RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011

Ridiculous R&A Cycles Blowout Sale

Some of these prices are pretty amazing.

https://www.racycles.com/ra/final-call
    Every climb has its end, for verily with difficulty there is relief...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Equally ridiculous is having 10+ year old stock. I admit that there are certainly deals to be had (if they have your size), but I'd recommend people consider carefully before buying from them. Do your research...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wetworks View Post
    Equally ridiculous is having 10+ year old stock. I admit that there are certainly deals to be had (if they have your size), but I'd recommend people consider carefully before buying from them. Do your research...
    They are one of the biggest online bike retailers in the country. Their competitors like Wiggle and Competitive Cyclist also often carry old inventory as well. Every bike shop has to have your size for a sale to be made. I have bought components from them before and had no problem. Maybe it would help if you share the dangers you are alluding to.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 05:32 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashadabd View Post
    They are once of the biggest online bike retailers in the country. Their competitors like Wiggle and Competitive Cyclist also often carry old inventory as well. Every bike shop has to have your size for a sale to be made. I have bought components from them before and had no problem. Maybe it would help if you share the dangers you are alluding to.
    Their competitors carry 15 year old bikes? I had no idea. Every bike shop doesn't have to have your size for a sale to be made, they simply must be able to obtain it. I think we can agree that having a 48 De Rosa or 61 Pinarello from 2010 isn't necessarily a sure-fire sale; there's a reason they've sat on the proverbial shelf for so long. So, again, if they have your size there are certainly deals to be had, but it's a small market.

I've gone there before for bike purchases, selected what I want, haggled for price, only to be downsold(?) into a previous year's leftover (pattern here?). I also feel that the attitude of some employees doesn't lend itself to bringing repeat business. Granted, the same complaint can be made of many a LBS, but I'm not alone in that general sentiment where R&A are concerned. That's why I go to one of their Brooklyn competitors.

To each their own. If you've had good experiences with them, then you should share, just as someone who hasn't had the same experience.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Their competitors carry 15 year old bikes? I had no idea. Every bike shop doesn't have to have your size for a sale to be made, they simply must be able to obtain it. I think we can agree that having a 48 De Rosa or 61 Pinarello from 2010 isn't necessarily a sure-fire sale; there's a reason they've sat on the proverbial shelf for so long. So, again, if they have your size there are certainly deals to be had, but it's a small market.

I've gone there before for bike purchases, selected what I want, haggled for price, only to be downsold(?) into a previous year's leftover (pattern here?). I also feel that the attitude of some employees doesn't lend itself to bringing repeat business. Granted, the same complaint can be made of many a LBS, but I'm not alone in that general sentiment where R&A are concerned. That's why I go to one of their Brooklyn competitors.

To each their own. If you've had good experiences with them, then you should share, just as someone who hasn't had the same experience.
    Fair enough. Before you engage any shop, I think it's in your best interest to have the best idea you can about what you want, why, and what you can afford to spend. I also think it's always a good idea to compare prices/experiences at a couple of shops. That being said, some of these prices are great for what you are getting (regardless of model year) and they have always seemed like they are within the realm of normal practices when I have engaged them.

I think we just have to agree to disagree on what is and isn't a bargain. There are a bunch of people out there that have always wanted a Dogma or Bianchi, but it has never been in the budget. They don't care about the year as much, so long as it's new and rides well. For those people, (the ones that might otherwise buy used or off of ebay), being able to get a new Orca or Dogma, etc. for a fraction of the price is an incredible deal and they won't lose any sleep over it being a 2013 or or 2015 at all. Same for the guy who can now get a FS MTB and the price of a HT, or the person that gets to buy a nice carbon road frame for $800 instead of an alloy one, etc. Those are values for people. They may not be for you, but I know a number of people (some of them on here) that would be really interested in deals like that.

Like you said, to each his own though.
    Last edited by Rashadabd; 1 Week Ago at 07:26 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2016
    A shop can end up with new old stock because they won’t sell below their cost, which is greater than the decreasing value of the bike, and worsens every year. Eventually the shop cuts their losses.

Forever a Student
    Check out Gita Bike's stock if you want to see some older stuff for sale, some shops are stingy. Looks like R&A might have been stingy... until their "partners" decided nope.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'd go without before spending as much as $.01 with them. I purchased some bibs though their website and it turned out they didn't actually have them to sell. Fine, stuff happens, but the incredible rudeness and misinformation that followed assured I'd never deal with them under any circumstances.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I've never had any dealings with R&A, but their reputation is notorious.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I've never had any dealings with R&A, but their reputation is notorious.
    Hey, then I guess you shouldn't buy there. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion. I guess to me, warranty issues aside, I am far more focused on the bike I am getting and the price it is at than I am the shop I am buying at, especially when shopping online. I guess in the back of my mind I always know that I can frequent and get my service done at any shop I want to anyway. It might cost me a bit more, but if the deal on the bike or component I am considering is huge, then I have no qualms about buying at different places unless I have concerns about getting a quality product and/or what I actually expected. In essence, if R&A has a product I really want at a price that works for me, I am not going to lose a lot sleep over the fact that they aren't all that charming. I want the bike, period. It's about riding to me, not shop based friendships. If I lived in NY, and I was looking for a place to frequent, that might be a different story. I certainly have my favorite shops here in Atlanta, but that has nothing to do with the bikes they sell. If I don't want a Specialized or Trek, I buy what I want/can afford elsewhere and pay them to work on it, etc. I try to buy what I can from the shops I like, but I don't let their inventories limit my options. The reverse makes just as much sense to me I suppose.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    They've got a Colnago GEO EPS on sale for $2500. I always regretted not getting a fancy paint job like that when I got my C-40 back years ago (I went with OOF). And I suppose if I lived in NYC, I might be tempted to go down there and look at it. But for all the complaints I hear about their customer service, I'd never buy it sight unseen. What if it arrives scratched, or missing the seat post? Sorry, all sales are final.

Reputations are earned, and they certainly have one. .

And I'm not the 'love my LBS' guy. I have one I use, but I've never bought a bike from them -- they sell Trek and Specialized mostly. I do buy other things from them and have on several occasions paid them to assemble a bike (I buy my frames and parts separately). They do a nice job and I think the mechanics get a kick out of working on bikes that aren't so mundane.