So. Calif.

Thumbs up Saris / Powertap Service

Wanted to give Saris a for their service.

I have an 18 month old Powertap hub laced into a custom wheel.

Power reading was getting erratic, I contacted Saris, and they said to send it in for a warranty service, even though it's 6 mos out of warranty. Did not ask for proof of purchase, etc.

Probably about 10-12 days before I get it back, hopefully the problem is identified and fixed.

My 1-way shipping cost from CA to WI (+ insurance) was $19 with Fedex ground, with 4 days transit. 2 or 3 day service jumps to nearly $100, no thanks !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2008
    I will echo Tom's sentiments. I recently had some issues with my powertap pro+ zeroing at strange numbers (well out of range) and giving intermittent data drops (some just a single data point, but in the worst case it blacked out for several days). I returned it under warranty and it was completely replaced with a brand new unit. all up, including shipping to and from Australia it took about 3 weeks.

very happy with them, if only the thing hadn't broken in the first place ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Just an extra data note. I had a Fluid 2 Trainer that I was selling last winter. I never really liked it as it was too noisy. A potential buyer asked if it made a certain noise like rattling bearings which it did as I guess it was a problem some of the units had.

Quick email to Saris, shipped the unit to them, shipped me a brand new unit back. No questions asked. No questions where I got it from (ebay) or when, etc.

Ran into the Saris rep a few months later and he thought I was crazy thinking anything less. Sure I'd rather the stuff didn't break in the first place but that's great service.

-Steve in NJ

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I have two bikes with PowerTap hubs. Most recently I transferred my original 2007 PowerTap to a new Moots I was building. I attempted to sync my Garmin 800 (ANT +) with that hub in question. After some time and exhaustive troubleshooting on my own I called Saris and was informed that I would need to perform a firmware upgrade to my hub, they shipped the upgrade to me for $119. It took about five minutes to perform the upgrade and voila - my hub is now a 2.4+ vs. a plain 2.4. They even sent a new hub cover to denote the 2.4+. Great service, great solutions and great product!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2006
    I've always had good luck for Saris. I had a 3 year old Powertap in major need of an overhaul (lost track of miles and was used for commuting in snow, etc.). They basically installed a brand new hub (axle, bearings, etc.) in my old shell for just a few hundred dollars. Much cheaper than buying a new one!