Thread: Opera Canova

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008

Opera Canova

The Opera Canova frame has been showing up on bonktown.com at around $1,200.

I almost pulled the trigger this morning, but I'm having trouble justifying a replacement for my nine year old Litespeed. (I have a few grams I can shave off my belly before I start worrying about frame weight!)

After watching for this frame all of last week, I had second thoughts when, yesterday, a stranger said how much he admired my Litespeed. The Canova sounds like a great frame at an incredible price, but I guess it's not really a deal unless I actually need it.

Anyway, it'll probably show up again soon - just in case anyone's interested.

flinty-eyed moderator
    up again.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    Arrrgggghhhh!

That darn frame keeps popping up. At $1,157 with a retail price of $2,700 and favorably compared to similar Pinarellos at much higher prices, this is hard to resist!

When I saw it come up again, I turned to my wife and said, "Maybe I should just order it to make sure I have the option." "I can always return it if I need to."

She replied, "Great, I'll do the same thing with the Audi I test drove last week."

I need advice - is changing from my older Litespeed with Campy to a Canova with similar parts really going to be significantly different? Or, is it just an $1,157 placebo?

Arrrgggghhhh! And I even like the colors!

flinty-eyed moderator
    Different- yes. Better- ??
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2008
    One can always use a second bike in the stable. Down for maintenance? No problem, Lets ride!

Descender
    Oct 2005
    More placebo effeect than anything.

The Litespeed can take the abuse and perform well. A good bike to keep regardless of wht other bikes you have. It can take the weather and not corrode. It will perform at as high a level as you can put it through.

If you want a second bike - buy the Opera - but as a replacement it will not be all that much different. It may feel different when riding, it may handle differently, it may be stiffer or not. But your performance overall will not change much because of the new frame - back to the engine (you), not the shell.