pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

What's the deal with Ribble?

Barely any wheels ... no Campy groups ... limited Shimano groups. Seems like the place has gone down hill since they changed hands.

Forever a Student
    Haven't bothered looking since the company sold.
    use a torque wrench

Russian Troll Farmer
    Are Ribble and Chain Reaction owned by the same company? I ordered several things from CRC last year, and one of them was a Ribble house brand. Might be like Performance and Nashbar; after they became owned by the same company, Nashbar concentrated on the low-end and less serious cycling, Performance on the high-end road stuff.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Are Ribble and Chain Reaction owned by the same company? I ordered several things from CRC last year, and one of them was a Ribble house brand. Might be like Performance and Nashbar; after they became owned by the same company, Nashbar concentrated on the low-end and less serious cycling, Performance on the high-end road stuff.
    Short answer is no.

Ribble was bought out by a small UK private equity operation called True Capital. They don't show any other bicycle related brands. The writeup here emphasises their bike building business rather than components.

Ribble Cycles – True True
    Ribble Cycles acquired by retail investment firm | Bicycle Business | BikeBiz

You may be confusing them with Wiggle which bought out CRC soon after the Ribble buyout.

Wiggle set to acquire Chain Reaction Cycles | Bicycle Business | BikeBiz
    Last edited by bikerjulio; 01-08-2018 at 03:04 PM.
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Regarding...Could also be Campy is screwing them due to their happiness to sell to USA customers and cut into Campy USA's profits.

Honestly...my 2015 Campy Chorus group will probably be the last Campy group I ever buy. Love the stuff...but consumables are too expensive as is just about everything else.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Forever a Student
    Nah, Merlin has great Campy stuff and prices right now.

Just ignore Ribble. We don't need people like the new owners in this business anyway.
    use a torque wrench

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Nah, Merlin has great Campy stuff and prices right now.

Just ignore Ribble. We don't need people like the new owners in this business anyway.

Merlin usually ships via anything but USPS for groups and parts...result you get dinged (often wrongly) with customs and carrier "convenience fees" adding 20% to your order price.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Regarding...Could also be Campy is screwing them due to their happiness to sell to USA customers and cut into Campy USA's profits.

Honestly...my 2015 Campy Chorus group will probably be the last Campy group I ever buy. Love the stuff...but consumables are too expensive as is just about everything else.
    Maybe. I really don't understand why it costs so much more to buy Campy from Campy USA then from the UK. Sure, some of the delta is not paying the VAT tax, but why does Campy charge so much more to its US customers. If I had to pay US prices I must reconsider Campy too

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Maybe. I really don't understand why it costs so much more to buy Campy from Campy USA then from the UK. Sure, some of the delta is not paying the VAT tax, but why does Campy charge so much more to its US customers. If I had to pay US prices I must reconsider Campy too
    Ribble is a bicycle manufacturer -- that's how they can buy component groups direct from the component manufacturers. They then sell some of them on the open market as opposed to selling bicycles with said components. Their prices are probably half what I'd pay for the same components if I bought them from my LBS. I've always wondered how long this can go on before the component manufacturers put a stop to it. Campy is so expensive in the U.S. that I'd never buy it. I prefer it to Shimano, but not that strongly. Campy is running itself into the ground with their marketing strategy. The new Potenza group is obviously supposed to compete with Shimano Ultegra -- I'd prefer Ultegra. Has anyone seen a bike at a shop with Campy on it recently?

Kind of like buying a Colnago frame -- I believe that there's only one importer and they jack the price way up thinking that no one will bother buying a frame from an overseas vendor. And probably most people won't.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Ribble is a bicycle manufacturer -- that's how they can buy component groups direct from the component manufacturers. They then sell some of them on the open market as opposed to selling bicycles with said components. Their prices are probably half what I'd pay for the same components if I bought them from my LBS. I've always wondered how long this can go on before the component manufacturers put a stop to it. Campy is so expensive in the U.S. that I'd never buy it. I prefer it to Shimano, but not that strongly. Campy is running itself into the ground with their marketing strategy. The new Potenza group is obviously supposed to compete with Shimano Ultegra -- I'd prefer Ultegra. Has anyone seen a bike at a shop with Campy on it recently?

Kind of like buying a Colnago frame -- I believe that there's only one importer and they jack the price way up thinking that no one will bother buying a frame from an overseas vendor. And probably most people won't.

Thing is nearly everyone in the cycling industry does it. Shimano being the major OEM/parts player just hasn't been bothered to yet, and they're the exception.

-Tubus/Ortleb touring racks/bags are 50% in the EU what they are here in the USA....There's only one distributor in the USA for their wares, and it it Ortlieb-Tubus USA.
    -Speedplay does it. Why do you think you never see online sales for Speedplay?
    -SRAM now does it

Could keep going.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Thing is nearly everyone in the cycling industry does it. Shimano being the major OEM/parts player just hasn't been bothered to yet, and they're the exception.

-Tubus/Ortleb touring racks/bags are 50% in the EU what they are here in the USA....There's only one distributor in the USA for their wares, and it it Ortlieb-Tubus USA.
    -Speedplay does it. Why do you think you never see online sales for Speedplay?
    -SRAM now does it

Could keep going.
    Geez -- maybe some of these companies could look at Shimano's business model and realize why they dominate the market so much. Virtually every bike I see at my LBS has Shimano Ultegra on it.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Geez -- maybe some of these companies could look at Shimano's business model and realize why they dominate the market so much. Virtually every bike I see at my LBS has Shimano Ultegra on it.
    Depends on your LBS...The SAG sponsor for a certain state cycling tour hosted the route unveiling party last month. Which is nice because I don't frequent that LBS much (not my area of town), and gives a few hours to window shop and see what is current.

Several thousand feet of floor space. Basically no roadie bikes on the floor at all. Lots of flatbars, most the middling/low-tier Salsa line of dropbar gravel bikes....Not a single Ultegra or better bike anywhere to be seen. Actually there was ONE, it was a $4,000 Giant Moped that I don't think they can legally sell as it exceeds the speed rating for "e-bicycles". All the Salsa bikes had SRAM or Shimano Claris/Deore parts.

They used to deal many roadies, they're getting out of that part of the business. Not where the money is or the customers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013

I'm kicking myself for not getting a Record group, sans cranks, for +- $800 from Ribble last year, just to have it ready for eventual new Colnago (also don't get/support the Colnago 40%+ USA markup).

For comparable Campy prices stateside, Velomine and Texas Cyclesport, when on sale, are pretty close.