Life Coach

Angry Garmin Screwed Up - Then owned up!!!

**Update Garmin has rescinded cancellation**
    See my newest post...

Anyone else jump on one of the deals Garmin had on their website yesterday? I'm thinking I have an Edge 810 performance/navigation bundle coming in a few days for Father's Day and I get a cancellation email this morning...

Dear Valued Customer,

Saturday morning, Garmin.com experienced a pricing error that affected some items on the site and your order has been cancelled. We apologize for this inconvenience.

As a valued customer, your business is very important to us. It's our hope to be given the opportunity to serve you again as a Garmin customer.

Garmin

It's your hope to serve me again????? You've served me squatosis!! The bundle was slashed to $384.99. In fact all computers were discounted. I'm sure they were puzzled by the sudden increase in web sales yesterday. Well...Happy Father's Day peeps!!
    Last edited by Sully00; 06-18-2013 at 12:04 PM. Reason: update
    2013 Felt Z85 ~ Mavic Kysrium Elite S

F@t B@st@rd
    Apr 2010
    I'd be willing to bet that there are one or two less Garmin employees today...

What did you say? Huh?
    Guess what...every web company cancels orders when they mis-list a price.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    There was some sort of screw up and just about every item in their webstore was discounted 45% for several hours.
    Joe
    2009 Felt Z35
    2008 Cannondale F5

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    Let me ask you a question.

If you had bought one at regular price, accidentally ordered three instead of one, and sent them an email saying "hey, I only meant to buy one" how would you like them to respond to your mistake?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    If there was a really hot deal (even if it was a mistake) yesterday why didn't you post it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Must be a day for data base screw ups :-(
    As you certainly noticed, RBR has some problems too with their DB.

Short legs spinnin' fast
    Dec 2007

Garmin Screw Up - Won't Honor Price

I understand it's frustrating, but mistakes happen, even from companies. I can understand irritation if they made a small mistake, like a 10-20% discount in error and didn't honor it, but 45% is huge (likely wholesale pricing). I like a little understanding when I make harmless mistakes and don't see the difference when a corporation does the same.

They've also got vendors to also think about; it would be pretty harmful to those relationships if Garmin undercut the pricing their vendors can offer by selling direct at significantly lower pricing.

Short legs spinnin' fast
    Dec 2007

I understand it's frustrating, but mistakes happen, even from companies. I can understand irritation if they made a small mistake, like a 10-20% discount in error and didn't honor it, but 45% is huge (likely wholesale pricing). I like a little understanding when I make harmless mistakes and don't see the difference when a corporation does the same.

They've also got vendor relationships to also think about; it would be pretty harmful to those relationships if Garmin undercut the pricing their vendors can offer by selling direct at significantly lower pricing.

Life Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by masont View Post
    Let me ask you a question.

If you had bought one at regular price, accidentally ordered three instead of one, and sent them an email saying "hey, I only meant to buy one" how would you like them to respond to your mistake?
    I probably wouldn't do that, but if I did, I would expect them to refund me the money for the two...They would still hold on to that stock which would most likely be sold to someone else...and they would accept my money (mark-up) for the original because I'm the customer.

Quote Originally Posted by sheepherder View Post
    If there was a really hot deal (even if it was a mistake) yesterday why didn't you post it?
    Never thought about posting it in this forum. My original post was moved here by a moderator. I'll post the next price screw up though.

I know companies have every right to do what they did. My wife works in corporate retail so I've heard all the stories. I was just curious to see if any other RBR'ers ordered anything from Garmin as well because there entire site was discounted. I'm sure I'll be a Garmin customer in the future but how about throwing us a bone like free shipping on your next order or something simple like that?

Life Coach
    I received this email today. All I can say is WOW...Way to go above and beyond to satisfy the customer, Garmin!!!!!

Dear Valued Customer,

We made a mistake, and we owe you an explanation and an apology.
    You recently placed an order on a day when prices were displaying incorrectly on our website. We canceled your order when we realized there was a problem with our pricing.

We understand how frustrating this must have been. We're sorry for canceling your order. We would like to make it right by placing your order again, just as if it was never canceled.

We regret the mix-up and hope you enjoy the products that you will receive. To review your order, sign in to your account. If you do not want to have the order placed again, please email websales@garmin.com or call 1-800-800-1020.

Garmin

Cranky Old Bastard
    Will they let you buy a dozen???
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

Short legs spinnin' fast
    Dec 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Sully00 View Post
    I received this email today. All I can say is WOW...Way to go above and beyond to satisfy the customer, Garmin!!!!!

Dear Valued Customer,

We made a mistake, and we owe you an explanation and an apology.
    You recently placed an order on a day when prices were displaying incorrectly on our website. We canceled your order when we realized there was a problem with our pricing.

We understand how frustrating this must have been. We're sorry for canceling your order. We would like to make it right by placing your order again, just as if it was never canceled.

We regret the mix-up and hope you enjoy the products that you will receive. To review your order, sign in to your account. If you do not want to have the order placed again, please email websales@garmin.com or call 1-800-800-1020.

Garmin
    Wow. That is an incredible service play on their part. I bet the pricing was accidentally listed as wholesale. They've procured some "lifer" customers now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love it when companies provide excellent service. They probably did not lose any money on their end and they gained some long-term customers at the same time. Nice!