RoadBikeReview Member

Planet X Model B Wheelset - $139

1650 gram wheelset for $139...

Planet X Model B wheelset - 700c

I ordered a set after reading mostly positive reviews...will see how they turn out. Should have them in my hands within week's end.

30 mpdb
    I've had my eye on these, but I've been wondering about the rim joint (welded / pinned / sleeved). Let us know when they arrive!

BONC founding member
    Jan 2009
    I've been rocking these wheels for over two years, about 4k on one bike (yes, the family rides on more than one set). I weigh over two hundred at moment, and the hubs have been stellar. I generally build my own but when a build is going on for another bike -to get somebody else cruising the road, it is hard to pass these up.

BONC founding member
    Jan 2009
    here they are in black ano
    The nonwelded joint is decent-

RoadBikeReview Member
    Just received these at my door today. Initial quality check seems ok. Put them on the truing stand and they are reasonably true. Maybe a millimeter off in one section per wheel. Nothing that you'd notice without a truing stand. Spoke tension on rear is very uniform--spot on in fact. Spoke tension on front is a little off on a 2-3 spokes, but nothing crazy. Will check them again after the first ride and re-tension if needed. Hubs are very smooth. The freewheel mech is loud--not as loud as King, but not quiet like Mavic. I pulled the cassette body off thinking maybe the pawls were dry. They weren't--they were lightly greased as you would expect. Springs probably just need some wearing in.

Rim joint is very clean--I've used high quality sleeved rims before (e.g. Velocity) and wasn't expecting these to be a problem. They certainly don't look like they will be--very smooth and nicely machined.

Wheel weights are as advertised. Front and rear each weighed 10 grams over what was stated, but that was including the rim strip that was pre-installed (and free, btw), so I figure 950 front, 700 rear is about right, give or take a few grams.

Skewers seems pretty nice quality. 120 grams for the pair--not light, but the lever action is smooth and they look well built.

Wasn't expecting decals, but they are subtle. I will probably remove eventually, but they're not too over the top.

So far, for $140, not bad. Need to put some miles on them to really judge.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Planet X Model B Wheelset - 9-dsc06703.jpg   Planet X Model B Wheelset - 9-dsc06707.jpg  
    Last edited by turbomatic73; 09-01-2012 at 12:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by turbomatic73 View Post

Wheel weights are as advertised. Front and rear each weighed 10 grams over what was stated, but that was including the rim strip that was pre-installed (and free, btw), so I figure 950 front, 700 rear is about right, give or take a few grams.

So far, for $140, not bad. Need to put some miles on them to really judge.
    Those looks like really nice wheels for the money. I think you got your front/rear weights mixed up though.
    2003 Pegoretti Luigino & Fina Estampa | 2012 Scott Scale Elite

30 mpdb
    Thanks grandsalmon & turbomatic for the all the pics - I really appreciate it. These look to be an excellent value at ~$170 shipped.

I started to think (usually a bad thing) and convinced myself if I'm going to spend the money, may as well go for semi-broke... So I just ordered a set of Fulcrum Racing 5s for ~$80 more. If I didn't run across the Fulcrums, I probably would have pulled the trigger on these.