So. Calif.

DHL Express, Wiggle, and import duties

The obnoxious behaviour of UPS & Fedex for shipments into the USA is well documented -- they not only collect (sometimes incorrectly) import duties, but also impose absurdly high "brokerage fee" BS.

But what about DHL Express?

Normally when I buy stuff from Wiggle and select the "free shipping" option, it is always shipped via UK's Parcel Force and then handed off to the postal service inside USA (USPS). USPS only once collected duties out of dozens of pruchases, and has never charged "brokerage fees".

However this time, Wiggle shipped via DHL Express, not Parcel Force.

What has been experience with DHL shipping?
    Am I screwed, like I would be with UPS?

Maybe items shipped DHL because it is a high$ wheelset, but I've purchased other wheelsets and they always shipped with ParcelForce.

Matnlely Dregaend
    You should be fine. DHL Express usually hands the package off to USPS here anyways. I've never been charged anything extra.
    "I haven't @#&$ed like that since I was an altar boy." - Hank Moody
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Genuine Campagnolo Spares - Inserts for Dura Ace pattern brake shoes." - PBK

So. Calif.
    Received an automated phone call from DHL, saying they will attempt a delivery tomorrow.
    Apparently DHL didn't hand-off to USPS, possibly because I am near a DHL hub (LAX airport) -- package shipped direct from UK to LAX.
    The tracking webpage showed the wheelset sailed thru US customs in LA, whereas I've had stuff sit for 3 days at east coast customs.

Insofar as duties & fees, etc, I'll hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
    If it's unacceptable, I suppose I could refuse delivery ... but Wiggle could dock me both directions shipping costs :-(

So. Calif.

Good news ...

... DHL delivered items and No fees! :-D

Ordered last Tuesday, delivered early Friday, total time 72 hours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    I ordered some pedals and brake pads from Wiggle recently and DHL delivered very quick as well. no fees during delivery, but i did get a invoice for duty (GST and PST) and $10 processing fee, in the mail a few weeks later. The purchase was less than $200

[edit] when i say duty, i meant to say i got a bill with taxes. Usually when other delivery companies they charge the taxes and fees on the spot, for example Canada Post. So be prepared for a letter in the mail for money.
    Last edited by marinoni62; 07-19-2013 at 01:27 PM.

So. Calif.
    Quote Originally Posted by marinoni62 View Post
    ... did get a invoice for duty (GST and PST) and $10 processing fee, in the mail a few weeks later. The purchase was less than $200
    Oof! I'll have to watch out for that!

A wheelist
    Quote Originally Posted by marinoni62 View Post
    i did get a invoice for duty (GST and PST)
    Duty is NOT taxes. Taxes are your local retail sales taxes.

Duty - "Customs duty is a kind of indirect tax which is levied on the import and export of goods of international trade. In economic sense, it is also a kind of consumption tax."

It is levied by the government and has nothing to do with any carrier. They just collect it for Customs and forward it to the government on your behalf..
    Mike The Bike's home wheelbuilding info - dedicated to providing Newby wheelbuilder information and motivation.

I'm not cranky; I just have a violent reaction to stupid people.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2009
    oh one more thing, they charged both GST/PST, in BC bicycle parts are PST exempt, so I needed to work it out with DHL. 2 emails to them asking them to review the taxes. In the end I needed to show them that the parts were exempt. So check out what you are paying if you get an invoice.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_h View Post
    The obnoxious behaviour of UPS & Fedex for shipments into the USA is well documented -- they not only collect (sometimes incorrectly) import duties, but also impose absurdly high "brokerage fee" BS.

But what about DHL Express?

Normally when I buy stuff from Wiggle and select the "free shipping" option, it is always shipped via UK's Parcel Force and then handed off to the postal service inside USA (USPS). USPS only once collected duties out of dozens of pruchases, and has never charged "brokerage fees".

However this time, Wiggle shipped via DHL Express, not Parcel Force.

What has been experience with DHL shipping?
    Am I screwed, like I would be with UPS?

Maybe items shipped DHL because it is a high$ wheelset, but I've purchased other wheelsets and they always shipped with ParcelForce.
    You wont be charged anything extra
    Last edited by mtor; 08-14-2013 at 07:02 AM.

So. Calif.

Update ...

Wheelset arrived on July 19.

No duty or fees were imposed by DHL during delivery.
    Today, over 3 weeks later, DHL has not sent any bill for duties & fees.
    Looks like I'm home free :-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mtor View Post
    You wont be charged anything extra
    Disagree, my experience with DHL has been the same as with FedEx or UPS.

I've had three DHL shipments from the Uk to Canada that required duty and brokerage. I've also had two DHL shipments from Rapha that had no charge levied.

So. Calif.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    Disagree, my experience with DHL has been the same as with FedEx or UPS.

I've had three DHL shipments from the Uk to Canada that required duty and brokerage. I've also had two DHL shipments from Rapha that had no charge levied.
    Guess I got lucky (in USA).

Did DHL collect fees at time of delivery, or bill you later?

Seems to me, they lose a lot of leverage if they release the goods without collecting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Four times the item was carded and I went to the DHL depot to pick it up. They wouldn't give me the dutiable packages until I paid. One Rapha order came when I was home but they didn't want any money, just a signature.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Different countries, different govt rules and taxes/duties/customs charges, different levels of enforcement. Like comparing apples to tangerines.
    Swim away fugu fish, swim away!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Guess I got lucky (in USA).

Seems to me, they lose a lot of leverage if they release the goods without collecting.
    I've had DHL deliver items from Europe (clothing), no fees on delivery then send me a bill weeks latter for broker fees.
    Broker fees and duty are not one and the same, Broker fees aren't necessarily transferred to customs, they can be charged for processing the paper work for the items. At this point I stick with USPS.