Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Ebay team kits... what's the scoop?

So... I generally don't buy team kit cycling clothes, but I really like the SKY team kits. I found some really cheap bib and jersey kits on Ebay (out of Asia), but I'm suspicious that this is not the same as the Adidas/Nalini kits being sold on World Cycling Production and ProBikeKit websites. There are subtle visual differences in the kits.

Are these cheap knockoffs or a previous season's kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SKY-CYCLING-JERS...item4cf079e39b
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ebay team kits... what's the scoop?-385317530_o.jpg  
    Attached Images Attached Images  

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't think it can be a previous season. Isn't this Team Sky's first year?

fu
    They're fakes. I got one last year. They're fairly well made though - at least the one I have.

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    Chinese knockoffs...They don't pay royalties or have permission to use the logos...

Some of the ones I've seen are decent quality
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    ah... That's what I was thinking. For $40 bucks, I may try try a kit and see...

I hope there's no radioactive, dioxin-impregnated asbestos in the chamois!

la dolce vita
    Check out the Hot Deals forum. There have been some posts on these, mostly bad. Buyer beware.
    insert witty comment here

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mootsie
    Check out the Hot Deals forum. There have been some posts on these, mostly bad. Buyer beware.
    Wooo... I will check it out. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I observed the "real" Team Sky kits during today's stage (12). The have black, see-thru panels that look like hooker hose. Buy the knock-offs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I own both a Knock off HTC kit from Ebay and I also bought a HTC Jersey from PBK... From my experience the Bibs from Ebay are not worth $10.. The Jersey on the other hand isn't bad. I still think the Genuine stuff is better but at almost double if not more than an Ebay jersey.. The Chamois on my Ebay kit was horrible.. I would buy another Jersey from Ebay but they can keep the bibs... YMMV...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Knockoff!

I can't pass out a good deal so I got myself a Cinelli team kit last week.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Who gives a rats A$$ hell I spend $40 after each ride on beer and chicken nachos, I might jump on the Mellow Johnnies and if they fall apart I can always slap em on Ebay buy it now no refunds>LOLS:

Hail to Mao

http://cgi.ebay.com/MELLOW-JOHNNYS-B...item3a5ce94f34

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Playa
    Who gives a rats A$$ hell I spend $40 after each ride on beer and chicken nachos, I might jump on the Mellow Johnnies and if they fall apart I can always slap em on Ebay buy it now no refunds>LOLS:

Hail to Mao

http://cgi.ebay.com/MELLOW-JOHNNYS-B...item3a5ce94f34
    Lolz... don't forget the Maalox for that post-ride extravaganza.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've purchased two knockoff jerseys from ebay last year. One uses an ok fabric, not the best but pretty good, while the other is made from a very high tech fabric that is perfect for summer riding.
    I have been wearing them for a year and they are both holding up very well. They still look brand new and the construction is of good quality.
    They came in a reasonable time considering shipping from China.
    I'd buy another one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Screw it. I bit the bullet. I've spent way more on expensive cycling kits and bib shorts that were absolute crap after the first ride. I doubt this kit will disappoint me as much as any of the Pearl Izumi and Castelli stuff I've bought.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters
    I've purchased two knockoff jerseys from ebay last year. One uses an ok fabric, not the best but pretty good, while the other is made from a very high tech fabric that is perfect for summer riding.
    I have been wearing them for a year and they are both holding up very well. They still look brand new and the construction is of good quality.
    They came in a reasonable time considering shipping from China.
    I'd buy another one.
    do you recall the seller that sold that piece?
    Ride More Talk Less
    - Caletti Cycles Custom Steel
    - 11 Nashbar Steel CX
    Terminal Pholocity

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I personally think they are a good deal but I didn't like the chamois in the ones I got they felt like I was wearing a diaper...
    I wont hesitate to buy the jersey though
    I'm keeping my freedom, Bible, guns, and money....... You can keep your damn CHANGE.

So, it's okay to buy a known counterfeit product if you're getting a good deal?

It would be okay for e-machines to make and sell "Mac"s as long as the price was great?

I really don't understand people sometimes...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius

It would be okay for e-machines to make and sell "Mac"s as long as the price was great?

Another perspective ... Is it OK for bike apparel/component dealers to charge outrageous prices for jerseys? The typical jersey now costs about $100 retail (or more). A few years ago, you could buy top jerseys for about $60. Despite the recession, prices for bike clothes/gear keep going up, but most of us are not getting pay raises -- if we are lucky to still have a job.

If knock-off jerseys help drive down the ridiculous prices for retail gear, I am all for it. We aren't all made of money.

la dolce vita
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2
    Another perspective ... Is it OK for bike apparel/component dealers to charge outrageous prices for jerseys? The typical jersey now costs about $100 retail (or more). A few years ago, you could buy top jerseys for about $60. Despite the recession, prices for bike clothes/gear keep going up, but most of us are not getting pay raises -- if we are lucky to still have a job.

If knock-off jerseys help drive down the ridiculous prices for retail gear, I am all for it. We aren't all made of money.
    The scales of justice just tipped to the bad guys. I haven't paid full retail for a bike jersey in years and yet I have the "real" deals. Buy closeouts in Fall, buy used on eBay, go to swap meets, go to the outlets, but don't buy clothes that take money out of the pockets of Americans. Conterfeiting is illegal. How hard is it to understand that?

la dolce vita
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius

+ a billion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighter
    do you recall the seller that sold that piece?
    I do not, sorry.

I've no problem buying a knockoff from time to time. I guess I've balanced it out by recently buying a Saxo bank jersey from CC.

Wave, dammit!
    If price is the major concern, I would (and have) bought from someplace like Nashbar or Performance before going the e-bay/counterfeit route.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    If price is the major concern, I would (and have) bought from someplace like Nashbar or Performance before going the e-bay/counterfeit route.
    But you can't be a poseur in a Nashbar jersey...
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Uh Oh fellas, the counterfeit police arrived.... Not only are we supporting pirated goods we are poseurs also.

I also guess it is OK for you to buy a $40 dollar jersey and sell it to me for $90 dollars and then I wont be a posuer? Why not?t I am giving you money, but when I buy that similar $40 dollar jersey that is lasting as long as my Hincapies, Nike, Trek and Giant jerseys (over 3 years) I am bad because I am keeping my money for me and not paying your bills..... Get real....
    Last edited by JimT; 07-17-2010 at 07:36 AM.
    I'm keeping my freedom, Bible, guns, and money....... You can keep your damn CHANGE.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeebus
    Lolz... don't forget the Maalox for that post-ride extravaganza.

AHHAHHAHAHAH

Hey I am not sure if they took this out but if you want the real Mccoy, Probikekit has an additional 10 percent going on right now

type Code TDF10 on your check out

http://www.probikekit.com/index.php

They are very good I purchase all the time from them and they take 7 days to get the Item to you. Their return policy is also Excellent no questions ask as long as its a valid return off course.

Take Care

MidwestPlaya

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast