Thread: Garmin 1030

RoadBikeReview Member

Garmin 1030

If you are a leaders club member at Westernbikeworks.com you can get the Garmin 1030 today for $509 - mine should be here Monday. Might be able to get it for the same price if you aren't a club member and call them.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    I got one a few weeks ago for $480 from the Trek Bicycle Superstore using code THANKS20

RoadBikeReview Member
    I tried to use that code there and it didn't work for me for some reason.

RoadBikeReview Member
    They must blocked it. I ordered one on a Friday within 5 minutes of getting the email promo. So they probably excluded Garmin and probably some other stuff once they noticed orders being made.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I must have typed the code on wrong, looks like it's working now, thats a great deal, how do you like yours so far?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like the slightly bigger screen and better resolution compared to the 1000. Havenít tried any of the new features. It hooked up to my iPhone and all my different bike sensors and power meters without any drama. So far so good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great, will be interested to see how it compares with the 510 and 820 screens - I have both and they seem to be fine for my use but the larger screen for Navigation should be much better I think/hope. Sold a 500 for $100 right after I ordered the 1030, took all of 4 hours to find a buyer on our local facebook bike parts board.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Well, Westernbikeworks has the 1030 on sale now for $449.99 - Smoking deal, and what's better they just refunded my credit card for the $60 difference I paid - 30 day price guarantee. They also have some other great deal now.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Good for you, Western is a good company/shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Well, Westernbikeworks has the 1030 on sale now for $449.99 - Smoking deal, and what's better they just refunded my credit card for the $60 difference I paid - 30 day price guarantee. They also have some other great deal now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    For new 1030 owners, I bought a Tuff-Luv Silicone case that provides more protection than the Garmin version. The case is well made and the fit is good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Also for new 1030 Owners, the K-Edge XL mount will work with it but it will put the computer closer to the bars than the Garmin outfront mount it comes with. Not a problem on some bikes, but others may find the cables are a bit of an issue to manage. It works on my gravel bike with Di2, not as well on the cable shifted road bike, I'd have to extend the housings a bit on it probably.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    Question for 1030 owners. I'm considering the upgrade from an 810.

is the battery life as advertised. according to spec i should expect 3 hours additional use
    also the 1030 has an optional case. Something new. No case for the 810. Is it needed?

Considering the upgrade for the extra battery life and for elevation data that works better in the rain(810 altimeter hole is in a bad location). Thx

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trek_5200 View Post
    Question for 1030 owners. I'm considering the upgrade from an 810.

is the battery life as advertised. according to spec i should expect 3 hours additional use
    also the 1030 has an optional case. Something new. No case for the 810. Is it needed?

Considering the upgrade for the extra battery life and for elevation data that works better in the rain(810 altimeter hole is in a bad location). Thx
    I have had great battery life as long as I am not running the backlight. Navigation on much of the time on an 8 hour ride and I had about 65% battery left. Of course there's now way of me knowing if that falls off linearly. I used it on a ride twice that long with the battery pack and the back light on full and it had plenty of juice at the end. I don't remember how much exactly, was too tired to pay much attention to it when i turned it off.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    came yesteray. did a short test ride. will do a longer one saturday. so far looks nice, but still more used to the 810.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I found the menu on the 1030 much more intuitive after I got used to it - I would always look at feedback on the firmware before upgrading to newer versions if you are not having problems with the way it works. I'm on 3.9 now and works great, no issues. 4.0 has been reported to have some issues. I was running it for a while and didn't have any problems but went back to 3.9 prior to an ultra endurance event just to be safe since there were others having issues with 4.0
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    First long day in the saddle with the 1030. Other than the lap feature annoying me every 5 miles until I turned it off everything went well. I was pleasantly surprised that after 9.5 hours on the bike I still had roughly 65% battery reserve. Seems like Garmin fixed one annoyance with my old 810 where you can recover if you accidentally terminate a ride. The display is better but the functionality is mostly the same. I still haven't followed a route, that will be next. Is it worth the money? Probably not. But this was never a rational purchase nor was it intended as such.

RoadBikeReview Member
    First long day in the saddle with the 1030. Other than the lap feature annoying me every 5 miles until I turned it off everything went well. I was pleasantly surprised that after 9.5 hours on the bike I still had roughly 65% battery reserve. Seems like Garmin fixed one annoyance with my old 810 where you can recover if you accidentally terminate a ride. The display is better but the functionality is mostly the same. I still haven't followed a route, that will be next. Is it worth the money? Probably not. But this was never a rational purchase nor was it intended as such.
    You'll find route calculation is much faster.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    You'll find route calculation is much faster.
    on the 810 i have that feature turned off. i want to stay on the planned route. friend on strava says there's a bug on turn by turn. i have yet to google it

RoadBikeReview Member
    on the 810 i have that feature turned off. i want to stay on the planned route. friend on strava says there's a bug on turn by turn. i have yet to google it
    I was talking about the first calculation not the reroute. Haven't had any issues with turn by turn, but it might be dependent on the source/format for the map too.
    Gravel Rocks

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2013
    I was talking about the first calculation not the reroute. Haven't had any issues with turn by turn, but it might be dependent on the source/format for the map too.
    can't wait to try. i was thinking the 810 microprocessor must be ancient.