000 or the frame built up (with SRAM Rival and other stuff) for $1,600.

Sounds like the frame is sold out so they just upped the price back to retail but still have the frame built up for sale.

http://trekbicyclesuperstore.com/pro...rival-3998.htm

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Their website just sucks. The frame is $500 not $2,000. I was just at the store looking at bikes. They have the frames hanging on the walls.

I want to buy one but I looked for the parts needed and I can't get all the parts and frame in my budget.

From the website: "Frame and Fork Only. $499.99 does not include pictured components"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Do yo have any parts now? Are you looking for a comfort bike? Does it fit? Parts can be had cheaper if you are patient and look.
    Embrace the fact that everyone on these forums has their own unique desires, needs, experiences and environment so what works for you may not work for others.

Punster
    What's the weight of the frame?

You do realize this frame is for people who want a more upright position right?
    A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Maximus_XXIV
    Do yo have any parts now? Are you looking for a comfort bike? Does it fit? Parts can be had cheaper if you are patient and look.
    No I don't have any parts to begin with. I'm a mountain bike rider wanting to get into road. They do have my size. Where else can I look? I have been looking at sites like Jenson and Nashbar.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonwells4
    What's the weight of the frame?

You do realize this frame is for people who want a more upright position right?
    Not sure the weight. Yes, I'm not all that flexible so I have been told to find a bike with a more upright position. Are there any cons to this?

Punster
    Well, you may not need a bike as relaxed as the Pilot to get the right position. With the right amount of spacers(don't use more than 4cm), a regular frame could be fine.

If you have the means, a fitting would be a wise investment.

If you get the Pilot and you become more flexible, you may not be able to lower the bars as much as you want.
    A dirty mind is a terrible thing to waste!

RoadBikeReview Member
    thanks for the heads up. i wish i could drive over there (san diego) right now but i need to be at work by 5 (glendale).
    Last edited by red elvis; 01-24-2011 at 07:45 PM.
    2011 cannondale supersix
    2013 cannondale caad 10

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by NumLock

I just thought I would pass this along. I saw the frame in one of the stores and then checked their website when I got home.

Is this any good? I was considering this and buying what ever I needed to build a bike. I still have to search and find out how much everything else would cost though.
    Thats a great deal for that frame

RoadBikeReview Member
    NumLock -- Since you don't have anything to build it up with... a quick search to a few of the cheaper online vendors with great reputations results in a total investment of ~ $1450 (frame + all other required items w/ a Shimano 105 build and good set of wheels). Ribble Bikes (UK based at: http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/) are running a pretty good sale through the remainder of January and Neuvation Cycling (http://www.neuvationcycling.com/) (IMHO) have some great offerings for wheels at great prices. Here is an example of what would be required and prices:
    Trek Pilot Framset: $499
    Ritchey Comp Logic II (31.8) Bars: $28
    Ritchey Comp V2 (31.8) Stem: $25
    Ritchey Logic 2 Bolt Seatpillar: $17.60
    Selle Italia Flite Classic Saddle: $96
    Neuvation M28X Aero Wheelset: $199
    Shimano 105 10 Spd 5600 Brakes: $55
    Shimano 105 5600 BB Cups: $20.55
    Shimano 10 Spd 105 5700 Cassette: $40.3
    Shimano 10 Spd 5701 105 Chain: $21.79
    Shimano 105 Double 5600/5650 10 Spd Chainset/Cranks (Compact): $105
    Shimano 105 Silver (5600) 10 Double Front Gear: $25.23
    Shimano 105 (5600) 10 Spd Rear Gear: $38.42
    Shimano STI Levers 105 5601/5603 with cables: $159.07
    Michelin Pro Race 3 Folding Tires (2): $59.20
    Michelin Airstop Butyl Inner Tubes (2): $6.80
    Ribble S&H: $24.18
    Neuvation S&H: $28
    Total: ~$1448

This is just one way to build it up and your preference on components will surely difffer but will get you in the ballpark... All that you would need from here would be some Handlebar tape and some cages and then get her built and RIDE, RIDE, RIDE...
    If you don't have the tools, time, desire, or know-how to build it up your LBS should be able to do it for ~$150.

Good luck on your bike!
    Last edited by Herkwo; 01-24-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    HERKWO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008

Than you to the OP

I just wanted to say thank you to the OP for posting this. I was able to purchase one of these frames for $500 and consider it a very good deal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gtpharr
    I just wanted to say thank you to the OP for posting this. I was able to purchase one of these frames for $500 and consider it a very good deal.
    that is if you live around the area. they do not ship them. you have to drive there to pick it up in person.
    Last edited by red elvis; 01-27-2011 at 05:33 PM.
    2011 cannondale supersix
    2013 cannondale caad 10

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Thanks for everyone's input. I think I am just going to buy a built bike instead. Looking at Cannondale's bikes at the moment.

Looks like someone benefited from this thread at least.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by red elvis
    that is if you live around the area. they do not ship them. you have to drive there to pick it up in person.
    Your local Trek dealer may be able to help you out. Trek's dealer contract does allow a Trek dealer to sell and ship a bike/frame to another Trek dealer.

Or you could have a friend or relative go buy it and ship it to you. They could ask for a "gift receipt" in your name so that you would be the original owner with full warranty.

Neither of the above would be a violation of Trek's dealer agreement.

As in most cases, when there is a will, there is a way. Creativeness and persistance will usually pay off in the end.
    Last edited by gtpharr; 01-28-2011 at 03:24 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for everyone's input. I think I am just going to buy a built bike instead. Looking at Cannondale's bikes at the moment.

Looks like someone benefited from this thread at least.
    make sure to check out the CAAD9 ultegra.
    2011 cannondale supersix
    2013 cannondale caad 10

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    u might could do better in carbon than cannondale for two g, although caad 10, ultegrA is way way nice

felt f series...f5, specialized tarmac 010, worth a look..performance bike dot com has q couple beauties at a thousand off....the krestel800was down to 1500...close to half off.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    I was thinking of just starting out with a good aluminum frame and 105 group. So I am looking at the Caad9-5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    the felt f75, f85 might give you pause...

but the caad nine five is a dynamite bike, no doubt. did you find one?