Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28

    55$ Plus Shipping Full Carbon Saddle 115g Worth It?

    Full Carbon Fiber 3K Road MTB Bicycle Saddle Seat | Cycling | Sports Outdoor | Linkdelight.com Is it worth 55$? I'm planning to get one but I'm not sure if the carbon rail will break. What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    380
    I have had 3 Fizik sadles with carbon rails. The only one that broke was the one I crashed on a mountain descent at 45mph. But then several non-carbon things broke that day as well. I'd say its about the same crap shoot as with anything else carbon but without a mfg warranty,
    “It is just a ‘Game Boy’ that has a gigolo attached at the end telling the racer when to take a piss,” Hinault

  3. #3
    'brifter' is a lame word.
    Reputation: cxwrench's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    9,117
    Quote Originally Posted by enyceckk View Post
    Full Carbon Fiber 3K Road MTB Bicycle Saddle Seat | Cycling | Sports Outdoor | Linkdelight.com Is it worth 55$? I'm planning to get one but I'm not sure if the carbon rail will break. What do you guys think?
    how on earth can we tell you if the rails will break?
    i work for some bike racers...
    2013 Trek Madone 5.9 w/ '12 SRAM Red
    2010 Cervelo T1 sprint bike
    Ruger 10-22TD
    Smith&Wesson M&P 15-22
    Smith&Wesson M&P 9
    oh, those belong in another forum

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by cxwrench View Post
    how on earth can we tell you if the rails will break?
    Simple answer. Buy it and test it for me. Wish they were TI Alloy.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BostonG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,823
    A proper saddle of course won't just break when put through normal use. But, that website seems sketchy. First thing I noticed right away are all the grammar issues in the description - that made me laugh. Then I noticed they sell all types of other stuff – camera gear is a tab just by itself. I buy some minor things from non cycling specific sites too sometimes but mainly from sites I know (Amazon comes to mind).

    If it were me, I wouldn’t get that saddle.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    A proper saddle of course won't just break when put through normal use. But, that website seems sketchy. First thing I noticed right away are all the grammar issues in the description - that made me laugh. Then I noticed they sell all types of other stuff – camera gear is a tab just by itself. I buy some minor things from non cycling specific sites too sometimes but mainly from sites I know (Amazon comes to mind).

    If it were me, I wouldn’t get that saddle.
    You're right on that. However, their Ebay store got ( 60832) feedback score. eBay My World - link-delight

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BostonG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by enyceckk View Post
    You're right on that. However, their Ebay store got ( 60832) feedback score. eBay My World - link-delight
    Well, you’ll probably get the saddle on time then and can track delivery and all that customer service jazz but they are a camera store. I’m sure they know little about what makes a good saddle. Carbon is just a buzz word. There are different grades of carbon, this may be a poor grade. And, what about the other properties of the saddle? Is it leather? Vinyl? Something else? How much or little cushioning does it have? Is it shaped well in an anatomical sense? Dunno, but it just seems off to me.

    No doubt you are attracted to the price of what they call a carbon saddle but I wouldn’t do it. Try looking at Nashbar for an affordable saddle before you splurge on this one. They have a liberal return policy and you can sometimes catch a good deal on a Selle, Fizik, or other name brand saddle. Nashbar is not a high end place but it serves a great purpose and has a lot of decent stuff, especially for us mortals.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    Well, you’ll probably get the saddle on time then and can track delivery and all that customer service jazz but they are a camera store. I’m sure they know little about what makes a good saddle. Carbon is just a buzz word. There are different grades of carbon, this may be a poor grade. And, what about the other properties of the saddle? Is it leather? Vinyl? Something else? How much or little cushioning does it have? Is it shaped well in an anatomical sense? Dunno, but it just seems off to me.

    No doubt you are attracted to the price of what they call a carbon saddle but I wouldn’t do it. Try looking at Nashbar for an affordable saddle before you splurge on this one. They have a liberal return policy and you can sometimes catch a good deal on a Selle, Fizik, or other name brand saddle. Nashbar is not a high end place but it serves a great purpose and has a lot of decent stuff, especially for us mortals.
    Thanks, I will get Nashbar GR2 Saddle.

