Thread: Sram Quarq

RoadBikeReview Member

Sram Quarq

Ok Nashbar has SRAM Quarqs. Now its 20% off the $1299. That is getting pretty darn good. They refunded me the difference.
    Last edited by Ian45; 02-26-2013 at 10:23 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Wow, $1039 for Quarq BB30. That's a helluva price.
    2012 Bianchi Sempre (Celeste), SRAM Force

Masters Neophyte
    Huh. I wonder if this is in reaction to the new, cheaper Stage One powermeter?
    BTW, I don't see the extra 20% off- I see them on sale at Nashbar for $1400.
    Capt Willard: "Every minute I stay in this room, I get weaker, and every minute Charlie squats in the bush, he gets stronger."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RRRoubaix View Post
    Huh. I wonder if this is in reaction to the new, cheaper Stage One powermeter?
    BTW, I don't see the extra 20% off- I see them on sale at Nashbar for $1400.
    I think it is more likely a result of newer version of Quarq (Riken) coming out later this month, since it is a pretty different animal from the Stages power meter. I think the additional 20% off ended on Thursday, FWIW. It will probably happen again, so keep your eyes peeled. I was surprised to see the BB30 version going for the same price as the GXP--usually it is at least $50 more for BB30.

As an alternative, I know that power2max will start carrying some pretty great new options (including a nice crank by B.O.R., the RR688) in the next couple of weeks. Those are supposed to be just as good as Quarq, are cheaper, and do cadence as well as virtual R/L leg power separation.
    Last edited by digita6; 03-02-2013 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Adding model name of new Quarq PM
    2012 Bianchi Sempre (Celeste), SRAM Force

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah I ended up getting the quarq for under $1000. I called and said the price dropped and they gave me 20% off the price I paid before. They refunded me $240. I did not complain. Yeah they have the new Red quarq out. This is my first power meter and at that price I will take a slightly outdated model no problem. The differences do not seem great from what I have read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There are also two models newer than the Red Quarq that were just introduced (called Elsa and Riken). Honestly, I don't think there is a real difference between any of them (other than Elsa having some next gen Ant+ standard functionality baked in). I don't think any of the new ones perform better, are lighter, or have much more going for them than the one you got.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2012
    Deal is back on, even better. $1399 minus 15% and a stacking additional 17% off with a code that's on their home page = $987.69. They only have the 170mm BB30 version left but that's the version I wanted. Score!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    Anyone else out there find a deal on the S975 (BB30) power meter? I am hoping retailers will drop the price on these due tot the new Elsa and Riken models...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldbrook View Post
    Deal is back on, even better. $1399 minus 15% and a stacking additional 17% off with a code that's on their home page = $987.69. They only have the 170mm BB30 version left but that's the version I wanted. Score!
    Could you share the codes you used? I don't see any..

So. Calif.
    The biggest benefits of the new generation, Quarq Elsa & Riken is:

1) improvement (reduction) in Zero Offset drift.
    2) reduced sensitivity to chainrings (doesn't need recalibration when changing rings, and more chainring types are supported).
    3) improved water resistance (but remains to be seen).

These known issues have been discussed for years at the Google Wattage forum.

However, for the sometimes very good prices the old stock is being sold at, "zeroing" the meter more frequently during the ride may be a good tradeoff!

Nashbar's price is now back up to $1400 + sales tax if you live in a state where there are Performance Bike retail stores ... 9-10% in Calif !

Nashbar's price would have to get down to $1000 range, to tempt me ...