Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fake Catlike??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Fake Catlike??

My recent ebay browsing has brought me to this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Honeycomb-Shape-...item6b1b682dea

Anyone else see this? For $40 I might be willing to try it out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasC
    For $40 I might be willing to try it out.
    So you're saying that you put style ahead of your personal safety?

banned
    Different strokes for different folks. I would not be caught dead riding with that. It looks fruity with all those colors and not for a man. Looks like something Shirley Temple would wear. Whatever floats your boat.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Well it is claimed to meet the CPSC certification. I was actually just planning to get the white one (if I decided to order it)

Slightly Opinionated
    *sigh*

Yet another chinese counterfeiter on ebay.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

Slightly Opinionated
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous
    Different strokes for different folks. I would not be caught dead riding with that. It looks fruity with all those colors and not for a man. Looks like something Shirley Temple would wear. Whatever floats your boat.
    Um, really?

I've never once heard someone call the World Champion colors "fruity." I think there would be a few folks who would take umbrage at that comment.
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    *sigh*

Yet another chinese counterfeiter on ebay.
    I feel like it will match my fake Pinarello, and also force me to order fake bibs and jersey. Just kidding I was just intrigued at a pretty, $40 helmet. Cracked my Atmos yesterday so I am on the "rebound" stage of odering a new helmet

RoadBikeReview Member
    "Catlike"? What kind of stupid name is that to put on your head?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Not a fan of the design but for the money, why not try it. Doubt you'll endanger your safety at all vs. spending $200 on a helmet. That seems really light too, my specialized is 340+g. If you get it make sure to post up a review.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Well seeing as how my Atmos cracked when my mountain bike lightly fell on it, I am not too concerned as far as safety goes. I will think about it some more and if I get it, I'll post up some pics when I get it.

Slightly Opinionated
    I feel like it will match my fake Pinarello, and also force me to order fake bibs and jersey. Just kidding I was just intrigued at a pretty, $40 helmet. Cracked my Atmos yesterday so I am on the "rebound" stage of odering a new helmet
    Yeowch. Cracking an Atmos is a pricey crack. Hopefully it wasn't on your head when it cracked...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robdamanii
    Yeowch. Cracking an Atmos is a pricey crack. Hopefully it wasn't on your head when it cracked...
    Luckily, it was on the ground right in the perfect spot for my handle bars to land on it! Not really the best reason as to say why my helmet is broken

RoadBikeReview Member
    A little searching on the web and the manufacturer, COSI, seems legit. It appears the helmets carry the appropriate ratings and approvals. I was checking out Catlike helmets at a bike shop just yesterday. The genuine articles are really lightweight and fit me well... and go for $240. Personally, I'm not that crazy about their appearance, though you certainly see them and they stand out of the crowd in the pro peloton.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I bit the bullet and went for it. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it. Hopefully it'll be good. Won't be in the hole too much if it does turn out to be a POS helmet

Masters Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by looigi
    ... Personally, I'm not that crazy about their appearance, though you certainly see them and they stand out of the crowd in the pro peloton.
    Well, sure- what with the fruity colors and not being for a man and all...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    Considering there's usually only one very well known guy wearing the "fruity colours" it's no wonder they stand out.

vexatious enigma
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE
    So you're saying that you put style ahead of your personal safety?
    It is not a matter of safety since all helmets have to pass the exact same safety tests and standards. What a cheap knockoff can get you is poor ventilation and weight.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio
    Unlike Roebuck, you do "do" people.
    Maybe Judas did it for a Klondike bar.

Life in the fast lane with no brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo425
    What a cheap knockoff can get you is poor ventilation and weight.
    Perhaps. If they do a good job of copying the number, size, and shape of the holes and channels, you'd think it'd have very similar ventilation... and probably similar weight as well.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Strictly speaking, it's not "fake" or even "knockoff" because the ad does not contain the word "Catlike." Only the mind of the viewer connects the helmet design with "Catlike," which, of course, is the intent.

BTW, the real Catlike helmets (made in Spain) did not meet CPSC specifications until Catlike just recently made thicker and heavier helmets especially for the U.S. market.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by wim
    Strictly speaking, it's not "fake" or even "knockoff" because the ad does not contain the word "Catlike." Only the mind of the viewer connects the helmet design with "Catlike," which, of course, is the intent.

BTW, the real Catlike helmets (made in Spain) did not meet CPSC specifications until Catlike just recently made thicker and heavier helmets especially for the U.S. market.
    There is another ad that directly says "Catlike Whisper" like helmet. With 39 vents (like the Catlike) and also a similar weight, assumptions can be made.

Here it is. http://cgi.ebay.com/RACE-Road-bike-C...item19c4dabe43
    Last edited by LucasC; 04-25-2011 at 07:17 AM.

banned
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Sisophous
    This coming from the guy who can't spell Sisyphus.

wim
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    There is another ad that directly says "Catlike Whisper" like helmet
    Yes, that one steps over the line. If Speedplay made Catlike helmets, their lawyers would be all over this one....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well it is claimed to meet the CPSC certification.
    Quote Originally Posted by waldo425
    It is not a matter of safety since all helmets have to pass the exact same safety tests and standards. What a cheap knockoff can get you is poor ventilation and weight.
    You are assuming that a knockoff product coming straight from China that claims to have a certain safety certification has actually passed any tests?

A quick Google session will reveal the problem with making that assumption. There are plenty of articles about the cheap electronics (complete with fake UL sticker) that quickly fail, or catch fire. Or the fake circuit breakers and receptacles that don't work. Or numerous other products from China with fake labels and certifications.

It seems like it would be difficult to screw up a chunk of Styrofoam, but since my helmet has kept me living through a few accidents, I'm not sure I would risk it.
    Cervelo Soloist Carbon / Look 585 / Look 555 / Redline Conquest Pro / Kona Kapu / Santa Cruz Blur / Torker U-District / Custom fixie

http://www.BloggersInc.com/CycloPath/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChilliConCarnage
    You are assuming that a knockoff product coming straight from China that claims to have a certain safety certification has actually passed any tests?

A quick Google session will reveal the problem with making that assumption. There are plenty of articles about the cheap electronics (complete with fake UL sticker) that quickly fail, or catch fire. Or the fake circuit breakers and receptacles that don't work. Or numerous other products from China with fake labels and certifications.

It seems like it would be difficult to screw up a chunk of Styrofoam, but since my helmet has kept me living through a few accidents, I'm not sure I would risk it.

Alright, alright we'll just see how it is when it get's to me. Already shipped and on its way

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    I bit the bullet and went for it. I'll be sure to post pics when I get it. Hopefully it'll be good. Won't be in the hole too much if it does turn out to be a POS helmet
    Are you sure? Hmm, if it turns out to be a POS helmet you will be in a big hole, a six foot deep one at that!!!!

But hey, it's your noggin...good luck!

It just gets me how people can spend money on overpriced tires, wheels, frames but then cheap out when protecting their brains!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast