RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Selling a 2002 road bike, no idea what it's worth, how/where to get an appraisal?

Hi all, I'm selling my 2002 Giant TCR2 road bike, but it's such an old model I haven't found any for sale on the net that I can use as a baseline for pricing it. Any suggestions for how to figure out roughly how much it's worth? Thanks!

dan5472
    3-4-5 pic's, all in focus, and be honest as to its condition, and I think the folks who own Giants will chime in with their opinions. Worth a shot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    If I were looking to buy a bike that old (which I have), I'd be looking for a bike that looked very good/nearly new, had little use for its age (plenty of life left in components) and was at most 1/3 what a similar new bike would cost. If it was beat up, the components scratched up, or even just "normally used" by someone who rode a lot in the past 8 years, I personally wouldn't consider it, but if I did, it wouldn't be worth much.

Based on my experience, that's a pretty good assessment of the market.

You can also get an idea of the market value by looking for comparables on ebay. Not necessarily that exact bike, or even a Giant, but a bike that was similar in quality frame and fork, similar component group and wheels, a year or two older or newer. Don't forget to compare the wheels, this (to me) should and can make a couple hundred or more difference in value between two otherwise similar bikes. Many people keep the original wheels if they're pretty good and put cheap ones on bikes being sold on ebay. Not that they're bad wheels, just not worth as much. So, be careful in making your comparisons.

This will get you an idea from which you just have to set a price and see if it sells. If it doesn't, you just have to lower the price regardless of what you think it's worth! This isn't like cars where there are pretty consistent values from place to place and a fairly objective way of setting price (NADA, etc.) With bikes you just have to make your best guess at what you think you'd be happy getting, and start there. But it's only worth what someone will pay for it and nothing you can do will change that regardless of how much you think it's worth. Most people have pretty unrealistic ideas of what their used stuff should be worth and rigidly adhere to that and get pissed when people aren't willing to pay it or get offended by low offers.

People looking at used bikes are looking for a really, really good price, or something they just can't find new, period imho.

If it were me, I'd try about 30% of what a similar new one would cost and see if it sells. I would consider myself to be very, very lucky to get that. Then I'd go from there.
    Last edited by Camilo; 12-01-2010 at 09:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Camilo

People looking at used bikes are looking for a really, really good price, or something they just can't find new, period imho.
    I don't think you are supposed to put anything after period, I believe that ends the sentence.

As to the subject at hand, the nicer the picture are the more you will get. I would suspect you could get about 40% of the original cost. You could get more if you wait until the spring to sell as more people are looking for bikes then.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jellis25
    I don't think you are supposed to put anything after period, I believe that ends the sentence.
    crap, there goes the whole post!

Quote Originally Posted by jellis25
    ...As to the subject at hand, the nicer the picture are the more you will get. I would suspect you could get about 40% of the original cost. You could get more if you wait until the spring to sell as more people are looking for bikes then.
    This is about what I think too, which probably would be closer to 30% of a current price, 8 years later, for a similar bike.

Anyway, in the end, all ya can do is try to sell it for what you think it's worth and go from there. I'm always amazed what people pay for stuff like components and wheels on ebay - people obviously don't research what they can get stuff for new from discount online or ebay sellers, because they sometimes pay nearly the same price for used stuff. But whole bikes seem to settle at the point you mentioned.

la dolce vita
    Log into eBay. Search on the item you want the value on and then hit "completed listings" on the left side of the page. You'll see what the selling (or not) price is for that item in recent auctions. Best way to value an item.
    insert witty comment here