RoadBikeReview Member

Shimano 9000 gruppo pricing...

You guys have probably noticed, but Shimano appears to be dropping their prices quite a bit as of late.

Anyways, I currently run sram red 2012 but have always liked the smooth, precise buttery shifting of shimano. I got a quote of $1000 OTD with installation for the Dura Ace gruppo LESS the cranks and brakes (I currently run 2013 s-work cranks and eebrakes on the SW SL4 Tarmac, so don't need the brakes or cranks).

Is this a good deal? okay? or just what you would've expected? If it's a good deal, I might pull the trigger and just sell off my Red parts and recoup some of that $1000 back. Please advise. Thank you.
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Planet Cyclery is listing a 9pc Dura Ace 9000 groupset on sale for $1695. If you do the math, and figure a 24% discount for 9000 crankset and brakes (discounts which can be found from some vendors including Texas Cyclesport when on sale), then you realize the deal you're being offered is OK, but not the best that can be had.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post
    Planet Cyclery is listing a 9pc Dura Ace 9000 groupset on sale for $1695. If you do the math, and figure a 24% discount for 9000 crankset and brakes (discounts which can be found from some vendors including Texas Cyclesport when on sale), then you realize the deal you're being offered is OK, but not the best that can be had.
    Thanks tvad. Good to know. I may try to negotiate the $1000 down a bit more if possible. Again, I have to take into account that this includes full installation. Although I can do much of the install myself, I'd just rather someone more experience do it and get it right the first time. Probably worth maybe $60-70 or so for install?
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
    I have to take into account that this includes full installation. =
    Installation where I live in Southern California runs around $150 (that's for a full build). I think the $1000 you're being offered is still high even if you factor in the cost of installation.

On the other hand, there's the value of goodwill at your LBS. If you squeeze them too hard, they may agree to a really low price, but they might make your life difficult if you return for other products or service.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tvad View Post

On the other hand, there's the value of goodwill at your LBS. If you squeeze them too hard, they may agree to a really low price, but they might make your life difficult if you return for other products or service.
    I hear ya. I don't want to be "that guy" that quote internet prices all the time as I do have "goodwill" at the shop. I mean, at the end of the day, they have to make some $ too. I don't mind paying a bit more than internet pricing as I get the product immediately and if there's every a problem, the shop can take care of me sooner than later. I guess I just wanted to know if the $1000 was a fair price. For instance, would hate to find out that I could've gotten the 7 piece set for $700 elsewhere. I am not going to sweat a difference of under $100.

Thanks again.
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    If this price is for shifters, FD, and RD plus cables and install...its about what you would expect to pay at any high end shop. Retail, basically.
    If it includes the cassette, chain, and son on- everything except the crank and brakes its a good deal.

Real nice to have someone to turn to if you need help, and while the internet is great, it isnt the best mechanic.

RoadBikeReview Member

It includes everything except cranks and brakes.
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    That's a good deal. Your shop isn't padding anything, especially when you consider they're throwing their time in. If you try to get that any lower, you're definitely being "that guy." IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    Go for it, then well your Sram stuff on eBay.
    Just make sure your wheels support an 11 speed cassette.

RoadBikeReview Member

Thanks for the replies. I went for it!! Started with Sram rival then force then red and then newer iterations of red over the years. I had thought about making the jump when the 7900 gruppo came out, but read and heard less than stellar things about that gruppo. But with so many positive reviews about the 9000 series, I decided to give DA a try. Love it!!!

Will review in another thread after a few more rides.

And yes, peace of mind from getting from a reputable lbs is a bonus.
    EyeGuy

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cni2i View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I went for it!! Started with Sram rival then force then red and then newer iterations of red over the years. I had thought about making the jump when the 7900 gruppo came out, but read and heard less than stellar things about that gruppo. But with so many positive reviews about the 9000 series, I decided to give DA a try. Love it!!!

Will review in another thread after a few more rides.

And yes, peace of mind from getting from a reputable lbs is a bonus.
    You wont regret your purchace

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    any new deals out there besides ebay?

RoadBikeReview Member

Quote Originally Posted by vette View Post
    any new deals out there besides ebay?
    If u r in Orange County, Ca... $1000 installed less cranks and brakes. I love my DA. Never thought I would like it that much....coming from the 2013 sram red.
    EyeGuy