merckxman
    Jan 2002

AEGIS out of business, sale

"AEGIS has been producing some of the best bike frames in the world for over 20 years. Unfortunately, in late 2007, the ability for small US manufacturers to renew credit got much tougher. It's been expensive enough doing business in the U.S. and especially in Maine, but we were really beginning to make some significant strides forward.

In the 1st quarter of 2008, I made the difficult decision to start shutting down the manufacturing facility for weeks at a time. And, it was working. But, by the Fall of 2008, the bottom of the economy fell out and by October, AEGIS stopped all manufacturing. I hoped I'd be able to restart, but after 12 months, I'm not sure what the future of AEGIS will be.

AEGIS is out of business. There are a couple of scenarios where AEGIS may re-emerge.

The 1st is that I am able to find a partner or buyer to purchase all the assets of AEGIS. If you're interested in this, email me at pete@aegisbicycles.com.
    AEGIS has over 200 frames finished and ready for sale. If I can reduce inventory, there may be a chance. The most likely buyer of these frames are those who know the quality and performance of them. These frames are being sold with no warrantee and no promises other than they had been manufactured in the same way as all the frames made over the years by AEGIS.

All Existing frames are available at http://www.shop.aegisbicycles.com."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    As a Mainer and cyclist, this is sucky news. :-( If I had the resources, I'd help them out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    Link is bad...

it should be http://shop.aegisbicycles.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    A bit more googling, and it appears as if a new company has formed named Argus. They've apparently hired all the Aegis employees and are producing a couple of model of bikes.

http://www.argusbicycles.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yes, Argus hired the Aegis employees but they are building bikes of their own design. Best of all is that they are repairing Aegis bikes. It seems that some of the Aegis bikes built toward the end of Aegis life need repairs. Argus is repairing a crack under the bottom bracket of my Aegis Zaero now that wasn't caused by a crash or rough usage ( how much rough usage can a 67 year old man dish out on a TT frame ?)
    Jim Purdy - Mansfield, TX

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Some of these frames look stunning in their livery. I'm almost tempted to buy one as a spare frame.

Anyone got any experience of these frames, in short are they any good?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP
    Yes, Argus hired the Aegis employees but they are building bikes of their own design. Best of all is that they are repairing Aegis bikes. It seems that some of the Aegis bikes built toward the end of Aegis life need repairs. Argus is repairing a crack under the bottom bracket of my Aegis Zaero now that wasn't caused by a crash or rough usage ( how much rough usage can a 67 year old man dish out on a TT frame ?)
    This is good news

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fitzm
    Some of these frames look stunning in their livery. I'm almost tempted to buy one as a spare frame.

Anyone got any experience of these frames, in short are they any good?
    I love their bikes, I have owned 4 different ones in my cycling life. One was their origianl mtn bike frame that just kept on going after 5 years. The only reason I sold it was that it had a 1" headset. I bought one of the 650c Tridents from the clearence section and have been riding it for the past few weeks outside. They are not the lightest carbon bikes out there, but the ride is super nice. It is also good that Argus is still working on the old frames incase something does happen or I just want a new paint job after a few years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Here is the bike right after being built. It now has a shorter stem and new pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AEGIS out of business, sale-aegis-complete.jpg