RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003

CANE CREEK AEROHEAD SG ROAD WHEELS $183.96 pair

Go to performance and have them Price match http://www.greenfishsports.com at 229.95 then take 20% off using performance code 6000387.

johnny99
    Apr 2004
    These wheels are junk. I had a pair. The spoke holes on the rim are not reinforced. My spokes pulled through the rear rim in 3 different places. The wheels lasted about 1.5 years (7000 miles), slightly longer than the 1 year warrantee period.

RoadBikeReview Member

Aerohead rims

Quote Originally Posted by johnny99
    These wheels are junk. I had a pair. The spoke holes on the rim are not reinforced. My spokes pulled through the rear rim in 3 different places. The wheels lasted about 1.5 years (7000 miles), slightly longer than the 1 year warrantee period.

These wheels use a special hole pattern Velocity Aerohead rim. They are a very solid rim overall but yes, they don't have reinforced sockets around the rim holes like some other rims.

A friend of mine has some of these wheels and he had to get them trued due to loose spokes. After this initial reset, the wheels have been great for him. Sounds like Cane Creek sometimes has problems with spoke tension. I wouldn't hesitate to buy these if in the market, assuming ones has the ability to check the spokes to make sure they are properly tensioned.

Ed
    Last edited by Nessism; 08-14-2004 at 05:58 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2004

did you call Velocity to advise them of the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by johnny99
    -------------------
    In the USA, Doug is their master wheelbuilder, who's probably built ten thousand wheels in the last several years (by his own estimation). Velocity rims are manufactured in Australia, and they have very good quality control as a rule.

However, many (if not just about all) aero type rims don't have the eyelet reinforcing like a box rim (like the excellent Velocity Razor, a terrific alternative to the Mavic Open Pro).

So, the build quality is the key. Spoke tension is science and art. Could be your wheel builder botched it.

Regardless, Doug is sincere in wanting to know about ANY problems with Velocity rims. Call him. He's a great guy (and will talk a bit, so make sure the boss isn't hovering if you phone from work).

http://www.velocityusa.com/