RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006

FSA RD-200 Wheelset Warning

I saw Nashbar had the FSA RD-200 wheelset for $200. Sounds like a hot deal but I've broken two spokes after only three months. I ride on good roads and the spokes broke while riding easy, one on the rear wheel, second on the front. Rims appear weak, one broken spoke almost kept me from riding it home. Spokes are accessed through the rim so on-the-road repairs (with a special spoke wrench FSA provides) is a real pain. Bike shop tried to get spokes for weeks, finally got some, at $5 each!

Squish Mitten
    Quote Originally Posted by Renderdog
    I saw Nashbar had the FSA RD-200 wheelset for $200. Sounds like a hot deal but I've broken two spokes after only three months. I ride on good roads and the spokes broke while riding easy, one on the rear wheel, second on the front. Rims appear weak, one broken spoke almost kept me from riding it home. Spokes are accessed through the rim so on-the-road repairs (with a special spoke wrench FSA provides) is a real pain. Bike shop tried to get spokes for weeks, finally got some, at $5 each!
    I have these wheels with close to 1000 miles on them and they have stayed true and no broken spokes. Maybe you got a bum pair?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by propp2531
    I have these wheels with close to 1000 miles on them and they have stayed true and no broken spokes. Maybe you got a bum pair?
    One spoke would be okay but two is suspicious, especially a front. While I've only had them for a few months I probably have over 2,000 miles on them. I weight 155 and ride on good roads so they've not been abused. I hope yours hold up, so far dealing with FSA has been a real pain.

Mark

RoadBikeReview Member
    FSA wheels suck all the way around. I went through 3 pairs of 400s in less than 8 months. After the final pair gave out, I gave up and went back to Mavic.

All three of my wheelsets had the rear wheel go bad. Two were rims problems and the last was a broken hub flange.
    Pretty much here just to piss you off...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005

Thumbs up

One spoke would be okay but two is suspicious, especially a front. While I've only had them for a few months I probably have over 2,000 miles on them. I weight 155 and ride on good roads so they've not been abused. I hope yours hold up, so far dealing with FSA has been a real pain.

Mark
    I have the same wheels with 3000 miles plus and my 230 lb heft on them. Still straight and true. Must be a bad apple in the bunch.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Similar to what merckx56 stated, I had the rd400's twice because of a team mass order of them, both sets had bad rear hubs and our whole team ended up sending them all back. Two thumbs down for these wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2005
    Bought a pair of RD-200's last fall for winter beater wheels. I've had no problems with mine so far. I'm 150 lbs. They are nice looking wheels for sub $200.

Uri nara manse.
    I weigh 195 pounds and have ridden over 600 miles on a 2000-mile used set, including about 400 miles I rode in Virginia (crappy roads), and my wheels are only slightly out of true after those more than 600 miles. The original owner told me the spokes are original. The wheels are great.
    ____o^o__o^o__o^o____o^o___o^o___________

Visit my shop for cool cycling shirts: the Q factory. More designs to be added later.

Check out my blog

“Don’t hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep.” - Theodore Roosevelt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Tried contacting FSA again, received a reply this time... turns out if the RD-200 serial numbers are below 22000 (mine are) FSA will replace the wheels due to "annoying spoke breakage." Nice, though shipping the wheels cost me $30 (I requested a shipping label which they ignored).

I'll post an update when I receive the replacement wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2006
    Got the replacement wheels in the mail. They looked a little beat up, scratched spokes and dusty, but they're true and ride fine. Hopefully I won't break any spokes for at least a year or two.

RoadBikeReview Member

I had RD400 for 2 yrs with NO issues or truing needed...

These were the second run of RD-400 wheels. They had B/W graphics instead of Blak/red/white.

Call FSA and tell them the wheels they sent you were used and your want a RA lablel. I have dealing with them for 4 yrs and have NOTHING but the best Customer Service.

My RD-400 where really nice and ride so smooth. I sold them only because I went to a Campy set-up and my need wheels were cheaper and lighter.

Sure the RD-200 are budget wheels, but I use other 'Budget" stuff from FSA and iI am very happy with them.

Again, I would call not e-mail them and be sincere.
    DIRT BOY

"Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin

Defender of Freedom...

+1 Second Generation RD 400s..

Quote Originally Posted by DIRT BOY
    These were the second run of RD-400 wheels. They had B/W graphics instead of Blak/red/white.
    I have a set of 400s that I rode for a year and put on my wife's bike as her primary wheelset. Over 2000k miles with zero problems. They are fast, and have stayed 100% true.
    It never gets easier. You just go faster. Greg LeMond

johnny99
    Apr 2004
    Tried contacting FSA again, received a reply this time... turns out if the RD-200 serial numbers are below 22000 (mine are) FSA will replace the wheels due to "annoying spoke breakage." Nice, though shipping the wheels cost me $30 (I requested a shipping label which they ignored).
    The problem applies to RD400 wheels as well. I broke spokes on both wheels. E-mailed FSA and got a reply back from Ric Hjertberg himself. He said rims with serial numbers before 22000 were drilled improperly, causing spokes to break. I shipped back the wheels (only $15 for me via USPS parcel post) and Ric said he was sending brand new wheels that are "foolproof and will last forever". We'll see.