RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

95 Klein Quantum 2 $550.. good deal?

Help....I am looking at the possible purchase of a 95 Klein Quantum 2 road bike.. good condition on the frame with a few scrapes and scratches from normal ware and tare. This person ,i believe, is the second owner, the original owner used to race it and in it's later years used it as an everyday go to work bike. All Ultegra components, tires are showing signs of soon to be side-wall blowout from dry-rot and will need replacing. Does $550 sound like a good deal for this bike? I was hoping to talk him down to $480 based on a few comments i've seen around the internet chat rooms, I am planning on making my offer very soon.. any suggestions. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    About a year ago I sold a '98(?) Klein Quantum Race with Ultegra for $1000. It was mint, with no rash of any kind, and about 1500 miles. It was a nice bike. I would buy one at the price you are talking about.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    jttiii... thanks for the comment. The gentleman I will be bargaining with seems like he'll be a bit of a stickler. He has been collecting vintage bikes for over 20 years and currently still has about 30 in his collection. I don't want to low-ball the guy to hard right out of the gate and kill the deal at the same time I don't want to pay premium for any sentimental attachments. As of now, I will plan on sticking to my offer. I'll post a pic. if I end up with the purchase. Thanks again for the reply... if anyone else out there has any words of wisdom I'd love to hear it.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Hmm.

Just off the top off my head, but Klein may still have used that somewhat problematic proprietary glued-in bottom bracket in 1995. Replacing it may not be an easy task. At the least, ask the seller about that. I'd pass if the bike has the glued-in BB.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    Just off the top off my head, but Klein may still have used that somewhat problematic proprietary glued-in bottom bracket in 1995. Replacing it may not be an easy task. At the least, ask the seller about that. I'd pass if the bike has the glued-in BB.
    Were the early to mid generation BBs on Kleins known for failing at a certain point? Or is it more in the realm of furture upgrading.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005

Odd duck.

The BB in question depended on a press-fit and a glue for its hold inside the frame's unthreaded BB shell. Sometimes the glue gave way and you had to have repairs done, using a special Klein tool. Start reading at page 25 at the link below.

It wasn't a matter of the bearings failing so much. It was more a matter of the goat-rope you had to go through to have the BB re-glued, or replaced when the bearings finally did wear out. Don't quote me on that, but I think Klein offered a conversion gizmo so you could use standard threaded BBs in your unthreaded Klein BB shell. But that was a long time ago.

Again: I'm not sure if the 1995 Klein you're looking at in fact has that glued-in BB, but I would certainly ask. Replacing or repairing such a BB will take time, resourcefulness and a special tool.

http://www.kleinjapan.com/tech_guide...ech_manual.pdf

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks for the info.. well stated. After grazing the Tech manual it does seem fairly involved. I will make sure to convey the question to the current owner.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jpheckert
    Thanks for the info.. well stated. After grazing the Tech manual it does seem fairly involved. I will make sure to convey the question to the current owner.
    Well, that's the thing—to some it seems involved as it does to me as well, and to others it would just be a neat little challenge in shop skills to keep a nice old Klein going forever.