  9. #9
    PhotonFreak
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    No doubt you are attracted to the price of what they call a carbon saddle but I wouldn’t do it. Try looking at Nashbar for an affordable saddle before you splurge on this one. They have a liberal return policy and you can sometimes catch a good deal on a Selle, Fizik, or other name brand saddle. Nashbar is not a high end place but it serves a great purpose and has a lot of decent stuff, especially for us mortals.
    If possible I'd recommend going into a brick and mortar Performance Bike store (I underststand PB/Nashbar are basically the same company) and actually try a few out before bying. Something like a saddle is one of the most critical things to actually *try out* IMO. I plan to upgrade the saddle on one of my bikes as well as getting some more bike shorts etc at PB during the Black Friday sale.

    PS: the fact I live less than 300m from a performance bike store is very dangerous for my wallet... they have fairly low prices which means I actually spend significantly more money altogether there than I would either shopping solely online (less "ooh that looks nice, gotta get that today" impulse buys) or shopping at a more expensive stores (less of the "wow it's such a good deal, I have to buy 4" factor)
    Last edited by PhotonFreak; 11-17-2011 at 07:25 PM.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: Bacana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    108
    There are lots of cheap carbon seats on eBay. Just search for "carbon saddle".

    Here's a sample: # Brand New Full Carbon 3K MTB Road Bike Seat Saddle | eBay
    sig

  11. #11
    Fierce Pancake
    Reputation: qatarbhoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,855

    Talking Design as human hips

    Thanks for the link, it was a couple of laughs! As others have said, avoid. Use dedicated, reputable cycling websites for best online results IMO.

    Say goodbye to traditional bicycle seat, owning this Carbon Seat – only 115g and more strong. The Streamlined design makes this bicycle saddle cool and comfortable

    Features:

    100% Brand New, 2011 New Model
    Design as human hips, make ride more easily and feel comfortable
    Made of 3K carbon material, ultra-light and durable
    Fits almost kinds of bicycle, such as On-road, Off-road, mountain bikes, BMX ...etc

    The saddle sure looks good:

    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Poast of the Day™.
    .

  12. #12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: BostonG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    2,823
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonFreak View Post
    If possible I'd recommend going into a brick and mortar Performance Bike store (I underststand PB/Nashbar are basically the same company) and actually try a few out before bying. Something like a saddle is one of the most critical things to actually *try out* IMO. I plan to upgrade the saddle on one of my bikes as well as getting some more bike shorts etc at PB during the Black Friday sale.

    PS: the fact I live less than 300m from a performance bike store is very dangerous for my wallet... they have fairly low prices which means I actually spend significantly more money altogether there than I would either shopping solely online (less "ooh that looks nice, gotta get that today" impulse buys) or shopping at a more expensive stores (less of the "wow it's such a good deal, I have to buy 4" factor)
    I agree with you that getting a saddle at a LBS is a good idea. I didn't recommend that route for the OP because his budget doesn't seem like it would fit most quality saddles at an LBS.

    One of my LBS's has a great try before you buy program. $5 to try out a saddle. If you return it, all you lose is $5. But, they only sell higher end saddles - way off of what the OP's budget seems to be.

    I agree, it's a risk getting things like a saddle, shoes, etc. on line but I assume the OP knows that all saddles aren't created equal and is OK with the risk vs price tradeoff. For what the OP is looking for (I think), a place like Nashbar would probably be a good choice. Not only for their selection, products, and prices, but because of their friendly return policy. And, it's a US company.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

  13. #13
    Bike Rider
    Reputation: ronbo613's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    235
    I bought two carbon fiber water bottle cages from Linkdelight and one of them was broken. Not a great deal, I would not buy anything from them again.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-14-2011, 04:58 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM
  3. full carbon saddle
    By footballcat in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 01-03-2006, 08:13 PM
  4. 90g stem 115g cassette
    By Alpinist in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-31-2005, 09:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook