RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007

Fugujack price ??

Any good deals on the Assos Fugujack winter jacket? Seems the prices some are asking for are absurd?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    They can be had for $425 new on eBay. I've met this guy personally at a bike show and he's legit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:FSEL:US:1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by farawayrider
    Any good deals on the Assos Fugujack winter jacket? Seems the prices some are asking for are absurd?
    Have a look at the Hincapie Force. It retails at $250, sells on eBay for around $100, not any on there right now though. It is warm and suprisingly breathable. Nice reflective piping too.

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by heliskyr
    They can be had for $425 new on eBay. I've met this guy personally at a bike show and he's legit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ME:B:FSEL:US:1
    $425 for a cycling jacket? It better zip itself for that price
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I don't own one myself, but have tried them on. *Very nice* fit and Assos quality is without peer. Plus I love the Euro fit that you get with Assos. That being said, I'm a huge fan of my Assos Airblock jacket (which was a lot cheaper) for temps 35-45F as long as it's not raining hard. That's when the fujujack would be better as it has full coverage of the airblock fabric.

It is a lot of money, no question. Then again, if it gets you on the bike on days you wouldn't normally ride, maybe it's worth it?

Cat 6 rider
    Quote Originally Posted by heliskyr
    It is a lot of money, no question. Then again, if it gets you on the bike on days you wouldn't normally ride, maybe it's worth it?
    You can get a nice set of rollers for that price, which you can use in any weather- not as much fun as actually riding, though.
    To the troll mobile, away...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    That is true. I have rollers and a fluid trainer, and no matter how hard I ride indoors I always am more satisfied after a ride outside...

Though here in Seattle, sometimes that requires major force of will to roll outside in the pouring rain and cold.... which is why I have the rollers and the fluid trainer! The right clothes can make it a little more tolerable though.

It would be nice if the Assos stuff cleaned your bike after a ride in the rain. Then it would REALLY be worth the $$!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2003

have one in my closet--where do you ride?

Although it may be the gator--predecessor to fugu. I also live in the seattle area (west side of the sound)--never use it here. used it in DC for sub-20 degree F rides with salt-melt on the roads (car spray, not rain). The jacket is thick and warm--too warm. even at 15-18 degrees it was hot. I can't imagine using it in wet weather because then it is by defintition warmer or else it would be snow.

Essentially I found it was a perfect thing for super cold rides--blocks wind completely. I used it with a coolmax t-shirt at 12 degrees in DC--that was warm once i warmed up. I could have ridden forever except my feet can't last at those temps.

If you are in the single digits to teens it is great, but even then you could get a wind/waterproof jacket for far less and layer under it. Down into the 20s here i use a descente element jacket--vented full length on the sleeves and back vent too--wear a single long sleeve jersey (thin or thick depending on the temp). 20s is pretty rare, but after 10 minutes i am comfy. was worried rain would get in the sleeve vents, but so far i have been fine.

jim

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I've always found that it wasn't the jacket (or pants) that kept me from riding in the cold. I never had a problem keeping the chest area warm. I find it is usually the face, hands and feet that are the limiting factor.
    I think the reasons for getting a fugu, if you can afford it, are:
    super nice looking
    super quality
    super fit - *** Note, that if you are fat, and I don't mean 40" waist fat, I mean if you are in the 5'8 to 6' area, and have a 34 - 36 waist, you might not be so comfy in assos clothing.
    Similar for upper body. If you have a lot of muscle (or fat) on the upper body, the chest won't fit you well, and the size you'll need to fit around your chest (even a 42 chest) will likely have arms that are way too long for you.

Cheers

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gibson00
    super fit - *** Note, that if you are fat, and I don't mean 40" waist fat, I mean if you are in the 5'8 to 6' area, and have a 34 - 36 waist, you might not be so comfy in assos clothing.
    Similar for upper body. If you have a lot of muscle (or fat) on the upper body, the chest won't fit you well, and the size you'll need to fit around your chest (even a 42 chest) will likely have arms that are way too long for you.

Cheers
    I wish more clothes were like that. Whenever I get anything long enough (sleeves and core) its always has way too much room in the body. Very few people sell medium tall stuff

2k2
    Sober Budwiser Clydesdale